Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-02-2013, 04:49 AM   #1
ScoutPilfer

Amp for variety of styles.

Budget? - $2000 - $2500

Genres? - I play in a cover band that okays many things. Old school sabbath, Wheezer, Three Days Grace, Seether, and Metallica are some examples. On my time I play metal such as Black Dahlia Murder, Trivium, old In Flames, and some hard rock. Really all over the place.

New or Used? - Either

Home or Gig? - Both.

Closest City? - Prince George

Current Gear? - MIA Deluxe Strat, RG1xxv, rg350, fender jag-stang, Peavey red stripe bandit and DS-2.

My band kinda does it's own thing for our covers, but basically if I can have three good settings, high gain, medium gain, and a clean channel I'd be happy. I really like 6505's and have been thinking of a/b'ing my bandit it with one with a bunch of pedals in front to get what I want. Looking for more interesting amps to look at.
ScoutPilfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:14 AM   #2
GABarrie
Call me Gordon

Best I can think of is probably the 5150 III

Personally I'd go for the 50W version... It shares a tonestack on two of the channels, and obviously isn't 100W but it's a lot smaller and I'd only end up pulling two tubes anyway.
Archer "Dry Ice" Overdrive
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
GABarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:34 AM   #3
AndyGray
UG Addict

Hayden MoFo Head. Will love the hard rock stuff & has some incredible cleans. Go try!
AndyGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:53 AM   #4
Sakke
Miika Tenkula Fanboy

Laney VH100R. With a boost it's definitely a beast for anything from blues to death metal.
I own one and I know that it's capable to do anything you want.

But then you could also check out Mesa/Boogie of course. Mesa is always a great choice, you can't really go wrong with them if you like the sound they provide. Mark V definitely would do everything you want.

I wouldn't really go for the 6505. The cleans aren't really good on it. The EVH 5150 III, as said above, is a considerable choice.

Last edited by Sakke : 01-02-2013 at 07:58 AM.
Sakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:34 PM   #5
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

The 5150 III is a great option.
Egnater Armageddon or Vengeance would be amps I would consider, too.
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Dual Rectifier or even Triple Rectifier
Peavey JSX is worth a look
Marshall DSL 100
Splawn Nitro

Like Sakke said, the 6505 isn't what you want. It's cleans are terrible and I wouldn't consider it a very good head for Medium Gain kinda stuff. There are certainly better options for the money.

A few of mine would be well under budget, but they were still worth mentioning. With your budget, you could probably run two separate heads if you really wanted to be able to nail about any tone or if you need some serious versatility. It would make your rig pretty complex and you would have to haul a bunch of gear around, though.

Keep in mind that if you get an amp Head, you'll need a cabinet, too. Personally, with your budget, I would get a custom one from a company like Avatar, Whitebox, or Splawn so that you can get it to look how you want and get the exact speakers you want.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:34 PM   #6
ScoutPilfer

I was planning in going with n Avatar cab. Cant see any good reason to go with anything else. Didnt think.of the Mark V and never played a Laney or EVHIII. Going to see what I can do to track some down.
ScoutPilfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:09 PM   #7
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

I owned an Avatar 212 Cab. Great value. I think I paid $425 for one new and I got to pick the tolex/style and the speakers. There are better cabs out there though as mentioned like the Mesas, Splawns, EVHs, Mills, Emperor, etc.

I think the Mark IV or Mark V would be a good bet for the variety you play.

I've played the 5153 and that def would cover all your ground for you. Those that have A/B/Y'd the 100w version with the 50w version say that the 100w is better tonally and gives you separate EQ's. That is the one I've played and it is a monster.

If you want something like that but that has better build quality and better customer service then look at Splawn. A Splawn Nitro or Quick Rod would do the trick. The Nitro is more modern voiced and the Quick Rod is more modded 800 voiced.

I would also look at a Fryette Pittbull, Mesa Road King, Orange Tremoverb, Hughs & Kettner Duotone, Marshall 6100, Fuchs ODS, Bogner Twin Jet and of course a Kemper or AxeFx II.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:20 PM   #8
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311ZOSOVHJH
I owned an Avatar 212 Cab. Great value. I think I paid $425 for one new and I got to pick the tolex/style and the speakers. There are better cabs out there though as mentioned like the Mesas, Splawns, EVHs, Mills, Emperor, etc.

I think the Mark IV or Mark V would be a good bet for the variety you play.

I've played the 5153 and that def would cover all your ground for you. Those that have A/B/Y'd the 100w version with the 50w version say that the 100w is better tonally and gives you separate EQ's. That is the one I've played and it is a monster.

If you want something like that but that has better build quality and better customer service then look at Splawn. A Splawn Nitro or Quick Rod would do the trick. The Nitro is more modern voiced and the Quick Rod is more modded 800 voiced.

I would also look at a Fryette Pittbull, Mesa Road King, Orange Tremoverb, Hughs & Kettner Duotone, Marshall 6100, Fuchs ODS, Bogner Twin Jet and of course a Kemper or AxeFx II.

Yeah... not sure if you mentioned everything.

I have a mark V- I love it for its versatility. 3 flavors of cleans, 3 flavors of crunch and 3 flavors of distortion. All very unique.

Channel 2 was the unexpected superstar that really surprised me on this amp. It can go from old school zeppelin/sabbath to full on metal depending on the mode and gain. Channel on that amp is more flexible than most amps alone.

Since you have a good amount of dough to spend I would recommend going to a Guitar Center or music store and test the shit out of the Mark IV/V and EVH 5150III.

I have never played a splawn so I cannot comment. They have a good reputation everywhere.

Also a used RoadKing is within your budget. It has even more knobs than the Mark V.

Someone also mentioned Sig X. "Trashedlotsofstuf" a user on here has one. I can't remember his full username spelling. You could direct a question to him on this. He also has a Mark IV. He may jump in here after he gets off work.

Last edited by R45VT : 01-02-2013 at 09:33 PM.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:21 PM   #9
Perverockstar69

I'll add the Royal Atlantic, it does those sounds pretty well. What about the Sig-X ?

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Laney LC15R
Orange PPC212OB
Gibson SG Standard
LTD Viper-500
Catalinbread Ottava Magus
Jim Dunlop CFH
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzzhugger Algal Bloom
Ibanez TS9DX (mods)
Perverockstar69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:27 PM   #10
ibanez1997
UG's sociopath

I don't really have any experience with tube amps but I'll just toss in my 2 cents, from what I've read online and heard from sound clips.

+1 to the Mesa/Boogie Mark V and EVH 5150III suggestions. The Mark V is incredibly versatile, and I prefer the smooth, tight distortion of it, but YMMV. Seeing as you like the 6505 tone, you may prefer the EVH.

Also, +1 to the Splawns. Again, I've only heard clips, but the Nitro is one of the best high-gain sounds I've heard - it's saturated, yet tight and crunchy too. The Quick Rod is, AFAIK, more retro voiced, but it's also a great amp.

The Marshall JVM410H would be in your budget too. I've heard it's one of the highest-gain heads as far as Marshalls go, but (please correct me if I'm wrong) it looks like it has four channels, so quite a bit of versatility there.

If you check out Ola Englund (www.youtube.com/fearedse), he's demoed all five of these amps and MANY more, so you'll at least get an idea of the high gain tones.

Again, not speaking from experience here, this is just what I've read on UG and other forums.

Good luck with your amp hunt!

Currently screwing around in CGCGCD tuning

The Nocturnal Dawn (melodic instrumental metal)

7 string/ERG Legion!
ibanez1997 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: