Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-01-2013, 12:48 AM   #1
sonny bb
UG's New-ish Guy

Awesome oppourtunity with a conflict of interest

So I have a relative who is a professional musician who wants to more or less, take me under his philosophical wing so I can become one as well. It would be me playing either guitar or bass and it would give me the opportunity to play big gigs, potentially play with some big names and make money. He does private lessons too, which is something I'm interested in doing too. This is awesome!!!
The conflict of interest would be that my band might have to take a smaller seat. While I don't see my band mates as being upset that I'd be getting paid and achieving this part of my larger goal, the way things look, it might affect my availability, particularly at night, which is when rehearsals and gigs of any sort typically occur. What we are pursing with my band now, is effectively what I'd be jumping into with this new gig. My mom, who used to be a professional singer has brought up to me that I might at some point, have to put the other aside. I've been brushing up on my R&B, Jazz and Blues, because I'm gonna do this, but I'm sorta at a crossroads. Any thoughts? Advice? Common experience?
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0<) HA!!!
<(*~*)>

Last edited by sonny bb : 01-01-2013 at 12:50 AM.
sonny bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:58 AM   #2
chronowarp

Uh. Seems like a pretty clear choice. If it comes down to having to choose one or the other, then choose the one that you think potentially gives you most opportunities in the future.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:25 AM   #3
20Tigers

Get your foot in the door and get paid. When you're not working work really hard and consistently on developing your skills. Every waking minute.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:57 AM   #4
Jacques-Henri

Bands break up. At least you know you'll have somewhere to go.

EDIT : You won't be THAT missed, the Red Hot Chili Peppers went through 3 different guitarists and they're doing pretty fine
Jacques-Henri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:59 AM   #5
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

If the other band goes, it goes. Such is the life of a band. But this is not an issue that you have to face yet, it's all hypothetical and worrying about nothing.

It's like dumping a girl because you are thinking of applying for a job that might not leave you any time for a relationship. A little too dramatic hey?

And otherwise take up the opportunity with the better musician.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:39 AM   #6
sonny bb
UG's New-ish Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques-Henri
Bands break up. At least you know you'll have somewhere to go.

EDIT : You won't be THAT missed, the Red Hot Chili Peppers went through 3 different guitarists and they're doing pretty fine

Only I have the practice space, book the shows and I write everything....not saying they couldn't go on without me, but it'd be unlikely for those reasons and many others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHB
If the other band goes, it goes. Such is the life of a band. But this is not an issue that you have to face yet, it's all hypothetical and worrying about nothing.

It's like dumping a girl because you are thinking of applying for a job that might not leave you any time for a relationship. A little too dramatic hey?

And otherwise take up the opportunity with the better musician.

Well I think I've said before here that I like to think ahead for every possible situation and being that this is a pretty big one for me or anyone in my position.
btw I see nothing wrong with dumping a girl for your future.
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0<) HA!!!
<(*~*)>
Old 01-01-2013, 04:52 AM   #7
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

^^^ I was actually trying to give a comedic example as you hadn't applied for the job, been offered the job, or even know if you won't have the time. You may even have enough time for both. Hey kinda like your situation with the band hey?

Just take the offer, deal with issues as they come.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:06 AM   #8
sonny bb
UG's New-ish Guy

I know what you you meant....it was a joke....I forgot the at the end. I've obviously been offered the gig or else I wouldn't be thinking such things! My current band has been a labor of love. We just passed our first year and we've been getting awesome reactions from people and we're about to record an EP and get on the road, but I also got this new thing that is very similar, but not quite as personal on an artistic level, but it would getting paid to play guitar/bass, so I can't help but get to thinking about what I'd do if I do at some point have to choose
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0<) HA!!!
<(*~*)>

Last edited by sonny bb : 01-01-2013 at 05:10 AM.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:29 AM   #9
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

^^^ Recording an EP hey? Most bands break up soon after recording so I'd say the timing is perfect

If it comes like to "choose", go for the one you enjoy more. At this pointy don't know which one you'll enjoy more because you haven't tried both. I reckon that for a long time, possibly forever, you'll have time for both. I sure do, plus a full time job.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:22 AM   #10
sonny bb
UG's New-ish Guy

True true haha lots of bands in my area have been dropping like flies, mostly due to member loss though. I guess the enjoyment factor would come in, but this new thing would be my "full time job" so it's basically going from pursuing that aspect of my goals to being right in it. My family has a lot of professional musicians, so I guess the luck thing has started to kick in. I don't know. I guess we'll get there when we get there
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0<) HA!!!
<(*~*)>

Last edited by sonny bb : 01-01-2013 at 06:23 AM.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:39 PM   #11
sonny bb
UG's New-ish Guy

BUMP/UPDATE!!
I got the gig Gonna do some restaurants, festivals, weddings, and stuff like that and I get paid!!! Since bass players are the hardest to get a hold of, I can make more money doing that than with guitar, but I can still make a lot with guitar for various reasons!!! Gotta admit, I'm very excited!!!
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0<) HA!!!
<(*~*)>
Old 01-08-2013, 01:22 AM   #12
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

^^^^ Nice work dude, all you have to do now is be professional - show up on time, learn songs in advance, play what is asked of you without question - and everything else should fall into place.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:26 AM   #13
sonny bb
UG's New-ish Guy

US

I got a disc with some songs I gotta learn that I'm gonna pop in tonight. Being professional, in lowest terms, comes down to being prepared and not being a jerk. That's how I see it, regardless of the industry.
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0<) HA!!!
<(*~*)>

Last edited by sonny bb : 01-08-2013 at 01:28 AM.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:39 AM   #14
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

^^^ Yep that's pretty much it. You get that disc you have, learn it all, soon someone will give you more etc. You het really good at figuring out songs by ear
Old 01-08-2013, 02:15 AM   #15
sonny bb
UG's New-ish Guy

My ear is half of what got me the gig. That's largely how I learned. Not that I can't read, but it's not as natural or as simple as me merely hearing what's going on.
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0<) HA!!!
<(*~*)>

Rate This Thread: