Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 01-03-2013, 10:55 PM   #1
Mister A.J.
Ker-Blang-a-Woggle
 
Mister A.J.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: I can't remember
Question What is Chromatic Harmony exactly?

I saw the term 'Chromatic Harmony' a few days ago, and it got me thinking; what exactly is chromatic harmony, and how does it differ from diatonic harmony? Is it just chords played chromatically, or does it have it's own system?

Also, any examples of it played would be great. Thanks you all.
__________________
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.


Official Approval
show
Mister A.J. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:20 PM   #2
griffRG7321
Forever Bulking
 
griffRG7321's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Darkplace Hospital
Chromatic harmony at a basic level refers to use of diminished 7ths, neapolitan 6ths and augmented 6ths.

As a whole it refers to any use of chromaticism, secondary dominants, altered chords, borrowed chords etc etc
__________________
Quote:
Mario 'Big Dawg' Williams: "I come to you, venerable master, in order to be introduced to the rules and principles of music"

Barbeesha Latoya Jackson: "Awh hell naw mutha fuka, u wanna learn da art of composition all up in here?
griffRG7321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:24 PM   #3
Xiaoxi
Indeed.
 
Xiaoxi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bodymore, Murdaland
Chromatic harmony is just harmony that contain notes outside of the 7 diatonic tones. So for example, D7 (as a V/V) in the key of C major is considered chromatic harmony because it has an F# as a leading tone to G (root of V).

So in practice, a lot of music has chromatic harmony, ranging from simple secondary dominants or a minor iv in a major key in pop music...to this:

__________________
"Man, modes 'n' scales ain't got no users, only abusers." - X.X. Little

Analyzing Brahms: Insights to Help Us Improve Our Music

My New Workstation
Xiaoxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:34 PM   #4
primusfan
Conspiracy Music Theorist
 
primusfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: LOLville, KY
__________________
#DTWD
primusfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:38 PM   #5
Mister A.J.
Ker-Blang-a-Woggle
 
Mister A.J.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: I can't remember
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffRG7321
Chromatic harmony at a basic level refers to use of diminished 7ths, neapolitan 6ths and augmented 6ths.

As a whole it refers to any use of chromaticism, secondary dominants, altered chords, borrowed chords etc etc

Oh, okay. That makes a lot more sense now. Thank you much kind sir!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaoxi
Chromatic harmony is just harmony that contain notes outside of the 7 diatonic tones. So for example, D7 (as a V/V) in the key of C major is considered chromatic harmony because it has an F# as a leading tone to G (root of V).

So in practice, a lot of music has chromatic harmony, ranging from simple secondary dominants or a minor iv in a major key in pop music...to this:


Oooh, that sounds really cool. Makes the spine tingle a lot bit.

So, going from that definition, parts of this piece would be chromatic harmony because a lot of the chords are not diatonic, yah?
__________________
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.


Official Approval
show

Last edited by Mister A.J. : 01-03-2013 at 11:42 PM.
Mister A.J. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:54 PM   #6
macashmack
Maskcashmack
 
macashmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New York, NY
I like using the II or a bvii in an major key because then i can hit the augmented fourth and the minor seventh which are my favorite when mixed into a major key
macashmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:57 PM   #7
Xiaoxi
Indeed.
 
Xiaoxi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bodymore, Murdaland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister A.J.
Oooh, that sounds really cool. Makes the spine tingle a lot bit.

So, going from that definition, parts of this piece would be chromatic harmony because a lot of the chords are not diatonic, yah?

Most classical music have very high degree of chromatic harmony. But it's not like a thing where a composer goes "ooh now I'm gonna break out the chromatic harmony w0oo0o0o000ooo0o0oo0o." It's just inherent in the voiceleading and counterpoint language.
__________________
"Man, modes 'n' scales ain't got no users, only abusers." - X.X. Little

Analyzing Brahms: Insights to Help Us Improve Our Music

My New Workstation
Xiaoxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:58 PM   #8
Mister A.J.
Ker-Blang-a-Woggle
 
Mister A.J.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: I can't remember
Quote:
Originally Posted by macashmack
I like using the II or a bvii in an major key because then i can hit the augmented fourth and the minor seventh which are my favorite when mixed into a major key

Sounds pretty tasty. By 'pretty tasty,' I of course mean delicious. :P


Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaoxi
Most classical music have very high degree of chromatic harmony. But it's not like a thing where a composer goes "ooh now I'm gonna break out the chromatic harmony w0oo0o0o000ooo0o0oo0o." It's just inherent in the voiceleading and counterpoint language.

Just for safety reasons, I'm going to make the assumption at least one person has broken out the 'w0oo0o0o000ooo0o0oo0o, chromatic harmony! ' card at some point or another in history.

Thanks for your help once again!
__________________
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.


Official Approval
show

Last edited by Mister A.J. : 01-04-2013 at 12:02 AM.
Mister A.J. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:57 PM   #9
AeolianWolf
Tonal Vigilante
 
AeolianWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York City
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister A.J.
Just for safety reasons, I'm going to make the assumption at least one person has broken out the 'w0oo0o0o000ooo0o0oo0o, chromatic harmony! ' card at some point or another in history.


here i am!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister A.J.
Dude, AeolianWolf knows what he's talking about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elintasokas
Dude, AeolianWolf knows what he's talking about.
i smell a theme.
AeolianWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:34 PM   #10
Hail
kill both bass players
 
Hail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Dallas
chromatic harmony is what turns a snoop wolf into a snoop lion in the big city

roar, nigga
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:09 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.