Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-04-2013, 12:12 AM   #21
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

Calm down, dear.

http://line6.com/spidervalvemkii/specs.html

It's literally right there; four power amp valves, two preamp valves (not a solid state preamp, which is what tubetime86 was saying {and graciously admitted their error on}).
Unless I am very much mistaken, you can't simply have the 'opinion' that a set of preamp valves don't exist. They're either there or they're not, and in this case, they're there.

Dunno why you're getting so narked about the concept that somebody might be able to read a specification run-down. Grab a beer, play a video game, stop getting so irrationally angry at people on the internet.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:24 AM   #22
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

One of those 12AX7's will be in the power amp. ie, the phase inverter. So it will be one preamp tube. Can't imagine that it would be doing a lot. My guess is that it's behaving more as a buffer interfacing the HD500 to the power amp than a preamp tube per se. Technically it is preamp though.
Looks like a hybrid preamp to me. It has all the trappings of one.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:12 AM   #23
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble
Calm down, dear.

http://line6.com/spidervalvemkii/specs.html

It's literally right there; four power amp valves, two preamp valves (not a solid state preamp, which is what tubetime86 was saying {and graciously admitted their error on}).
Unless I am very much mistaken, you can't simply have the 'opinion' that a set of preamp valves don't exist. They're either there or they're not, and in this case, they're there.

calling it a 'tube preamp' is just as incorrect as calling it a 'solid state' preamp because they seem to have both components in it.

TT86's analysis was just as incomplete as yours, which was still pretty irrelevant to TS's concerns in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble
Dunno why you're getting so narked about the concept that somebody might be able to read a specification run-down. Grab a beer, play a video game, stop getting so irrationally angry at people on the internet.

i'll get 'narked' when i want to. i have no patience for people like you.

you aren't a dumbass, you're smart enough to be dangerous but you make a lot half correct comments at the expense of others.

piss-off on telling me what to do as well. 'grab a beer, play a video game', look: do what you want, but you have no say in what i do.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae

Last edited by gumbilicious : 01-04-2013 at 01:13 AM.
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:30 AM   #24
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonfr9
Thank you for your answers and sorry for my newbieness, I've never had an amp head before, so I didn't know if it could be pluged in another amp or whatever.

It's good to know that a cabinet is only a cabinet and can't be classified in solid state, valve, etc...

So, how much a cheap cabinet may affect the sound produced by the amp head?

lets try to get back on point.

what brought you to those two amps? they are quite different.

is having onboard effects important to you? if they were i would recommend a peavey vypyr head.

i didn't have a ton of time when i played the lin6, but found the effects better on the peavey. the sanpera switch offers you basically full control from the floor.

if effects aren't as important to you, a JSX or a XXX or ultra from peavey are good versatile amps, tons of gain on the ultra channel

have you looked in to jet city? i am not a fan, but i know a lot of people who did like them (i had a 2112RC and an 50 watt head).

i picked up a mesa MKIV head for $875 last fall. again very versatile.

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
looking for an attenuator.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:49 AM   #25
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

If the OP is on a plane I would get an HD500. Amps suck to travel with unless you have a flight case.

That is of coarse if you are going to be home recording.../have a power amp and speaker cab for gigs....

What is your budget and what will you be using it for?

Last edited by R45VT : 01-04-2013 at 02:52 AM.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:30 AM   #26
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by R45VT
If the OP is on a plane I would get an HD500. Amps suck to travel with unless you have a flight case.

That is of coarse if you are going to be home recording.../have a power amp and speaker cab for gigs....

What is your budget and what will you be using it for?

my thoughts exactly. i'd rather have something i can fit in my carry on rather than trust the airport luggage handlers.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:42 AM   #27
fremaochris
Banned

I have no idea why you would think the Spider is anywhere close to being in the same league.[img]***************************/02.jpg[/img]
fremaochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:48 AM   #28
AcousticMirror
loves cheesecake

also you know it's going to cost a ton of money for the overweight fee and a proper flight case just to take the amp on a plane.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:53 AM   #29
Viban
UG's resident bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonfr9
HI will buy a Line6 Spider IV when I go back home, which is a good solid state amp and it's affordable in my country.

Who told you that? Nothing with the name "spider" made by line 6 is good, by any definition, unless you like the sound of a beehive crammed up a civic's tailpipe that happens to have holes drilled in it.

I would recommend anything over the spider, you're gonna buy it, like if for maybe a week (if that, or if you ever do), hate it, not be able to sell it, and then regret it. If I wanted a modeling amp I'd go for a vyper , or maybe an HD500 and a powered wedge.

Fibbs, you've done clogged up the thread with your argument, be the adult and end it. No witty retort needed, You'll just further fill the thread with things that either belong in PM's or unsaid.
Viban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:42 AM   #30
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

HD500 and a powered wedge is the correct answer here IMO also.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: