Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-04-2013, 12:01 AM   #21
Crazymike100
I am the Catman

Location: In a little town that no one's heard of in North Florida.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempoe
lol, it'll never work....haha. Your body does what it wants

Oh ye of little faith.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:03 AM   #22
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .

If it does and you make it a week I'll give you some cake. You might have some cool lucid dreams though
Tempoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:04 AM   #23
entity0009
UG's Null.

I'm on like 3-4 hours a day and I can get by on that, but 2 hours seems insane, especially split up into 30-minute periods. Pretty sure you will have zero immune system and your body will take ages to heal small injuries and bruises. Expect your hair and skin to start sucking too.
entity0009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:14 AM   #24
PoisonousNipple
Banned

Have fun ruining your sleeping pattern for a long time beyond when you decide two hours isn't enough
PoisonousNipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:34 AM   #25
WhiskeyFace
NSFW

You guys don't understand. REM sleep is the only part of your sleep that makes you feel rested. By what OP is doing his body will get used to it and jump into it straight away as soon as he falls asleep. The non-REM part of your sleep isn't needed. And yes, 2 hours is enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornmancer
Forget the fundamentals of filmmaking, this thread needs the fundamentals of condom wearing.
'There is hope - but not for us'
WhiskeyFace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:39 AM   #26
shavorules42
UG Board King

So basically this?

EDIT: Not sure why it's a thumbnail.

And cup his balls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.
shavorules42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:40 AM   #27
PoisonousNipple
Banned

Yea, just automatically fall into a dream everytime you lay in bed, right.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:42 AM   #28
Omniscient G
Registered Sex Offender

I have some pretty bad chronic insomnia and I'd advise not to do that, sleep deprivation is pretty detrimental to your health in a number of ways. It will make your memory worse since memories are formed when you sleep, it will decrease performance and concentration, can cause or worsen depression and anxiety, and just makes you feel terrible all around.
Omniscient G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:43 AM   #29
Robbin'TheHood
Reggae Freak

Location: Down here at the Pawn Shop what has been sold not strictly made of stone just remember that it's flesh and bone
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyFace
You guys don't understand. REM sleep is the only part of your sleep that makes you feel rested. By what OP is doing his body will get used to it and jump into it straight away as soon as he falls asleep. The non-REM part of your sleep isn't needed. And yes, 2 hours is enough.

Sleeping 30 minutes is not enough; it is likely only entering stage 1 and stage 2... (which doesn't achieve REM Sleep or dreams.) REM sleep can occur anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour. Only sleeping a half hour at a time will most likely neglect REM sleep and cause sleep deprivation.
You are so happy to eat a muffin it's kinda scary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ali.guitarkid7
Goes around tryina light dudes on fire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

I tell a lie, there is no such thing.
Robbin'TheHood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:12 AM   #30
Crazymike100
I am the Catman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbin'TheHood
Sleeping 30 minutes is not enough; it is likely only entering stage 1 and stage 2... (which doesn't achieve REM Sleep or dreams.) REM sleep can occur anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour. Only sleeping a half hour at a time will most likely neglect REM sleep and cause sleep deprivation.

The guy who came up with this sleep schedule reportedly stuck to it for two years with no ill effects. If I still feel unrested, then I can always increase the amount of nap time. It's a process. It can change.

As for you people saying I'll **** up my sleep schedule, how long does it take you to go back to sleeping in until noon after a semester in school where you have early classes? Sure, this is a little more complex than just moving the cycle up(I'm breaking it into fourparts), but the human brain is pretty resilient to sleep changes. It'll bounce back into homeostasis after a couple weeks of trying.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:17 AM   #31
PoisonousNipple
Banned

No it wont.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:08 AM   #32
JugglingGuitars
Seldomly juggles

Interesting read OP. In about a week and a half I'm starting a biphasic sleeping pattern. I've read reports of people stopping polyphasic sleeping because taking heaps of 20-minute naps makes it feel as though they're just living one big long day. Best of luck though.
JugglingGuitars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:12 AM   #33
.Joker.

Wasn't this a Seinfeld episode?
.Joker. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:21 AM   #34
Telecaster7
Call me Leon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbin'TheHood

I think the idea is that after about 2 weeks (yes, TS, two whole weeks) of sleep deprivation and mild insanity, the body realises that it's only going to get 20 minutes of sleep at a time and goes straight to the good stuff (REM)

But personally I don't think it's for everyone.
Telecaster7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:22 AM   #35
WCPhils
#philamerica

That sounds stupid

Check out my...

YouTube
WCPhils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:00 AM   #36
Crazymike100
I am the Catman

I've got two hours until my next nap. So I've organized my closet, cleaned my room, and folded some towels.

The night times are the worst. The melatonin and internal clock make the nights pretty rough. I'm distracting myself by playing the riddle game with the girlfriend. She's about to go to sleep, so I guess I'll read for a little while before my next nap. Come morning, (and correct my biology if I'm wrong), the melatonin in the body is converted to serotonin. That's responsible for the 'feel good' of all nighters. So daytimes are nice. I'm not doing anything tomorrow, so I'll take the 4pm nap that I've been missing. Hopefully that will make the 10am wakeup easier. But I suppose that's up to trial and error. I'll just have to see what happens.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:10 AM   #37
VanTheKraut
How tough am I?!

It's accepted scientific fact that the human body has 90 minute sleep cycles with 5 phases. The last phase of which is REM sleep. REM Sleep is the most important as far as maintaining and your health, retaining mental function, and just all around not feeling tired as shit.

Unfortunately for you, you'll never achieve REM sleep with a 30 minute nap. Even a basic knowledge of sleep science makes this schedule you're on look idiotic. I'm going to sleep now and I'm going to sleep for 7.5 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Old Country. Old Blues. Old Rock. Old Metal. Gangsta Rap.

Last edited by VanTheKraut : 01-04-2013 at 03:11 AM.
VanTheKraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:21 AM   #38
mtshark
is the bees knees

Interesting. This reminds me of Uberman's Sleep Cycle, which is a similar concept, but instead you take a half hour nap every 4-5 hours. It is essentially designed to maximize your REM sleep time.

I had a friend try it. It didn't work out.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:29 AM   #39
RealUnrealRob
Lazy Physicist

I'm quite certain this is going to mess you up pretty bad, but it'll be interesting to see what happens.
RealUnrealRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:32 AM   #40
icesk8erqueen8
my name is lame, I know.

enjoy dying.... you can die from sleep deprivation.
icesk8erqueen8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: