Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-01-2013, 05:58 PM   #1
simon_p19

Right hand trill picking technique (JM & SRV)

I'm looking to learn how trill pick, wondering if anyone would share some advice on how to approach learning such a technique and any bad habits not to get myself into.

I don't know many players who use this technique, I know John Mayer uses it a lot in his live Gravity solos, I do believe it is something he picked up from Stevie Ray Vaughan..

[forbidden link]

Between 6:55 - 7:14.

Just wondering if anyone knows any other players that use this technique and if you have any advice about how to have a good technique while performing it, aka, is it all in the wrist movement, or would you put some arm movement into the motion? What thickness of pick would you use?

Thanks.
simon_p19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:03 PM   #2
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Link didn't work, try again.

Also, for the record, I have never heard the term "trill picking" before; I don't think it's an actual thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:09 PM   #3
simon_p19

[forbidden link]

Well, for the record, I don't quite know what to call it. When you see a working link you will have a reference to what I'm talking about before you come to the conclusion that I don't know what I'm talking about.
simon_p19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:39 PM   #4
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon_p19
[forbidden link]

Well, for the record, I don't quite know what to call it. When you see a working link you will have a reference to what I'm talking about before you come to the conclusion that I don't know what I'm talking about.

I didn't say you don't know what you're talking about, I said I didn't think that term had any meaning because I've never heard it before, you're taking this awfully personally.

Also... broken link again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:47 PM   #5
BrandMusic

I think the word trill is usually used for orchestra instruments and vocalizations. but assuming you are looking for the same effect on guitar you first need to learn alternate picking, hammering on, and pulling off. speed is necessary as that is the concept of trilling. once you learn to alternate pick well it essentially all comes down to left hand technique
BrandMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:50 PM   #6
martmiguel

Keep in mind that trills are done with your left hand, is a technique that can get you tired very quickly and the most effective way to develop this technique is to do some speed variations, from slow to fast and vice versa several times.

Try to develop "stamina" doing this exercise for periods of time, like 30 seconds or a minute at the time, then rest for a minute or 2 and do it again.

curso online de guitarra
clases de guitarra profesor a domicilio
martmiguel is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: