Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-03-2013, 10:49 PM   #1
Crazymike100
I am the Catman

Location: In a little town that no one's heard of in North Florida.
I'm going to sleep for two hours a day, everyday.

Hello, comrades!

A link was sent to me recently by my good friend Sam that says... it's not only possible to be functional on two hours of sleep... But it's better for you than sleeping in that huge chunk of time where you lay there, easy prey for rapists and assassins. I've set a schedule for myself, made up of four naps. Each of which are thirty-minutes in duration, and take place six hours from each other. This schedule is called the 'Dymaxion Sleep Cycle', and it was invented by Buckminster Fuller, who reportedly kept this schedule for two years(or more). I haven't been able to find any documentation of this cycle, aside from hearsay and internet myth... So I am setting out to record my findings.

Below are the entries from my sleep journal so far. I'm on the end of day two. I've been very busy lately, and missed one of the naps on both days. So far, I'm not dead, and I'm only slightly groggy. I'm expecting it to get worse.
Day 1
11:50am

Itís nearly twelve o clock. I think I fell asleep at four, immediately after my first nap, but I am not sure. Thankfully, I woke up after my second nap was supposed to be. Immediately following the first nap, I was tired. So tired that when I sat down to write this, I fell asleep. I was woke up around ten by my dad. Well, if you're going to make mistakes, might as well get them out of the way early, right? Iím hoping the adaption process isnít too hard, but Iíve got a room that needs to be cleaned, some books to read, and Netflix that can distract me from the hallucinations and sleep deprivation. I'm guessing that's how the Marines make it through Hell Week. Stay busy, and that's what I'll do.
I did not sleep during the daytime. I just Ďwoke upí from my first nap since last night. Iím not sure if I slept or not. Iím not sure if I dreamt. I woke up, and my alarm was going off. Well. Iíve got six hours ahead of me. Nap time at four. Might as well make it four, which is six hours from my impromptu nap. For a twenty minute nap, I awoke feeling slightly refreshed. Iím still tired, of course. But I guess I can go back to sleep in a few hours!

Day 2

3:10am.
I'm tired. I'm sure this upcoming nap will be in no way refreshing. My head feels heavy, and my eyes seem to drift close of their own accord. I spent the last four hours mining out a dwarven underground castle to keep the sleep demons at bay. Oh man oh man, it's awesome. There's rafters and beams, and I should take snapshots to upload to the Facebook. When I awake from this powernap, I will add to the journal, and brew some coffee. My pot is an 8 scoop pot. I will add 10 scoops out of spite, and caffeinated glory. Weary days and sleepless nights are upon me. I can feel it. This is going to be awesome for my Medical Terminology class. Staying up for 22 hours a day. All that time I'll spend studying will be worth this initial week of fatigue and bleary-eyed early morning Minecrafting. And I'll even have a Dwarven Castle.

4:29am
I just woke up. That nap was mildly refreshing. I don't feel as bad as I did, but nor do I feel as awake as I could. I suppose the only thing that will fix me is a big bowl of cereal, and an even bigger mug of coffee. I'll use the bathroom, and then get something to eat and drink. The cats seem surprised to see me. Well get used to it, you nappy pussies. I'm never going to sleep again. So far, the sleep deprivation is mild. No worse than it is when I go without sleeping for a day. I am fairly cold, which I'll chalk up to it being 56 degree outside.

5:14am.
I feel as well as I do when I first wake up. Head is mildly foggy. Strange thing while napping at 4am: My hands and feet started buzzing, and I felt like I was just a brain floating in space. My peaceful reverie was only shattered by the screeching of my alarm clock.
I took a shower, and made some coffee. I did a short workout routine after I woke up to bring myself to full wakefulness. I'm tired now, but I suppose I can hold on until 10am. I wonder if I will find myself counting the hours until I can take a nap after I've finished adjusting.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:53 PM   #2
Zombee
UG Newbie

tl;dr
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
Zombee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:54 PM   #3
angusfan16
butts

Username seems to be appropiate for this post.
Originally Posted by indierockker102
angusfan suck on your dads dick you ****ing shit head
angusfan16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:54 PM   #4
Junglie

This could be interesting. Have fun.

I just know I used to do something similar at college. Horrendous procrastinator so when it came to deadlines I stayed up all night to do my work for days, surviving on like 2-3 hours where I could get it.

By day 4 or 5 I was usually dead on my feet.
Junglie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:56 PM   #5
Andalus
Bŗnned

It will be interesting to see how you get on with this. Not sure I could manage.
Andalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:56 PM   #6
calnix

As someone with severe chronic insomnia...I don't think you'll make it past 3 or 4 days unless youre absolutely pushing yourself to the limit. Soon enough you're gonna lose your appetite and eating will become more and more forced, resulting in an upset stomach and hunger pangs on and off all day. You'll be drinking lots of coffee and/or energy drinks to help stay up, further making your stomach upset.

Your body needs fuel to keep going, but hell I've heard stories of people doing similar schedules and handling it fine.

Also, be careful when driving if you're really exhausted, I've fallen asleep behind the wheel just from letting my mind wonder and drift away to music and thoughts. Talk radio in my opinion really helps you stay alert much better than music, or even better, talking on the phone will keep you going. Good luck and I'm curious to see how this pans out for ya.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:57 PM   #7
Todd Hart
Do Sadists go to Hell?

So you're going to be a student during exam period? So what?
Old 01-03-2013, 10:57 PM   #8
5thCircuitRider
Wild Horseman

I'm a diagnosed insomniac, tried doing this, didn't work.

Just made me feel more terrible than I normally do.
5thCircuitRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:05 PM   #9
Saint78
julian wells

I NEVER SLEEP, CUZ SLEEP IS THE COUSIN OF DEATH
Old 01-03-2013, 11:07 PM   #10
Mr.-Bungle
Mr. Bungle

I've been like this since I was 12. Now 22. It occurs every few months and I'm right in the middle of it atm. I have ADHD so I can't drink caffeine or energy drink, because it basically knocks me out within minutes, funny right?

I just sleep the 2 or 3 hours outright though, Yes you will feel lethargic as f@ck as soon as you wake up (If you wake up) but that goes away after some pineapple juice and vodka gets into your belly.

It's not that bad tbh. I read a while back that a human is only really supposed to sleep for 4 hours hours a night anyways' if they are fit. A conditioned body doens't need an 8-10 hour rest, its just the rest of us lazy f#ckers that have untamed bodies that put us to sleep. I'm a bit skepticle but I funtion pretty well with just a few hours for a couple weeks at a time, especially exam period.

Goodluck bud. Stay away from the coffee but, it will not help at all.

And this is strange, because my name is actually Sam...

Last edited by Mr.-Bungle : 01-03-2013 at 11:59 PM.
Mr.-Bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:12 PM   #11
JackWhiteIsButts
Hard Boyled

I'd like to try something like this but it's not really feasible for me at the moment.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:15 PM   #12
WhiskeyFace
NSFW

Heard of this before. You're basically training your body to jump straight into the important stage of sleep (there are a few).

I don't think I could do it with my schedule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornmancer
Forget the fundamentals of filmmaking, this thread needs the fundamentals of condom wearing.
'There is hope - but not for us'
WhiskeyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:18 PM   #13
Joshua Garcia
[vague user title]

Way tl;dr

Referring to the thread title, I think I saw a show where this one guy hadn't slept in 30 or so years, and nowadays he feels totally ill. Almost like he's dying.

So doing something like that will probably catch up to you. Maybe not immediately, but eventually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinterMan22
shove a gas station up your ass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsedick.MPEG
I'd rather shove a stick of butter up my ass and let it drip out.
Joshua Garcia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:20 PM   #14
captainsnazz
#coldcum

Some info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyphasic_sleep

It's a bad idea though TS. Loads of different things happen while you're asleep and you need a certain amount of it for them all to happen. I've survived on 2-3 hours of sleep a day for a week or so at a time during deadline periods at uni, and trust me when I say it is not nice. Your immune system pretty much ceases to exist after a couple of days, it becomes almost impossible to concentrate on anything, your hair stops looking as nice and you get massive black rings under your eyes that are pretty difficult to get rid of. Oh and you'll go crazy because the days will all just blur into one.
But from your username I'm guessing you're already crazy, so go ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmyisgod97
If they didn't want to be objectified they shouldn't have been little sluts.

Ego Sig
captainsnazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:23 PM   #15
palm mute
Reserved User

Well that's just crazy, mike.

every night
palm mute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:44 PM   #16
Philip_pepper
UG's Kanye West

Enjoy hallucinating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desperatechris
Love you too Philip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus_maximus
I now dub thee UG's Dr Phil. Screw that other guy.
Philip_pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:44 PM   #17
supersac

as diagnozedinsomniac....

i dont recomend it
aftera week or so with 2-3 hours of sleepr being conscious will seem like a chore
also immune system will suffer
and after a good while youll start losing weight prbably from lack f appetite and such
but by all means go ahead but its for eeyrone

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoomit
You sound like an amazing friend
i sound like one...im secretly a huge dick

my bands soundcloud
http://soundcloud.com/thenativetongues
supersac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:51 PM   #18
Crazymike100
I am the Catman

Location: In a little town that no one's heard of in North Florida.
I just woke up from my 10PM nap. I still feel fine. I don't think I got any sleep, because mom is in the next room over watching television and laughing. The harpy laugh. No biggy. The 4am naps are the ones I look forward to the most. It's quiet. The entire world is still. And when I wake up, it's like I'm in a cocoon that's shrieking because of an alarm. Then I work out to get the blood pumping. It reminds me of Hell Week. Hardly any sleep, and you're tricking your body into thinking it's a fight-or-flight situation by doing sudden workouts as soon as you wake up.
I'm making sure to eat light snacks after I wake up. Granola bars and fruit. Very little caffeine. I treat myself to some nicotine post-workout, which could have unintended consequences.

I'm a college student. I've been through many semesters of finals week, and so far, I feel more well-rested than I usually do when I'm staying up all night cramming, and then passing out after the final. This feels kind of healthy. I've got a haywire sleep schedule anyway, and there have been no documentation of this sleep cycle. And in true white dude fashion, I'm going to put on some rock music, take a nap, and then stay up all night internetting.

I'll update daily. Thanks for posting, guys.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:54 PM   #19
eGraham
Logjammin'

Hmm.

1. Crazymike
2. "Sam"
3. ???
4. Crazysam
5. ???
6. Profit unlikely

October 23, 2014
eGraham is offline   Reply With Quote