Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-02-2013, 06:20 PM   #41
arabmetallion

mustangs sounds great for classic rock imo. The mustang III is a exactly in your price range, has good speakers and is very customisable

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampl...uitar-combo-amp
Zoom 505 II
ESP Ltd MH-50
arabmetallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:51 PM   #42
vince--hey

vince--hey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:07 AM   #43
Alphaform

Don't get a mustang - their metal tones are absolutely terrible.
Alphaform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:26 AM   #44
Wisthekiller
UG's Nigel Tufnel

Used Class 5 and get a TS later.

Upright fretted electric bass build!
Wisthekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:31 AM   #45
Volcz
The Vox Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisthekiller
Used Class 5 and get a TS later.

Class 5's are something you'd want to avoid. You'd be better off with a DSL401 although that doesn't do the best metal tone.

Everyone replying in this thread may as well read the TS's original thread.

Mate, the Vypyr is still the amp you would want to get right now.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1580373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eppicurt
Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedInTheRain
hey, be nice to the hipster.
I hear they use false bypass switches.

It's, like, so ironic.
Volcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:08 AM   #46
ekomouse

Hey man we've all been in the same boat when you're getting better but your tone isn't. If you're looking Led Zep tone I highly suggest getting a guitar with Humbuckers. The Squier if it's an HSS is most likely not too hot regardless.

You need to evenly distribute your cash between a good amp and a good guitar and both the amp and guitar need to mate well. For what you're looking for I would suggest a Les Paul type guitar; which can be found cheap in the modern industry (Rondo, SX, etc).

For an amp if you want good distorted tone I would suggest a small tube amp. You already have a distortion pedal so you can drive the amp clean (which will be loud; trust me) and when you have the chance to play loud you can crank the amp and hear the magic. Seriously.

Don't get a modelling amp you'll find they are jacks of all trades masters of none.

Solid state amps, while the high wattage may be enticing, have a very sterile sound (great for jazz/cleans) and generally don't have an "organic" overdrive that is dynamic and responsive to your playing.

Check out the Marshall Class 5, Epiphone Valve Jr, Vox AC4TV. Don't let the wattage fool you, these amps will sound louder and better than their solid state/modeling cousins.
ekomouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:33 AM   #47
Volcz
The Vox Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekomouse
Hey man we've all been in the same boat when you're getting better but your tone isn't. If you're looking Led Zep tone I highly suggest getting a guitar with Humbuckers. The Squier if it's an HSS is most likely not too hot regardless.

You need to evenly distribute your cash between a good amp and a good guitar and both the amp and guitar need to mate well. For what you're looking for I would suggest a Les Paul type guitar; which can be found cheap in the modern industry (Rondo, SX, etc).

For an amp if you want good distorted tone I would suggest a small tube amp. You already have a distortion pedal so you can drive the amp clean (which will be loud; trust me) and when you have the chance to play loud you can crank the amp and hear the magic. Seriously.

Don't get a modelling amp you'll find they are jacks of all trades masters of none.

Solid state amps, while the high wattage may be enticing, have a very sterile sound (great for jazz/cleans) and generally don't have an "organic" overdrive that is dynamic and responsive to your playing.

Check out the Marshall Class 5, Epiphone Valve Jr, Vox AC4TV. Don't let the wattage fool you, these amps will sound louder and better than their solid state/modeling cousins.

With his budget though he has no choice but to go with a modeller. Of course they're jack of all trades, but he's just a beginner at guitar and rather the Vypyr will help his ears develop for the sort of tone he's after.

No, a new guitar should NOT be a priority AT ALL right now. Amp makes a much bigger difference, and with is current one, all his money should be spent on it.

Later down the road if he eventually decides he wants to play exclusively metal or another genre, he can upgrade his guitar. But for now it's not necessary. I only run guitars with single coils and can achieve a Led Zep tone with a couple twitches of the tone knob. Most of this comes from my AC30.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eppicurt
Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedInTheRain
hey, be nice to the hipster.
I hear they use false bypass switches.

It's, like, so ironic.
Volcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:42 AM   #48
ekomouse

^When most people think of Led Zep they think of cranked Marshall through Les Paul rather than his tele or less distorted rhythm sounds. AC30 + Singles while a great tone combo is not a Marshall with a Paul.

It is much better to buy gear that will last. Garbage gear will be outgrown and in the end a waste of money. Case in point, the situation he is in right now.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:12 AM   #49
rockstar256

Me and my mate got Roland Cube, Roland Cube 30xl should do!
rockstar256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:43 AM   #50
randomguy2000
<3's ToppScore

dude, you need to listen to suggestions.
Is that vypyr 60 with sanpera still on guitar center used?
If so, just do yourself a favour and buy it.
A guitar should NOT be your main priority now.
Also, listen to Volcz

What you really need is a new amp.

(Anything I missed?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
I have been hearing about MG amps lately. I have heard good about them, but only a few times have they been talked about here.

randomguy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:25 AM   #51
ekomouse

I mean.. I never said he should prioritize on a guitar. Just that if he's looking for a certain tone he should logically get a guitar that is similar to JP's iconic Paul. Seems logical to me.

You can find a used tube amp that actually has good tone for 150-250 dollars all day on eBay. All day.

Why would anyone want a modelling amp for more money?
Old 01-03-2013, 08:30 AM   #52
randomguy2000
<3's ToppScore

Yeah but good luck finding an tube amp that does stairway to heaven up to avenged sevenfold well.
I think i would prefer a modelling amp for his needs- TUBE IS NOT ALWAYS THE BEST OPTION.

(Anything I missed?)

Quote:
I have been hearing about MG amps lately. I have heard good about them, but only a few times have they been talked about here.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:33 AM   #53
ekomouse

"Genres: i like to play classic rock, like Led Zeppelin."
Old 01-03-2013, 10:28 AM   #54
randomguy2000
<3's ToppScore

Quote:
avenged sevenfold, asking alexandria, blink-182

from his profile page.
dude- his profile picture is avenged sevenfold.
plus, look at his older thread which volcz linked to.

(Anything I missed?)

Quote:

Last edited by randomguy2000 : 01-03-2013 at 10:32 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:23 PM   #55
vince--hey

i messaged this guy online and he said that he would sell a peavey vypyr 75 for 300$. what should i do

Last edited by vince--hey : 01-03-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:33 PM   #56
Pink Muse
V Aww Yeahh. V

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince--hey
i messaged this guy online and he said that he would sell a peavey vypyr 75 for 300$. what should i do

Tell him they sell for half that and less regularly, offer him $150. Don't go above $175.

Would you run down past the fence?
Tell us, is the black box lying?
Pink Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:48 PM   #57
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:

You should ignore him and quit looking at the 75 watt Vypyrs.

Go get a 60 watt tube version and be happy for a long time.

Ignore anyone that says you need a new guitar first, they are wrong. Not mistaken, just flat out wrong.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:57 PM   #58
vince--hey

i am not getting a guitar, i think im going to save up and get the tube 60. the tube 60 can you put an amp head on that
Old 01-03-2013, 01:11 PM   #59
dannyalcatraz

One thing you might do is keep an eye out for store demo sales.

Example: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TSA30d1

And regarding its status as a demo, Sweetwater says:
Quote:
At Sweetwater, "Demo" usually means one of the following: It might have spent a little time in our display room. A Sales Engineer may have put it through its paces to explain it to customers. It could have been tried out for a few days. We treat demo models exactly as we treat new gear. You get a full manufacturer's warranty, as well as Sweetwater's commitment to customer satisfaction. Other than it having been in someone's hands or hanging on a rack for a brief period of time, it's as good as new - at a great bargain! Please note that this product is available in limited or single quantities. While we do our best to keep our online product information up to date, we cannot guarantee that this product will be in stock at the time your order is placed (for instance, another customer could be purchasing this product as you read this text). If you would like to verify that this product is in stock prior to making your purchase, please contact us or call toll free (800) 222-4700.

Yeah, they want to sell it, but they want you to be happy with it.

Reputable retailers will give you decent prices on demo gear, and it will be in decent shape. Even if there is no warranty, they'll probably have given it a once-over just to make sure its not a lemon- that way, they don't kill future sales opportunities.

And, because its a store demo, even though it may have taken some abuse, it won't be anything like someone might have out it through personally.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 01-03-2013 at 01:14 PM.
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:20 PM   #60
randomguy2000
<3's ToppScore

Quote:
i am not getting a guitar, i think im going to save up and get the tube 60. the tube 60 can you put an amp head on that

wut?
Please explain.
And good call on saving up for the tube 60

(Anything I missed?)

Quote:

Rate This Thread: