Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-02-2013, 09:12 PM   #1
Schecter S6S

Help with pickups!!!

I have a schecter solo 6 standard with passive humbuckers. I want better pickups. What's the diff between active and passive.... Not how they are made but like do they sound diff?? Is one better for a specific style? I like metal but play clean sometimes so I hear Seymore Duncan AHB-3's are a no go and that's what I thought I wanted .... If you can help I'm all ears
Schecter S6S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:19 PM   #2
DeeJay1500

The AHB-3 isnt bad. Depends really on what you looking to play. I play metal and rock. Put the AHB-1 set in an ibanez s-series. They sound AMAZING!

Big thing that you will probably care about with the active pickups is going to be the output. They really scream with the high gain stuff. I personally like the AHB-1 set as a good well rounded organic sounding active set of pickups. Im putting the Mick Thompsons in an explorer next month so im not against them either. Check out Keith Merrow's 12 pickup shootout on the duncan site, it gives a good representation on their line of pickups both passive and active.

People bitch about passive pickups having more organic of a tone and that active sets will make you sound cookie cutter and sterile. I personally think the blackouts are a winner for active pickups. I got an EMG 81/85 set and they arent bad but i wouldnt recommend the 81 really for metal and drop tuned stuff. Id do an 85 in the bridge and a 60 in the neck. I like the low end response in the 85 on the bridge position. Havent tried the X pickups from EMG, I hear they are supposed to sound more organic and have more "character" like passive pickups.

Depends on taste man, id check the duncan site for that shootout its the most accurate one ive seen, same guitar, same amp, same settings, same song. Best way to see how they differ from one another. But ofcourse they will sound different in your axe.
DeeJay1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:44 AM   #3
Schecter S6S

I searched around a bit and decided to go with SD hot rodded pickups. To me they sound way better than what I had. They seem to have a much better quality sound than stock and they really are very versatile.

I was tempted to go with SD slash pickups.... Did I make a good move or should I have gotten the slash's or maybe something else?
Schecter S6S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 02:34 AM   #4
6string_ninja

For what its worth now that youve already bought, active pickups have a preamp built in and give a more consistent sound for metal and stuff. Passives give off a "fatter" warmer tone. I prefer actives just because they seem to have a higher quality of audible sound. I have seymour duncan '59s in my schecter tempest custom and they sound great. Actives will pick up more feedback if your amp is turned up though and start humming because they pick up some audible sound as well as the vibrations through the body of the guitar.
6string_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:22 AM   #5
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schecter S6S
I searched around a bit and decided to go with SD hot rodded pickups. To me they sound way better than what I had. They seem to have a much better quality sound than stock and they really are very versatile.

I was tempted to go with SD slash pickups.... Did I make a good move or should I have gotten the slash's or maybe something else?

You should be fine, I use an SH-4 for metal and it works just fine. They just have a lot of mids.

The slash pickups are not made nor voiced for metal at all, listen to Slash, hard-rock is all he does.

If you went active, you would have to replace all the electronics, jack and install a battery compartment (or make room in the control cavity)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: