Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 01-04-2013, 10:05 PM   #21
Spaz91
Turd polisher
 
Spaz91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Didney Worl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard817
...and what does this have to do with my comment about agathis being used in inexpensive guitars?

My point was that people will pay more for alder because it's alder, not because there's a difference.
Quote:
Also point out that each cut has it's own characteristics. Again, just because you can't hear a difference between tonewoods doesn't mean no one else can.

If you can play a piece of music twice and make it sound the same both time then you'd be some kind of wizard.
Quote:
Nice way to side step my comment about alder here.

I sidestepped nothing. Squier offer clear finishes because they actually are cheap so there's nothing to hide, Mexican Fenders pretend to cost more money hence no clear coats as they'd expose the cheap cuts they use.
Quote:
Maybe learn to do better set ups? My Fender P bass has damn good output on it's pups and I bought blind. Actually it's output is comparable to my VM Mustang bass output. Actually I have to set my VM Mustangs pups really low, or it gets muddy as hell.

My setups are excellent. Nearly all my other basses have sounded excellent (Aside from the Spector) but there was nothing I could do to the MIM Fenders to stop them sounding flat as a fart. Of course all brands have the occasional ****up but I look at the maths; I've owned two Mexican Fenders, both were ****ups, I've owned 5 Squiers, no ****ups.
Quote:
Actually Fender hardware is made in the Corona plant. No one knows where Squier hardware is produced, which gives me pause about it.
Mexican Fenders have bent tin with holes in for a bridge, I doubt it makes a difference where its made.
Quote:
As for your link. I am not signing up to some website just so I can waste my time watching the peak of your fanboyism.

Its just a Skydrive Powerpoint of the 13 Squiers, MIM Fenders, MIJ Fenders, MIA Fenders and Deluxe Fenders I've owned over the years, lest ye think my accusations unfounded. I've no idea how to make it a public link.
Quote:
Not allowed since it would essentially be a Vs. thread.

This thread is (was) a versus thread. It's not what that rule applies to.
Spaz91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:00 AM   #22
Spanner93
Comrade Spanner
 
Spanner93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Nieuwegein, The Netherlands


Seriously, this thread is bound to end in a temper tantrum and tears......

BASSWOOD FTW
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Marx
Reason has always existed, but not always in a reasonable form.
Spanner93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:23 AM   #23
Alucard817
Registered User
 
Alucard817's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
My point was that people will pay more for alder because it's alder, not because there's a difference.

Yeah, cuz no one can hear a difference between tonewoods.
Simple fact of the matter is this. People choose what they do because of their preferences. As far as tone is concerned, There is a very distinct tonal difference between basswood, agathis and alder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
If you can play a piece of music twice and make it sound the same both time then you'd be some kind of wizard.

I guess I'm a wizard then. Off to Hogwarts I go!
Odd how every note I play on my basses/guitars the tonal characteristics of the wood never change, and that's what I am referring to in that video. The instruments natural resonance, the nuances in the tone caused by the wood. If you play an A# it's going to sound like an A# every time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
I sidestepped nothing. Squier offer clear finishes because they actually are cheap so there's nothing to hide, Mexican Fenders pretend to cost more money hence no clear coats as they'd expose the cheap cuts they use.

Actually I researched this, and I found NO guitar manufacturer offers transparent finishes on alder basses. Not just Fender. I guess everyone uses cheap alder then huh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
My setups are excellent. Nearly all my other basses have sounded excellent (Aside from the Spector) but there was nothing I could do to the MIM Fenders to stop them sounding flat as a fart. Of course all brands have the occasional ****up but I look at the maths; I've owned two Mexican Fenders, both were ****ups, I've owned 5 Squiers, no ****ups.

Wow so you base all your MIM Fender bashing on only the TWO MIM Fenders you've owned? Wow. Just. Wow.
So tell me. How many **** up Squiers have you played? So far I am leaning towards one at the moment. My VM Mustang, although it sounds decent (too bright and who ever had the idea to put a maple fretboard on a Mustang should be FIRED!) has screws that were improperly done and a PG that scratches and dings if I look at it wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
Mexican Fenders have bent tin with holes in for a bridge, I doubt it makes a difference where its made.

Actually it does make a very valid point. The point is QUALITY CONTROL. See Fenders hardware is made in the US, following strict guidelines for the materials used. No one knows where Squiers hardware is made so NO ONE KNOWS WHAT STANDARDS ARE FOLLOWED.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
Its just a Skydrive Powerpoint of the 13 Squiers, MIM Fenders, MIJ Fenders, MIA Fenders and Deluxe Fenders I've owned over the years, lest ye think my accusations unfounded. I've no idea how to make it a public link.

Okay now were getting somewhere. 13 Squiers, 2 MIM Fenders and how ever many other Fenders you've owned.

I have noticed every chance you get you trash MIM Fenders, or Fender in general. All you have to back up these claims is dodgey logic and subjective reasoning. Nothing quantifiable.
Nope. You're not biased at all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
This thread is (was) a versus thread. It's not what that rule applies to.

Again you're wrong. TS asked for a non-biased run down of the pros and cons of each instrument, meaning they wanted both the good and bad of each. Feel free to make one if you like. If you do try to make it in a section where more people frequent though. Bass section is nearly a ****ing ghost town.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.

Last edited by Alucard817 : 01-06-2013 at 07:26 AM.
Alucard817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:12 AM   #24
jonathan.keeler
Registered User
 
jonathan.keeler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
DDDUUUUUUUDDDDDEEEEEEEEEEEE

steer clear of the epiphone. My last bass as the epishone thunderbird pro-V (red) and man that thing, uh, really grinds my gears. the neck and headstock weighs a ton, so it always dropped to the ground. the strap lock closer to the neck is in a STUPID place and will slide out after time. the finish is weak as hell, I once dropped my guitar-ellele on it and some of the finish came right off!
also the bass weighs a ton.

On the other hand, the 35 inch scale length gave it a great B string. And it has a good range of tones on the active pickups, but this is not excuse for how annoying this bass is. avoid!

I can't speak for the other bass though because I don't know it.
__________________
LeakyFlask
Quote:
You know what would be really sweet? Having a beautiful bird inlaid around the first fret, taking a majestic dump with airborne droppings around the 5th, 7th, 9th frets and so on, with a graceful impact around the 22nd-24th.
jonathan.keeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:52 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.