Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-03-2013, 03:45 AM   #1
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

NSAWD! (a little late, but hey, it still happened!)

Well, Christmas this year got me three new additions to my rig. The first two are the same, really:

A set of 8ohm WGS Retro 30's

Then, my third item was a bit different from those:

A Dunlop Crybaby Zakk Wylde Wah

First, the speakers:

I can't thank you guys enough. I absolutely love these things. They have the articulation, clarity, midrange bite, responsive highs, and tight bottom that I was looking for. They're a little lacking in the lower-mids compared to what I was used to, but they improve everything else, and I have a Density knob for that anyway

I had heard good things about them, and now I've heard (and experienced) good things FROM them. They were packaged well, came with extra foam strips in case you need to front-load them, and (most importantly) they sound phenominal. I doubt I've even spent enough time with them actually pumping due to a cranked amp to even have broken them in yet, but the time I did spend was absolutely glorious.

Installation was a breeze, and my experience with WGS couldn't have been better. You seriously can't beat this quality at this price.

Now, the Wah:

I usually stray away from signature gear. I don't want someone else's sound, I want my own sound. I don't want to play someone else's guitar, I want to play MY guitar. Well, I was looking for an improvement over my old GCB-95. It was old and having reliability issues that I didn't want to deal with, not to mention I wanted a different sound without having to spend more work and money on this pedal than what it was worth. I wanted the same simplicity, the same familiar setup and feel, but a better sound. I wanted something thicker, less brittle, less harsh, and more ballsy.

The ZW-45 delivers just that. It's got a nice thick sound without sounding muddy or fuzzy. It's still got plenty of treble, but it isn't nearly as shrill and ear-piercing. It also handles the high gain much better than the GCB-95. Overall, a huge improvement. Not to mention, the GCB-95 was ancient, missing two rubber feet, and lacked the easy-access battery compartment (although it wouldn't run on batteries anyway).

My only complaint is that it's not true-bypass, but that's just a few mods away I'll probably add an LED, too. It's nice to have something to indicate whether it's on or off. Other than that, it's got the familiar feel and controls, the sound I want, and is up-to-date. I couldn't ask for more for $70. The added bonus of being able to adjust the tension of the rocker arm is nice, too, so that I can set it to a certain point for a consistent sound mid-wah.

Overall, I had a pretty good Christmas, especially when you factor in the gift I bought myself a week early (My Moser V).

Last edited by Blktiger0 : 01-03-2013 at 03:47 AM.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:50 AM   #2
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

WGS was great when I ordered my speakers. Hopefully its quiet the improvement over the stock JC ones.

Nice gear haul for December!

Oh and you need larger pictures!
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:57 AM   #3
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

^ See, usually I use my good camera, but I didn't take it with me to Christmas, so I had to just use my phone, or they COULD be bigger

Honestly, those are actually downsized. I figured that 1200x900 was decent sized. I'll make them smaller next time.

I thought I had a pretty good overall catch. Awesome New Axe, Awesome New Pedal, Awesome New Speakers, the only thing I'm missing is an Awesome New Amp, and as soon as I get the money, I'm getting a new practice amp (Peavey Vypyr Tube 60). It'll make a nice backup, quick recording option, and something I can play through headphones or pick up and go with. Carrying a 2x12 and head around to small stuff can get cumbersome after a while
Old 01-03-2013, 07:10 AM   #4
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

sweet, i was looking forward to hearing what you thought of the WGS speakers. Glad you like them

Nice scores

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:02 PM   #5
ragingkitty
meow?

Are those supposed to sound like Vintage 30s?

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
ragingkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:41 PM   #6
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

HNGD
Old 01-03-2013, 01:21 PM   #7
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingkitty
Are those supposed to sound like Vintage 30s?

i think so (but don't quote me). i think the veteran 30s are meant to be more like "improved" v30s, while the retros are meant to be closer to v30s.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:37 PM   #8
darkwolf291
Hookers and Blow

If you're not using a battery for the wah, you can stick the battery compartment to the back of your headstock and use it to hold a slide if you have a song where you need to switch off quickly.

Pedalboard Thread Native: The Thrashaholic

Buy my Thrash Album for whatever price you want!]

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSimonR
It's modelling valve power amp output valves wearing out.

GG&A WTLT List
darkwolf291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:12 PM   #9
Ippon
Amped

Congrats!

Old 01-03-2013, 06:25 PM   #10
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwolf291
If you're not using a battery for the wah, you can stick the battery compartment to the back of your headstock and use it to hold a slide if you have a song where you need to switch off quickly.

That's awesome.

As for the sound, they sound more or less like a V30, but the highs aren't as harsh and the mid spike isn't as much in the upper mids as it is in the middle mids. There's still a mids spike, but it isn't nearly as harsh sounding. Plus, it seems to me like there's a little more bass.

I would say what Dave said is pretty close. These are more of a clone than the Vet30, but both have changes over the V30s.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:37 AM   #11
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ ah ok, thanks, i wasn't sure whether the retro 30s were meant to be a straight clone, or still a bit different (but closer than the veteran 30).

I'll take your word for it, I haven't tried them

Old 01-04-2013, 08:49 AM   #12
ikey_

yeah WGS was great. quality product and i do remember quality packaging. easy to deal with as well and they look sharp too.
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Accountant Comp, GFS tuner, CMAT Signa Drive, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb)
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:50 AM   #13
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

^Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised by the graphic on the back, there. It was definitely more improssive than anything I've seen thusfar. The paint on the frame was pretty spiffy, too. I mean, not that any of that ever matters to anyone but me, but it was still a nice touch
Old 01-05-2013, 11:51 AM   #14
gregs1020
Hi mom!

i've had good experiences with WGS as well, in fact i don't remember hearing of anyone having a single issue with them.

congrats on the new gear.
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:42 PM   #15
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

No pic of the "V" in this new gear day haul?

+1 to WGS. Easy to deal with and great packaging for the speakers. UPS and FEDEX would struggle to damage them in transit.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:47 PM   #16
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R45VT
No pic of the "V" in this new gear day haul?

+1 to WGS. Easy to deal with and great packaging for the speakers. UPS and FEDEX would struggle to damage them in transit.

Well, if you insist!

I figured I would leave it separate, since it had it's own NGD:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...52&page=1&pp=20

I have no issues showing it off some more, though.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:50 PM   #17
darkwolf291
Hookers and Blow

All I can think of when I see that is Evile.

Fun fact: Ol (their lead guitarist and the guy who uses the bastard V) is an awesome guy.
I messaged him on FB asking him about what amps they used for recording their album, and he totally messaged back

Quote:

GG&A WTLT List

Last edited by darkwolf291 : 01-05-2013 at 04:55 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:07 PM   #18
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwolf291
All I can think of when I see that is Evile.

Fun fact: Ol (their lead guitarist and the guy who uses the bastard V) is an awesome guy.
I messaged him on FB asking him about what amps they used for recording their album, and he totally messaged back

Well, if this guitar has done ONE thing for me, it's at least helped me discover a new band

That's pretty awesome that he replied and everything. I think it's awesome when guys will do that. I'm (well, my girlfriend more than me, but it's still both of us) friends with the guys in Bowling for Soup. Mostly Jaret and Erik, but we've actually chilled on their tour bus with them. Not with a huge group of people or anything, it was just my girlfriend, myself, and her friend that also really likes them.

Those guys are super cool like that too.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:15 PM   #19
darkwolf291
Hookers and Blow

If you like them, check out Gama Bomb, Bonded by Blood, Fueled by Fire, and Fog of War

Quote:

GG&A WTLT List
Old 01-05-2013, 05:23 PM   #20
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

I will do just that!

I love Groove/Thrash Metals. I'm pretty much a junkie

Rate This Thread: