Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-04-2013, 01:12 AM   #21
crabstampede
Slowest Metal Guitarist

I can attest to the fact that Man-O-Wars are awesome for a really punchy and tight sound with lots of breakup. Texas Heats, on the other hand...

Just ****ing brutal.

EDIT: Speaker efficiency is really not a big issue. You truthfully want the lowest possible amount of volume coming off the stage, but a couple dB (the smallest amount of loudness you can discern) is not going to make or break your rig. Go for tone, my friend. Always tone.
:: G50 | DecimatorG-String | 95Q ::
:: Polytune | Ditto | CarbonCopy ::

Last edited by crabstampede : 01-04-2013 at 01:16 AM.
crabstampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:16 AM   #22
Tremolo Bum
Addicted to FR

I would get all v30's or 2 v30s and 2 g12t75's personally.
I have an avatar 212 with a v30 and g12h30 and it sounds good with my 6505+.
Effects - TS9, MXR 10 Band EQ, Carbon Copy Delay
-Digitech RP1000
Tremolo Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:16 AM   #23
AcousticMirror
loves cheesecake

i thought the wizards were v30s.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:46 AM   #24
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

i like K100's alone or mixed with V30's i have two cabs like that, and a K100 4x12" massive sounding speakers.

when i had the 6505 like forever ago i had them into V30's and found that to be better than any of my other cabs. the 6505 was flipped after about a week later i wanted something different
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:15 AM   #25
KrymsinViking

I'v been second guessing myself about going with the avatar. I just feel like I might be over thinking it. A part of me wants to just get a Marshall 1960a or something and be done with it.
KrymsinViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:43 AM   #26
fremaochris
Banned

It will play a bigger part when you play a 5 or 10 Watt amp and have to compete with a loud drummer.[img]***************************/02.jpg[/img]
fremaochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:16 AM   #27
Tremolo Bum
Addicted to FR

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrymsinViking
I'v been second guessing myself about going with the avatar. I just feel like I might be over thinking it. A part of me wants to just get a Marshall 1960a or something and be done with it.

Avatar cabs are great for the price, very similar to Mesa and Orange. If you decide to get something else, the only thing I would recommend would be a Mesa 4x12. There isn't really anything else that will outright beat an avatar in a side by side shootout.
Effects - TS9, MXR 10 Band EQ, Carbon Copy Delay
-Digitech RP1000
Tremolo Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:14 AM   #28
Zoomyrs1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremolo Bum
Avatar cabs are great for the price, very similar to Mesa and Orange. If you decide to get something else, the only thing I would recommend would be a Mesa 4x12. There isn't really anything else that will outright beat an avatar in a side by side shootout.

+1

I have an OLD Mesa 4x12 slant half open/half closed with Black Shadows (licensed Celestions) that has taken everything that my hot-rodded Peavey Ultra 120 can throw at it....since the '90s

Playing a 30w tube I would worry about speaker volume, a 120w tube, not so much. Tone is more important, and by the time you have the master up high enough to wake up the tubes, its loud enough to make your ear drums crackle anyway.

That Ultra/Mesa combination has made a couple of JCM800 users ask me to turn it down so they could hear what they were doing I may add.
Zoomyrs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:33 AM   #29
Wesbanez
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbilicious
^is the governor the eminence version of the green back?

Im pretty sure its comparable to the V30, although with a slightly different lower mid range response.
Wesbanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:48 AM   #30
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perverockstar69
V30s work great on low volumes IMO, try them with T75s, Ippon said thats a good speakers combo for high gain...

oh yeah, i didn't mean to say that v30s didn't sound good at lower volumes- just that (if you run them hard) they're loud speakers. if you want to push the amp slightly more, then they're not the speaker to get as they won't let you do that as much as lower efficiency speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ippon
Here's what I remember of the Emis I have loaded in various cabs:
V30 - Governor
Greenback - Private Jack
12T75 - Man O' War
G12T65 - Tonespotter
CL80 - Red Ryder
Alnico Blue - Red Fang

At least compared to the various cabs with Celestions.

yeah i think that's correct (from what i've read, anyway- the only redcoat i've tried is the red fang). the gb128 is like a slightly more laid-back greenback, and the v12 like a more laid-back v30, as well. and the wizard is a g12h30. i think the tonker is a fane style speaker.

i actually always wonder what the patriot series speakers are based on. I'm guessing they're based on various jensens/utahs/oxfords/jbls and the like, but have no clue which ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabstampede
EDIT: Speaker efficiency is really not a big issue. You truthfully want the lowest possible amount of volume coming off the stage, but a couple dB (the smallest amount of loudness you can discern) is not going to make or break your rig. Go for tone, my friend. Always tone.

agreed. it does make some difference, but (except for in very specific circumstances) rarely enough that it makes sense to go for an unsuitably-toned speaker.

er....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.
Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:59 AM   #31
woad_yurt

An efficiency side note:

I learned recently that, using the same speakers, a 2x12 is 3 db more efficient than a 1x12 and a 4x12 is 3 db more efficient than a 2x12. A speaker like a 16 ohm Jensen MOD 12-50 (94.5 db sensitivity,) done with 2 pairs wired in parallel and then linked up in parallel, gives one a 100.5 db overall sensitivity rating. Do that with speakers rated at 100 db and you've got an overall rating of 106 db, a major difference* It's something to think about if you want some power tube hair in your sound at volume.

If you want more grit at useable volumes and you don't need a 4x12 for visual impact, you may want to consider a 2x12 or even a 1x12 loaded with some truly killer speakers. I have two 1x12s loaded with some old 200 watt ceramic JBLs and haven't ever had to use both simultaneously. One of 'em will handle a cranked 100 watt Marshall without any muddiness or worry and will make an entire bar full of people squirm in pain if you care to do so. I've found that top-of-line speakers in less quantity get the job done just as well or better than run-of-the-mill ones do in greater quantity. There's also that much less weight & bulk to hump around.

* Feel free to correct my math if I'm incorrect.

Last edited by woad_yurt : 01-04-2013 at 10:08 AM.
woad_yurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:20 AM   #32
Van Noord
Deactivated

Also, Celestion and Eminence both have different ways of determning SPL (speaker efficiency). I would imagine Jensen, and Weber do as well. There isn't an exact, consistant method used by all speaker manufacturers.

MARSHALL 2203KK
VHT Pittbull Ultralead
MESA Single Recto
PEAVEY 6505
SOLDANO Avenger
PEAVEY JSX
MARSHALL JVM 210H
Van Noord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:24 AM   #33
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

yeah. weber's way is pretty novel. they just don't bother telling you what the efficiency is.

EDIT: obviously that's a joke. they may well tell you if you email them to ask. but they don't list the efficiencies/sensitivities on their website.

er....

Quote:
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:01 PM   #34
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by woad_yurt
* Feel free to correct my math if I'm incorrect.

your math is pretty sound. the bump in efficiency is only part of the story, if you feel like reading some more of what is going on then check this out

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/...us/blog/110903/

it's mainly about mutual coupling, and the effect it has on your tone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
yeah. weber's way is pretty novel. they just don't bother telling you what the efficiency is.

EDIT: obviously that's a joke. they may well tell you if you email them to ask. but they don't list the efficiencies/sensitivities on their website.

it's a pretty safe bet that guitar speakers are going to be in the upper 90's to low 100's, i have heard they don't post sensitivity cuz of all the different testing methods and 'magic numbers' derived from the process.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:23 PM   #35
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ yeah the vast majority are in that range. some of the webers have pretty small magnets, though (thinking about the cheaper alnicos here), and they may well be in the lower 90s. I agree with you that a lot of figures that are posted aren't much use, but i still reckon a rough figure (as long as said figure isn't taking the piss) is better than nothing.

er....

Quote:
Old 01-04-2013, 03:02 PM   #36
KrymsinViking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremolo Bum

It's not that I question Avatar's products, just that I think I'd rather get the Marshall cab. Once I have a chance to play around with different speakers and form an educated opinion ill probably get an Avatar. The used Marshall cabs are also cheaper so I could pick up a TS-9 to go with the 6505 too.
KrymsinViking is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: