Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-01-2013, 05:11 PM   #21
krehzeekid
Me like guitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince--hey
would a marshall mg30fx amp be good

no.

they're absolutely horrific amps.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:14 PM   #22
vince--hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by krehzeekid
no.

they're absolutely horrific amps.

sorry im kind of a noob when it comes to amps but what would b better a fender mustang 100 watt or a peavey vypyr 75
vince--hey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:16 PM   #23
ZepJunkie
Strataholic

Quote:
sorry im kind of a noob when it comes to amps but what would b better a fender mustang 100 watt or a peavey vypyr 75

Depends, how much are you willing to dup into effects pedals, because to get all my tones i have 3 different amps and prob 1500 bucks worth of pedals.. But a modeller you only need one amp, but it wont sound nearly as good, but if your not getting paid to do it, thats more than good.

As a first amp, i'd say mustang
ZepJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:31 PM   #24
LP1951

Quote:

In the 60s Fender made the best combos, but IMHO Peavey has been making much better amps than Fender for the past 30 years
Old 01-01-2013, 05:46 PM   #25
krehzeekid
Me like guitars

I'm still standing by the VK 112.

you don't need a pile of different sounds to get into blink and zep territory. I would suggest bypassing the modelling amps and getting a decent 2 channel tube amp. you won't get the variety of sounds, but the sounds you get will be way stronger.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:55 PM   #26
vince--hey

Quote:
I'm still standing by the VK 112.

you don't need a pile of different sounds to get into blink and zep territory. I would suggest bypassing the modelling amps and getting a decent 2 channel tube amp. you won't get the variety of sounds, but the sounds you get will be way stronger.

okay and which 2 channel tube amp would you recommend
Old 01-01-2013, 05:57 PM   #27
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP1951
In the 60s Fender made the best combos, but IMHO Peavey has been making much better amps than Fender for the past 30 years

While I have recommended Peaveys myself, I still take them on a case by case basis.

After a side-by-side comparison of several brands when shopping for myself, the Peavey kicked itself out of the final 3 by delivering some real icepicks to the ears- both when I tried it, and when the salesman did as well.

Down to a Fender and a Vox, I bought the Fender HRD.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 01-01-2013 at 05:58 PM.
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:07 PM   #28
Pink Muse
V Aww Yeahh. V

Quote:
would a marshall mg30fx amp be good

No.

The Super Champ wouldn't be bad, for No Quarter and such you can pop a fuzz pedal on. Or just always use a fuzz pedal.

The Peavey Classic 30 is a solid amp. My friend's dad has one, and it doesn't have enough gain for heavier styles, but that shouldn't worry you. They've got great cleans, a nice overdrive, and they're pretty inexpensive.

I would personally go for an Orange Tiny Terror combo, used you can get a combo by stretching your budget a little. Page used Orange on one of his recent tours and raved over them, so there's that.

Would you run down past the fence?
Tell us, is the black box lying?
Pink Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:09 AM   #29
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:

+1

i'm not really sure of what's available for $300, but that sounds like sound advice.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:51 AM   #30
kangaxxter
tune up turn on rock out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc

i'm not really sure of what's available for $300, but that sounds like sound advice.

Like nothing.

You don't start to find solid 2-channel tube amps until the $400+ range. At $300 or less, you're still looking at sub-5w one channel items, like the Champion or Vox AC4TV.

Guitar

Whenever I hear someone say that they play exclusively a single genre, I always assume that they're just a terrible guitarist.
kangaxxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:31 AM   #31
Fisheth24
UG's only Dean user

Could perhaps get a used Laney AOR, Peavy Windsor or a used Terror of some sort? But I've got no idea on pricing that aren't outside Europe. So sorry for not being much help.

Fisheth24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:40 AM   #32
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangaxxter
Like nothing.

You don't start to find solid 2-channel tube amps until the $400+ range. At $300 or less, you're still looking at sub-5w one channel items, like the Champion or Vox AC4TV.

ah right

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:47 PM   #33
ecvMatt
clamper

Class 5?

Seriously, I'm not a fan of iphones and guitars mixing.
ecvMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:14 PM   #34
Volcz
The Vox Dude

Mate, you've already made a thread like this. How come you've changed your requirements? Are you spamming? First you said you want a metal tone, like avenged sevenfold - now you're saying you want classic rock like Zeppelin.

There's a big difference between the two tones, in classic rock the mids are emphasized whereas in new metal bands, they tend to scoop them.

We already gave you suggestions for a used 6505+ combo but since you can't afford one you said you would settle with a Vypyr.

Don't bother with an MG or a Spyder. Probably the two worst modelers you can buy.

I'm now going to assume you don't want to play metal, and just want a classic rock/182 tone. So I'm going to recommend a used AC15 or used Peavey Classic 30.

Trust us, and listen to our advice. Otherwise you can go ahead and waste your money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eppicurt
Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedInTheRain
hey, be nice to the hipster.
I hear they use false bypass switches.

It's, like, so ironic.
Volcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:34 PM   #35
unplugged89

Quote:
It really wouldn't matter what guitar you threw in front of that amp, it would still sound like a hobo farting in a trashcan.

unplugged89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:19 PM   #36
vince--hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcz
Mate, you've already made a thread like this. How come you've changed your requirements? Are you spamming? First you said you want a metal tone, like avenged sevenfold - now you're saying you want classic rock like Zeppelin.

There's a big difference between the two tones, in classic rock the mids are emphasized whereas in new metal bands, they tend to scoop them.

We already gave you suggestions for a used 6505+ combo but since you can't afford one you said you would settle with a Vypyr.

Don't bother with an MG or a Spyder. Probably the two worst modelers you can buy.

I'm now going to assume you don't want to play metal, and just want a classic rock/182 tone. So I'm going to recommend a used AC15 or used Peavey Classic 30.

Trust us, and listen to our advice. Otherwise you can go ahead and waste your money.

ya im not spamming and i didnt mean to affend you its just that i play both classic rock/182 and metal, but i was debating weather to get 182 or metal tone thats it and i wanted to see which amps were the best for both tones. i decided to go with the blink tone. like i said i didnt mean to affend you and if i did for whatever reason, im sorry.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:31 PM   #37
vince--hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcz

hey is a peavey vypyr and a sanpera 2 for 400$ a good deal or 350$ for a fender superchamp
Old 01-02-2013, 05:04 PM   #38
Pink Muse
V Aww Yeahh. V

Quote:
hey is a peavey vypyr and a sanpera 2 for 400$ a good deal or 350$ for a fender superchamp

Which Vypyr? 30 or 75 with a Sanpera, not really. Tube combo, probably, depending on condition.

Would you run down past the fence?
Tell us, is the black box lying?
Pink Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:04 PM   #39
vince--hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Muse
Which Vypyr? 30 or 75 with a Sanpera, not really. Tube combo, probably, depending on condition.

vypyr 75
Old 01-02-2013, 06:11 PM   #40
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Guitar Center has a used Vypyr 60 with a Sanpera for $249.99 and they ship to Canada...

Rate This Thread: