Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-01-2013, 05:57 PM   #1
Usernames sucks

How many musicians nowadays use clicktracks live?

Hi, i just wonder how about how many bands do or have drummers who do use clicktracks live? If just the drummer does use it, how do the others hold tempo with the click when the drums isnt playing?
https://soundcloud.com/kjartan-thor...fe-in-purgatory

Last edited by Usernames sucks : 01-01-2013 at 06:40 PM.
Usernames sucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:10 PM   #2
AeolianWolf
Tonal Vigilante

only the ones who consist of poor musicians and hipsters who insist that their music be played at 314.159 BPM

a musician should be able to keep any tempo in his own head.

not to mention that in pieces which require things like accelerandos or rallentandos or some such performance devices are far more often than not complicated by click tracks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elintasokas
Dude, AeolianWolf knows what he's talking about.
i smell a theme.
AeolianWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:05 PM   #3
minieme007

I'd say a good percentage of them, especially the ones that use in-ear monitor systems. For a band like Muse, with videos, backing tracks and arpeggiators that they have to be perfectly in time with, a click is pretty much a must. Hell, even a relatively unknown Melbourne band uses clicks and backing tracks. I'd say for the band members that aren't drummers, they'd have the click in their ears as a count down to the song, then nothing. Maybe it'd come back in for the bits without drums, that's certainly the way I'd do it. For less rigid live shows it wouldn't really be necessary though.
minieme007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:12 PM   #4
schwinginbatman
Excuse me, good sir!

Probably just bands that use backing tracks, I'd say. There really isn't any reason to use one otherwise, unless you're anal about the speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrashIsWin
It's like someone listening to some really old blues or whatever and going, "What a prick. Obviously you ****ing 'woke up this morning'. Twat."
schwinginbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:01 PM   #5
Junior#1
Is SouTaicho Yamamoto-san

Whenever my band plays a gig our drummer will put on a metronome for a couple seconds before each song to get the beat in his head. The rest of us just follow him.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Junior#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:24 PM   #6
food1010
Bassist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeolianWolf
only the ones who consist of poor musicians and hipsters who insist that their music be played at 314.159 BPM

not to mention that in pieces which require things like accelerandos or rallentandos or some such performance devices are far more often than not complicated by click tracks.
This. Any music that is alive shouldn't stick to one tempo for a whole song.

That said, every musician should practice to a metronome. I don't do it enough. Come to think of it, I don't practice enough (or hardly at all really)...
Old 01-01-2013, 10:32 PM   #7
primusfan
Conspiracy Music Theorist

in one band, we have in-ear monitors and the drummer runs his through a separate mixer with a click. the difference is noticeable. i've learned from the experience that if it feels way too slow on stage, it's probably the correct tempo. we had someone walk by a tent we were playing at the state fair and think we were the actual band we were covering. i have no doubt the click makes the difference.

that said, it's nothing i'm super anal about. i'm not super purist and say no click, but i'm not exclusively into click tracks. if i had to choose, i'd always rather play the gig with a drummer on a click though.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:33 PM   #8
food1010
Bassist

Quote:
Originally Posted by primusfan
that said, it's nothing i'm super anal about. i'm not super purist and say no click, but i'm not exclusively into click tracks. if i had to choose, i'd always rather play the gig with a drummer on a click though.
It's certainly better to use a click than to be terribly out of time.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:35 PM   #9
primusfan
Conspiracy Music Theorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by food1010
It's certainly better to use a click than to be terribly out of time.

the difference is a lot more subtle than that in my experience. but you are correct.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:36 AM   #10
chronowarp

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeolianWolf

I always gotta double take when I read your posts.

Are you being serious?

What about bands that don't have triggered cues in their live performances? Synth parts, 808 drops, reverse cymbal washes...and myraid of studio or otherwise musical sounds that they can't produce on the stage - but is integral to their live show/music? You gotta feed a click to the drummer so that the entire song is in time, and these things are occurring on cue.

Last edited by chronowarp : 01-02-2013 at 02:38 AM.
chronowarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:45 AM   #11
Zoomyrs1

Quote:
Originally Posted by primusfan
in one band, we have in-ear monitors and the drummer runs his through a separate mixer with a click. the difference is noticeable. i've learned from the experience that if it feels way too slow on stage, it's probably the correct tempo.

Agree here. All of the nerves and adrenaline playing live tend to make people play everything fast.
Zoomyrs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:34 AM   #12
AeolianWolf
Tonal Vigilante

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronowarp
I always gotta double take when I read your posts.

that's probably because you're a hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronowarp
Are you being serious?

about sentence 1? not really. maybe a little, but mostly no. about sentences 2 and 3? you better believe it.

general rule of thumb: if i don't use a period, i'm not serious. period = serious. they even almost rhyme, kinda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elintasokas
Dude, AeolianWolf knows what he's talking about.
i smell a theme.

Last edited by AeolianWolf : 01-02-2013 at 03:35 AM.
AeolianWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:44 AM   #13
chronowarp

Ok, great. We all know you should be able to play metronomically without a metronome - that's not the issue. How do you resolve the problem that many live acts have triggered sections in their music, which requires that the backing is precisely in time (tempo and exact placement in the song)?

T
Old 01-02-2013, 04:27 AM   #14
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

^^^ I'm with you there, if there's triggered effects/videos, there has to be a click.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:44 AM   #15
Hail
kill both bass players

all depends on the show/performer(s)/music

outside of the realm of over-the-top pyrotechnics/music that's incredibly exacting, however, aeolian's right in that it eliminates a lot of dynamics

however, when you're looking at a band like periphery (who popularized a lot of the stuff in recent prog, including backing tracks/clicks) who have 3 guitarists and some fairly technical bits and pieces, it's very difficult to imagine them just going off and hoping the vibe will carry them through. if one person loses the tempo even slightly, it automatically sounds absolutely terrible.
Hail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:21 PM   #16
Usernames sucks

It seems just a little dumb that you never can stop/hold out a song, improvise, do stuff with the audience etc just because of the click :/
https://soundcloud.com/kjartan-thor...fe-in-purgatory
Usernames sucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:32 PM   #17
Nietsche
Registered Hoover

I don't see how having three guitarists necessitates having a click track. Orchestra's can have dozens of players and they don't require a click to keep time.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:44 PM   #18
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietsche
I don't see how having three guitarists necessitates having a click track. Orchestra's can have dozens of players and they don't require a click to keep time.

That's the Conductors job
Tempoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:23 PM   #19
chronowarp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
all depends on the show/performer(s)/music

outside of the realm of over-the-top pyrotechnics/music that's incredibly exacting, however, aeolian's right in that it eliminates a lot of dynamics

however, when you're looking at a band like periphery (who popularized a lot of the stuff in recent prog, including backing tracks/clicks) who have 3 guitarists and some fairly technical bits and pieces, it's very difficult to imagine them just going off and hoping the vibe will carry them through. if one person loses the tempo even slightly, it automatically sounds absolutely terrible.

>dynamics
>rock/pop music
Old 01-02-2013, 09:03 PM   #20
Nietsche
Registered Hoover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempoe
That's the Conductors job

Yeah, and it's the drummers job in most contemporary music ensembles. Go figure.

Rate This Thread: