Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-02-2013, 08:02 PM   #1
CarsonStevens
Rocksmith

Funding an album via Kickstarter?

'allo.

So, I've finally amassed enough recorded material to start thinking about releasing my first EP. My original plan was to do a couple of them, recorded at home, and use the profits to fund a full-blown album, ideally professionally recorded in a studio with people who have a clue.

Now, I'm thinking that unless my music somehow explodes overnight, that such an endeavor may not work without additional funding, and since I'm too broke to shell out-of-pocket on what is essentially a very expensive hobby, I have been pondering things like Kickstarter. Obviously, I'd offer incentives such as extra merch, 'proper' CDs (signed copies), and so forth to investors.

Has anyone else gone this route, or at least evaluated it as an avenue of getting your music produced? If so, I'd love to hear about your experiences.

Thanks,
CS
CarsonStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:47 AM   #2
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

One of my bands did it, we asked for $5000, only raised $2000 and received nothing as a result. Proceeded to take pledged money through other private means and gave goodies to the pledges at the EP launch.

I guess the lesson is to set realistic goals. If you're currently not known to the public, you aren't going to get any cash. If there's no demand, no need for a supply.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:05 AM   #3
CarsonStevens
Rocksmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHB
One of my bands did it, we asked for $5000, only raised $2000 and received nothing as a result. Proceeded to take pledged money through other private means and gave goodies to the pledges at the EP launch.

I guess the lesson is to set realistic goals. If you're currently not known to the public, you aren't going to get any cash. If there's no demand, no need for a supply.

Did your band have any music already available for prospective pledges to listen to ahead of time? I was thinking of approaching it from a "here's what the music sounds like, donate for a proper version" kind of thing.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:43 AM   #4
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

^^^ Sure did, and was actively gigging around the scene, made a mini documentary for it. It was also our second EP.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:55 AM   #5
chronowarp

My band did a similar thing w/ Indiegogo. The only working difference, as far as I know, is that Indiegogo pays out your money even if you don't hit your goal - though they do take a higher x% of your total if you don't hit your goal.

Anyway, our goal was $4,000, and we raised about $1,600 + a bit more from private donations. We had all kinds of incentives (free CD's, Free posters, free shirts, free stickers, name in the EP sleeve...).

In retrospective, I don't think it was a great idea. I know some people will disagree with me, but I've honestly come to think more and more than Kickstarter/IndieGoGo are sort of creating a group of entitlements musicians who want everyone else to pay for their shit. If you use the Kickstarter solely as a presale type function for a CD - that's a different thing altogether. That's something you'd know would work/wouldn't right off the bat, because realistically think about how many people would want to preorder your CD.

Don't get me wrong. We're all poor, and producing a good product can be extremely expensive. However, it does come off as slightly desperate, and in the future I would probably pinch more pennies in the recording process.

For my band's EP we booked 5 days for tracking, 5 for mixing. IF we were to do that again, I'd book 1 day just for drums, and record all the guitar, bass, and vocals on my own. Drums are really the only thing that you can't get a good product with in an imperfect recording environment. Everything else...is beyond doable on your own if you take the time, and have the right equipment.

My 2 cents.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:23 PM   #6
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHB
One of my bands did it, we asked for $5000, only raised $2000 and received nothing as a result.

So if you don't reach your goal, they keep the money?

Wow.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:12 AM   #7
chronowarp

thats why indiegogo is a better option if you don't think you can realistically hit your goal.

the whole point of kickstarter is to set a realistic expectation and really push to reach it, because you won't get it if you don't.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:12 AM   #8
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanchris
So if you don't reach your goal, they keep the money?

Wow.

CT

Haha. THAT would be a scam. The goal wasn't made so no money was taken out.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:52 AM   #9
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

Oh, okay. So the people who pledged did not actually pay then.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:12 PM   #10
CarsonStevens
Rocksmith

I had not heard of Indiegogo prior to this, so if I do decide to go the crowdfunding route, I may look into that instead.

Rate This Thread: