Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Original Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-03-2013, 02:39 AM   #1
mattmakaha

If you love your Dad, this song will make you cry.

This is a song I wrote about my Dad. For better or for worse, when I've played this song for my friends and co-workers, several of them started sobbing, even the ones that still have their Dads--just warning you.... I play guitar and all the instruments on the song, and sing.
Here's the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxd2lYsFSq4

But do you think the song is a little bit toooo sad?
mattmakaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:43 AM   #2
NvizoN

Does it matter what we think about how sad it is? It comes from the heart and has meaning to you. That's all that matters, my friend.
NvizoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:28 AM   #3
DartS17

The melody and chords are a bit too light-hearted for me to consider it a tearjerker. It sounds more like a love song than a loss song. Nice arrangement though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NvizoN
Does it matter what we think about how sad it is? It comes from the heart and has meaning to you. That's all that matters, my friend.

This too.
DartS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:44 AM   #4
Aralingh
Intelligent person

Well, the lyrics are "sad", but the music itself isn't.

Overall, I wouldn't call this a sad song.
Aralingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:17 AM   #5
BuriedAlive7x

great song
BuriedAlive7x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:21 AM   #6
Burkz

This is a great song
Burkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:32 AM   #7
randomguy2000
<3's ToppScore

really nice song

What you really need is a new amp.

(Anything I missed?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
I have been hearing about MG amps lately. I have heard good about them, but only a few times have they been talked about here.

randomguy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:08 AM   #8
mattmakaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvizoN

Yeah, I suppose you're right....
It helped me in the greiving process, that's for sure....

Last edited by mattmakaha : 04-22-2013 at 06:04 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:50 PM   #9
ARom22
Art Photographist

I think the production here is very good. The guitar work is very subtle and tasteful, the ghost-note patterns on the drums sit perfectly, the vocals would fit perfectly in any professionally done pop-ballad (I like the harmonies a lot), and the acoustic solo at the end is exquisite.

That said, I can very honestly respect and appreciate what you've done here. You obviously are being very sincere and from the heart with this song, and I think that's excellent - not enough people are sincere with their music. This is admittedly not something I would normally be very likely to listen to, though - it's just a bit too sentimental for my taste. That's just me, though, and I do have a lot of respect for your talent.

Book of Face
ARom22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:08 AM   #10
STONESHAKER
UG Fanatic

Sweet, a video performance. Don't see those very often.

I like the clean guitar bits the song opens up on, and the clean harmonies throughout the song are very tastefully chosen. Your voice sounds good, but I think your vocals are just a bit high in the mix and overpowering your guitar. Turning the vocals down a hair and adding some verb, or double tracking the clean guitar would fix this.

As for the lyrical content, it's very well written and very sad. Overall, the song gives me the same vibe as "Tears in Heaven", if you are a Clapton fan. I shed a few tears as I listened to them. This song has an excellent potential for radio airtime as it is very accessible and catchy.

Very astute observations on my song, by the way. Yes, 13/8 time signature. I love the key change part as well, the song needed to go somewhere else for a bit and the 5/4 signature in combination with the half step key changes did the job well, plus that's the first vocal harmony I have ever recorded that sounded halfway decent. As for my influences, I've got a bunch, but I've always liked bands like Wishbone Ash, King Crimson, The Mars Volta, Rush, and particularly the Fall of Troy, at least in terms of the instrumentals.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:53 AM   #11
Phazon
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARom22
the vocals would fit perfectly in any professionally done pop-ballad (I like the harmonies a lot), and the acoustic solo at the end is exquisite.

This!

And honestly the the lyrics are really the only thing that I find sad. The music doesn't capture a depressing vibe for me
It's better off the music not sounding all too heavy-depressive.

The pop-style, accessible/easy-to-listen music helps with balance the tough subject of the lyrics.

Last edited by Phazon : 01-30-2013 at 12:00 PM.
Phazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:49 AM   #12
JuanTobar

Great song man, congrats!
Old 02-21-2013, 03:04 AM   #13
mattmakaha

I just uploaded this song/video--it's another song that I wrote about my Dad. Maybe it's not as sad as the music video in post #1 above, but it's still kinda sad. Although I don't mention the word "Dad" in this song or refer to a father, I was thinking of him when I wrote this song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2ocN02CrMM

Last edited by mattmakaha : 02-21-2013 at 03:10 AM.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:57 AM   #14
mattmakaha

I have a couple of other songs that I wrote about my Dad.
This song is about the loss of a mother, but I wrote it about a month after my Dad died, so I was actually thinking about him when I wrote it, but I changed around the story so that it's about the loss of a mother, because I was writing toooooo many songs about my Dad:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOFOd0Xc_fU

I also have a female version of my song "I'll See you in my Dreams" which I had previously set as private on YouTube until today, so no one could see the video besides a few people I know, but I decided to let more people see this version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeN3P46jhF8

Last edited by mattmakaha : 03-08-2013 at 04:06 AM.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:12 AM   #15
mattmakaha

Here’s a song that the song/music video in post #1 was derived from, also written about my Dad. There's a couple of lines in this song, that I put into the newer song. I think the song in the OP is a much better song, but some people have liked this song better:
http://www.broadjam.com/player/play...ile=5366_602349

Rate This Thread: