Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-03-2013, 08:44 PM   #1
cxrlxscr

Memorizing scales on the guitar

For the past year I've taken up piano to the point that it has been my main instrument while the guitar has taken the backseat. In less than a year, I've come to memorize the scale, arpeggio and progressions for any given key in the piano, so I can easily play in any key in the piano. This I achieved by playing the notes in a key ascending and descending over two octaves, memorizing the positions for the hand.

Now I want to go back to the guitar with a different approach than before. My aim to the same, to improve my soloing and improvisation. However, this method is trickier to adapt for said instrument for obvious reasons. How would I go about memorizing scales across the neck of the guitar? Obviously I already know the notes for most keys, but the problem is with scale positions and patterns.

...it's time to gain some ground."

Last edited by cxrlxscr : 01-03-2013 at 08:52 PM.
cxrlxscr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:40 PM   #2
iduno871

The CAGED system works really well for learning different shapes. Each shape is played on a different spot of the neck for each scale, so essentially you can quickly learn 5 scale shapes and 10 places to play a scale on the neck, because it all repeats above the 12th fret.
iduno871 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:59 PM   #3
KG6_Steven
Serving Knowledge

You must learn the scale shapes over the entire neck. Too many people play one scale shape and they get locked into it. The result is, their lead and solo work ends up sounding the same. If you can play the notes from a given scale anywhere along the neck, you end up being a much more versatile player.

Also, don't just learn one scale type and forget to learn the rest. You've played piano for awhile and know your scales there, so you need to learn the same ones on the guitar.
KG6_Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:53 AM   #4
ibanez1511

The CAGED system wo
rks very well for guitarists,The memory will visualization the note information as guitar neck diagrams.
As you play the piano I suggest you memorize the note information on the stave.
by closing your eyes and repeating the finger patterns, imagine your left hand fretting each note, as you do connect that note to the stave.
ibanez1511 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: