Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-31-2012, 07:01 PM   #1
zannibal

Need some variation for my playing

Yo dawgs!

For past year or even longer I've been focusing on speed and Malmsteen's songs. Now that I've became pretty damn fast player I though I could get some variation for my playing.

I can shred, pretty damn fast if needed, and also do legatos and sweep and stuff like that but it gets repetitive pretty fast. Just listen two songs from Malmsteen and you've already heard it all

So, any ideas what I should learn? Because I'm almost out of ideas. There's two things I'm interested in, first being punk solos (if you know that "metal vs. punk" video) and that second being flamenco. First one is quite easy, but I have no idea where to start with flamenco. And I mean on solo part, I'm not that interested in learning flamenco rhythm thing

So, in a short way: I need some variation to my solos but I have no idea where to find some and people here most likely know :P And also if there's someone who knows what would be the song to start with flamenco melodies / shredding (whateveryoucallit), feel free to tell.
zannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:48 PM   #2
Geldin

If you're looking for some new things to play, check the recommendation thread. Off the top of my head, Protest the Hero's music might appeal to you, but I'd need a lot more to go off of than what you're giving here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zannibal
And I mean on solo part, I'm not that interested in learning flamenco rhythm thing

The thing is, most flamenco music that I've heard isn't solo oriented. Nor is Spanish guitar in general, or even classical guitar. Most of what defines Spanish guitar and flamenco music is the sense of rhythm and syncopation, so if you leave that out, you don't have a whole lot else to go on.

The album is streaming here
Geldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:23 PM   #3
Andy Pollow

I just started liking jazz fusion. I want to mix that with neoclassical like Macalpine has done alot. Lots of shred but a whole completely different style musically than neoclassical.
Andy Pollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:40 AM   #4
Livingtime

Shred-wise you should look for MORE players, like... lots! in moderation of course
You'll notice everyone has their own style, and there is your variation.

You should check out Flamingo by Paul Gilbert. That could be what you are looking for

Last edited by Livingtime : 01-01-2013 at 12:41 AM.
Livingtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:23 PM   #5
zannibal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geldin
Most of what defines Spanish guitar and flamenco music is the sense of rhythm and syncopation, so if you leave that out, you don't have a whole lot else to go on.

I know, I know. But I was interested in the melodies.. Would be pretty badass to have flamenco-sounding solo in a metal song

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingtime
You should check out Flamingo by Paul Gilbert. That could be what you are looking for

Yeah, just something like that. Yngwie Malmsteen got his "Flamenco" song also now that I think about it.

Oh, and yeah, jazz would be at least good practice for fingers.
zannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:59 PM   #6
Geldin

Quote:
Originally Posted by zannibal
I know, I know. But I was interested in the melodies.. Would be pretty badass to have flamenco-sounding solo in a metal song

The thing is, flamenco is defined by the rhythmic components. If you leave out the syncopation and the strumming techniques, you're not getting flamenco. If you want some examples of Spanish guitar in metal, Vital Remains has a few songs (Entwined by Vengeance comes to mind) with "Spanish guitar" solo lines. The thing is, the only thing about it that is even remotely "Spanish" is that it's using the phrygian scale and it's played on a nylon string guitar.

If you want stuff that has a hispanic vibe to it but still sounds like electric guitar music, check out Al di Meola. He uses a lot of those syncopated ideas in his lead work and is definitely worth a listen.

The album is streaming here
Geldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:31 PM   #7
QPC_Sam

It's not Flamenco, not even Spanish, but you might be interested in Rodrigo y Gabriela:

They started off in a metal band.

Rate This Thread: