Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-03-2013, 10:53 PM   #1
lucky1978

Starting Over

I've been miserable for a couple years now and I'm all to aware that you only live once. My New Years resolution is to change that. I hated my job so I quit. I've been addicted to opiates for several years now and I'm currently sick but I('m doing my damnedest to) quit. Those were the 2 things that bothered me most but they were also the 2 things that were the main part of my life as an "adult" as pathetic as that is. I'm in pretty bad shape now, mentally and physically, but you only live once and I feel this change is necessary to live life instead of die life. I am so much fail right now.

So now I feel empty. I quit my job at midnight, new years eve, literally, and I've been staring into space and going through opiate withdrawal since. (Though I did learn to solder yesterday, which made my year so far).

I'm starting to feel a lil better gradually but I am ashamed to say that I have no idea where to go from here. But knowing myself and addiction, I need to think of something, and quick.
Has anyone in the pit changed their crappy, miserable life around? And if so, how?

I'm sure this thread will be flamed if anything but it was therapeutic to type out so whwhatever

And BTW, if you "man up" and ignore your problems you're far more a b##ch than someone asking for help. You just take it while they wanna change it, which takes a lot more guts.
lucky1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:56 PM   #2
KiLLSWiTCH-KnoT
Banned

Everything is exactly the way that it needs to be, and you are equipped with exactly what you need with which to Proceed x
KiLLSWiTCH-KnoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:58 PM   #3
TheSPillow
UG's UG

Sounds like things are going your way at the moment. Get a hobby or two to keep you from feeling totally lifeless, play music, entertain yourself.

Keep it up dude.

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Alvarez SLM
Orange Dark Terror
Orange PPC212OB 2x12 cab
Yamaha P-85 Keyboard
TheSPillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:58 PM   #4
SuperKid

yolo m7
SuperKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:58 PM   #5
Saint78
i drop top in my whip bb

If you're really struggling with opiates, you could try a rehab facility? If you can't afford to go (do rehab facilities cost money?)/don't want to go to a big rehab facility, you might try a church sponsored rehab thing. Religion, in the words of Sartre, is an opiate. Developing a faith in something might help take your mind of the drugs.*

*I'm not trying to convert you or anything. Religion isn't really my thing.

When you fight with your heart, you're always going to win - DMX
Saint78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:59 PM   #6
devourke
Banned

If you don't like where you are, the only place you can go is up.
devourke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:59 PM   #7
JackWhiteIsButts
UG Senior Member

I wish I had access to opiates. My quality of life would improve tenfold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreysMonster
A chubby means you're sexually aroused?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trowzaa
That's because Alberta and Ontario are cities
JackWhiteIsButts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:05 PM   #8
lucky1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLLSWiTCH-KnoT
Everything is exactly the way that it needs to be, and you are equipped with exactly what you need with which to Proceed x

Thank you for this line
Old 01-03-2013, 11:14 PM   #9
Zombee

I smoked pot for 7 years, man. It got heavier and heavier, until one day I realized it'd taken my ambition, memory, social skills, etc. I never forget that, and that I can't even handle a little bit. It ****ed with my mind.

I moved back around my family, and focused on becoming financially stable. Bartending/serving at a shitty restaurant was good for a couple months, but I got a girlfriend whos free time was naturally when a restaurant industry slave like me would be working. I put my money into insurance classes and busted my butt to build a portfolio of clients together. I've been sober for the longest I have ever been, and I'm focusing on my job, my girl, and my health.

I guess my advice is to never forget what you're leaving behind, and why. To focus on what you want. For me that was a respectable life. Work hard and keep your focus. Don't be a slave to your mind, challenge it. I'd wake up every morning at 7, put some shoes on and run around the block just to keep control. Also, surround yourself with supportive faces.
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.

Last edited by Zombee : 01-03-2013 at 11:18 PM.
Zombee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:19 PM   #10
KiLLSWiTCH-KnoT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky1978
Thank you for this line

I made a thread about this but no one gave a ****

guys I wasn't asking for your ****s, I was asking for your feels
Old 01-03-2013, 11:27 PM   #11
PoisonousNipple
Banned

I think everyone who says this kind of thing knows what they should do deep down inside. It's just alot harder to man up and do something than it is to repeat the same cycle everyday.
I am the same way minus the opiate addiction, been living a way my heart tells me not to for years.

If you really want to change you can and I hope you do before you look in the mirror and realize you wasted many years doing things that arn't useful to you or anyone else.
PoisonousNipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:28 PM   #12
KiLLSWiTCH-KnoT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoisonousNipple
I think everyone who says this kind of thing knows what they should do deep down inside. It's just alot harder to man up and do something than it is to repeat the same cycle everyday.
I am the same way minus the opiate addiction, been living a way my heart tells me not to for years.

If you really want to change you can and I hope you do before you look in the mirror and realize you wasted many years doing things that arn't useful to you or anyone else.

FTFY (:
Old 01-03-2013, 11:30 PM   #13
lucky1978

Quote:

I made a thread about this but no one gave a ****

guys I wasn't asking for your ****s, I was asking for your feels

Ya, I expected that, its the pit for Christ's sake. How have you done? I've never made it 3 days before but I know its still an uphill climb. Most of my "friends"...
Old 01-03-2013, 11:34 PM   #14
Wisthekiller
UG's Nigel Tufnel

I used to be the kind of guy that got drunk, did a few pills (oxy was my choice but I'd take a handful of anything) and slept around. One day I just decided it's boring and I'm not getting out of it so I quit. I'm young so I'm lucky it wasn't as hard for me as it was for you. I just quit. No more drinking, no more taking pills, no more sleeping around. I did feel sick for the next couple days. I was lethargic, weak, and had stomach pains and nausea and sweating, etc... for a couple days but after that felt completely fine, glad I quit.

It was easier for me than you and probably other people.

Just know that it can be done. I learned how to solder before hand and started redoing my guitars and modding pedals since I quit. Good luck man.

Upright fretted electric bass build!
Wisthekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:36 PM   #15
KiLLSWiTCH-KnoT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky1978
Ya, I expected that, its the pit for Christ's sake. How have you done? I've never made it 3 days before but I know its still an uphill climb. Most of my "friends"...

im not entirely sure what you mean by this and i am not prepared to answer until i know precisely what you mean cos each meaning has answers that mean very different things
Old 01-03-2013, 11:47 PM   #16
lucky1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisthekiller
I used to be the kind of guy that got drunk, did a few pills (oxy was my choice but I'd take a handful of anything) and slept around. One day I just decided it's boring and I'm not getting out of it so I quit. I'm young so I'm lucky it wasn't as hard for me as it was for you. I just quit. No more drinking, no more taking pills, no more sleeping around. I did feel sick for the next couple days. I was lethargic, weak, and had stomach pains and nausea and sweating, etc... for a couple days but after that felt completely fine, glad I quit.

It was easier for me than you and probably other people.

Just know that it can be done. I learned how to solder before hand and started redoing my guitars and modding pedals since I quit. Good luck man.

Thank you for the support. That was my idea with learning to solder. I've always wanted to work on my own guitars/pedals so I hope that becomes my new, healthy, constructive, addiction.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:51 PM   #17
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .

Keep at it, imagine how great things will be this time next year. Think of what you'd do each day if you knew you'd succeed, then do it.
Tempoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:53 PM   #18
lucky1978

Quote:
im not entirely sure what you mean by this and i am not prepared to answer until i know precisely what you mean cos each meaning has answers that mean very different things

Were you able to turn your life around? Be honest, the internet is anonymous and I sure is hell am in no position to judge anyone.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:04 AM   #19
food1010
Bassist

Are you in a band? That might help give you a sense of direction and purpose.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:09 AM   #20
LedZepFan2000

I'll just leave this here...

LedZepFan2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: