Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 01-01-2013, 08:53 PM   #1
Deenis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Egnater Renegade questions

For those who own/have played the egnater renegade 65w head, would you say it's pretty close to an orange in terms of how responsive it is? Also, what can I do to get the overdrive to sound a little bit ballsier and less smooth? If it helps, I'll be playing in a loud stonery kinda rock/metal band with the head, if I buy one. I've got a pretty low budget of like 550, and someone on craigslist is selling the head for 490, so I'm kind of interested...

Thanks
Deenis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:56 PM   #2
Deenis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
By the way, when I mean ballsier and less smooth, I mean that I'd like to get the sound to be a little bit crunchier and "edgier," kinda how the jcm 800's and orange OR series sound.
Deenis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:00 PM   #3
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y
 
311ZOSOVHJH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Offline
It won't really do the Orange grind like a Rockerverb can but for $490 I'd go for it.

These amps have had some QC issues so make sure you got a good one.

The tubes you put in, OD you use and Cab/Speakers you plug into will make more of difference than anything else.

They are a lot more flexible than any Orange out there.

What cab are you going to use?
__________________
311ZOSOVHJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:00 PM   #4
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Traffic Town LA
Answer these questions and maybe we might be able to help you find the perfect amp. You seem to know the sound you want.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1387138
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:27 PM   #5
Deenis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Budget-590
Genre-Melodic Hardcore in the style of lifetime, kid dynamite, saves the day. Heavy kinda stuff, such as Old man gloom, Hollow earth, and Converge.
Will most likely get a head used.
Will be playing shows. (need a head that's loud enough to get over the drummer and then some)
New York City is the closest city to me. (currently)
current guitar is an '01 les paul classic, current amp is just a vox modeling amp. one of those avt30's or whatever.

I really like the clarity and roar of the jcm 800 and I recently played an orange or15 and I LOVED the tone so much. But the wattage kinda worried me a bit. And the egnater seems like i'll be getting more bang for my buck.
Deenis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:30 PM   #6
Deenis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Also, I just noticed that the guy who's selling the egnater said that the fan inside doesn't work. Does it really matter if it doesn't work? "He says it's pretty noisy when it's on"
Deenis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:36 PM   #7
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y
 
311ZOSOVHJH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Offline
I'd pass then

and quit double posting please.....just use the EDIT feature.




and thanks for the added info
__________________
311ZOSOVHJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:49 PM   #8
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y
 
311ZOSOVHJH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Offline
So do you have a separate cab budget?


here is some stuff that I would consider:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/msg/3515015673.html Alchemist head
http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/msg/3514762325.html Rocker 30 combo
http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/msg/3483011853.html JCM 900 combo
http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/msg/3452370707.html JCM 900 head
http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/msg/3500486131.html Mesa .50 Cal
http://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/msg/3510267495.html Laney LC30
http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/msg/3509950928.html JCM 900 head

No particular order (newest to oldest) all in the past week. There were more too that were older but these looked like a good start. I really do like the Renegade but I wouldn't buy one that had issues.
__________________

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH : 01-01-2013 at 09:53 PM.
311ZOSOVHJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:52 PM   #9
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Traffic Town LA
Nice 311.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:54 PM   #10
Deenis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by 311ZOSOVHJH
So do you have a separate cab budget?


here is some stuff that I would consider:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/msg/3515015673.html Alchemist head
http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/msg/3514762325.html Rocker 30 combo
http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/msg/3483011853.html JCM 900 combo
http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/msg/3452370707.html JCM 900 head
http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/msg/3500486131.html Mesa .50 Cal
http://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/msg/3510267495.html Laney LC30
http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/msg/3509950928.html JCM 900 head

No particular order (newest to oldest) all in the past week. There were more too that were older but these looked like a good start. I really do like the Renegade but I wouldn't buy one that had issues.


Thanks man! I have a few cabs in mind I'd like to get used at some point in the future. But until I have enough money for one I will be borrowing cabs at shows
Deenis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:54 PM   #11
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y
 
311ZOSOVHJH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Offline
R45VT


Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deenis
Thanks man! I have a few cabs in mind I'd like to get used at some point in the future. But until I have enough money for one I will be borrowing cabs at shows

I would seriously consider that .50 Cal or the Rocker 30 until you have saved up a larger budget. Was that your Vox AD30 I saw on there?
__________________

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH : 01-01-2013 at 09:56 PM.
311ZOSOVHJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:05 PM   #12
Deenis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
R45VT?

I'm really lookin for a head rather than a combo that's the thing. I'm liking the vids of the bogner I'm watching I'm just feelin a little iffy about the fact that line 6 is involved in the build you know?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 311ZOSOVHJH
R45VT


Edit:

I would seriously consider that .50 Cal or the Rocker 30 until you have saved up a larger budget. Was that your Vox AD30 I saw on there?
Deenis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:16 PM   #13
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y
 
311ZOSOVHJH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Offline
Line 6 makes good products. The Spider just has a crappy rep but most of their other products (Vetta, Flextone, DTs, Pods, pedals, etc) are really decent.

The Alchemist has kind of weird love/hate thing going on. I generally like them and the built in delay works really well. They were blowing out the combos at $499 new recently. They are a bit darker voiced which should work well for what you are playing but honestly I do not know any of the bands you listed so take what I say with a grain of salt. I have to say I have not heard of one complaint about their build quality.

I'd still rather have a Mesa .50 Cal but then I don't know how well it will do what you want.



Edit: I was talking to my buddy R45VT
__________________

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH : 01-01-2013 at 10:18 PM.
311ZOSOVHJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:36 PM   #14
Deenis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Word. This is pretty close to the tone I'm looking to get http://hollow-earth.bandcamp.com/tr...nty-of-the-gods skip to 1:50.
Deenis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:16 PM   #15
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y
 
311ZOSOVHJH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Offline
Sounds a lot like Killswitch Engage. I dig it. Maybe it was the 'Howard' type voice.

Either way - I personally don't think the distortion is all that gritty. To me that is a smoother modern metal type tone. I think any of the amps I listed should be able to get that tone. The Mesa in particular. You can always hook it up to a cab if that is the look you are going for and then get a amp head later on.

Besides, if you get a amp head now - you won't be able to use it at home. One of these combo's means you take it with you.

I'll also throw out the Peavey Vypyr. I got my Vypyr 60 combo used for $315.

But just because the guitar is drop tuned and triple tracked and the singer sounds like Howard from KSE does not mean that the core tone is heavily distorted or 'ballsier and less smooth'

Someone else help me out here....maybe I'm on the crack pipe again.
__________________
311ZOSOVHJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:32 PM   #16
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Traffic Town LA
That sounds more modern than british voiced to me.

That wasn't stoner rock at all.


Can you clarify what you after exactly?? Stoner Rock or more "core" sounds.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.

Last edited by R45VT : 01-01-2013 at 11:33 PM.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:44 AM   #17
Deenis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by R45VT
That sounds more modern than british voiced to me.

That wasn't stoner rock at all.


Can you clarify what you after exactly?? Stoner Rock or more "core" sounds.


I know that wasn't stoner rock. The stoner metal/rock/whatever band I play in is influenced by stuff like doomriders, elder, electric wizard, cursed, and torche.

I was just saying I like this tone a lot, for the hardcore less metal stuff I'll be playing.

I'm after a head that will give me a tone similar to a jcm 800 or an orange or-120. Sorry if i didn't really clarify that earlier, I was tired when posting. I don't really like super gross sounding guitar tones for the stoner type of stuff however. I love the voicing and feel that the jcm 800/ some of the orange stuff has for the hardcore stuff I'll be playing. When using whatever head I get for the stoner rock stuff though, I'd probably just throw a pedal in front of it to give me a tad more gain (if needed).

I like their to be a good amount of roar and clarity in my sound. I'm not a huge fan of mesa's and the like because I usually find them to be a bit muddy and fizzy sounding

Last edited by Deenis : 01-02-2013 at 01:49 AM.
Deenis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:47 AM   #18
Deenis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
But back to my original question, how responsive is the egnater in comparison with the orange stuff?
Deenis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:03 AM   #19
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Traffic Town LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deenis
But back to my original question, how responsive is the egnater in comparison with the orange stuff?


You are losing me with the response question. Do you mean voicing? Pick attack?

I would forget the egnater as it already has issues. Don't mess with it.


http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/msg/3461836562.html

http://longisland.craigslist.org/msg/3483315671.html Laney

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brx/msg/3502427162.html 5150- can get him down on price
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.

Last edited by R45VT : 01-02-2013 at 02:11 AM.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:16 AM   #20
Deenis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by R45VT
You are losing me with the response question. Do you mean voicing? Pick attack?

I would forget the egnater as it already has issues. Don't mess with it.


http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/msg/3461836562.html

http://longisland.craigslist.org/msg/3483315671.html Laney

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brx/msg/3502427162.html 5150- can get him down on price


I played a rockerverb and an OR15 recently, and it's weird to explain...but with these two amps, the time between my playing and the sound coming out of the cab is quicker than most other amps I've played. hope this makes sense haha. I found another egnater renegade in better condition by the way, for around the same price
Deenis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:03 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.