Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-01-2013, 03:14 AM   #1
TheClown

Glitchy sound/noise in Ableton

I've lately been having problems while recording. I've been used to recording one-tracked songs directly from Guitar Rig 5, but lately I got myself a MIDI keyboard and started using Ableton and Absynth.

Keeping things short, I can't have more than 2 tracks going on or bad things happen. Listen to the glitchy interference sound in the background, and this only with 2 tracks (I could be totally wrong and it could only be my headphones):

https://soundcloud.com/lezcano/tercera

I kinda managed to disguise it in Snap City by lowering the volume of everything.

Something similar happens with my guitar and guitar rig 5, after some time the same sounds appears but it's more distinctive, if I open and close the ASIO configuration window it fixes it, but appears again after a while, usually a minute. Could it be bad configuration settings?

PC specs:
I5 2500k cpu
Radeon HD 6870 video card
Asrock z77 extreme 4 MOBO
No sound card

Last edited by TheClown : 01-01-2013 at 05:21 AM.
TheClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:43 AM   #2
chatterbox272

Your soundcloud is set to private, you'll need to fix that for us to listen. It sounds like you need to raise the buffer size. If you have to small a buffer it causes stuff like what you're describing so try turning that up a bit. I usually turn mine right up as high as I can, then work my way down until the errors start occuring, then bring it back up to the last number that worked.
Masquerade: #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Caboose
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:09 AM   #3
TheClown

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatterbox272
Your soundcloud is set to private, you'll need to fix that for us to listen. It sounds like you need to raise the buffer size. If you have to small a buffer it causes stuff like what you're describing so try turning that up a bit. I usually turn mine right up as high as I can, then work my way down until the errors start occuring, then bring it back up to the last number that worked.

It's not on private, try again please. How does increasing buffer size affects audio quality? I've noticed that when I increase it from the default 512 to something like 2000, it takes like .5 to 1 second for my PC to recognize the signal of my instrument, basically a short delay.

EDIT: The link had a typo, that was the problem, thanks.

Last edited by TheClown : 01-01-2013 at 05:21 AM.
TheClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:29 AM   #4
chatterbox272

I don't know all the technicalities about it but basically the larger buffer you have, the more latency (delay) you get on the input and output signals. But if the buffer isn't large enough you get artifacts in the sound (that glitchy noise you're hearing). So the aim is to have the buffer as low as possible, without causing artifacts.

I'm pretty sure that's the problem because it doesn't affect the file itself, and I can't hear a problem off soundcloud.
Masquerade: #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Caboose
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: