Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-04-2013, 12:22 PM   #21
Vicious_Turtle
UG Member

i think its just, you pay for what you get, the valvekings are shit, the bugeras are a little better in terms of durability. and im not sure about these egnaters. but they feel real solid. only down side is they are made in china. maybe i should just man up. buy a mesa dual rec. or bogner uberschall
Vicious_Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:08 PM   #22
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Perhaps it's the universe's way of telling you to take up acoustic?
Old 01-04-2013, 05:22 PM   #23
Vicious_Turtle
UG Member

maybe
Old 01-04-2013, 09:17 PM   #24
Perverockstar69

damn man! I bet it is not coincidence, check your cab/speaker(s)/cable =/

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Laney LC15R
Orange PPC212OB
Gibson SG Standard
LTD Viper-500
Catalinbread Ottava Magus
Jim Dunlop CFH
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzzhugger Algal Bloom
Ibanez TS9DX (mods)

Last edited by Perverockstar69 : 01-04-2013 at 09:23 PM.
Perverockstar69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:13 PM   #25
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious_Turtle
i think its just, you pay for what you get, the valvekings are shit, the bugeras are a little better in terms of durability. and im not sure about these egnaters. but they feel real solid. only down side is they are made in china. maybe i should just man up. buy a mesa dual rec. or bogner uberschall

ValveKings don't burn themselves down.

You may be right that you get what you pay for, but it's still hard to believe there's nothing else going on. My MIC Vypyr has served me well, and obviously there are tons of people who use MIC amps every day. Not really sure where I'm going with that anecdotal evidence.

Have you tried using your amps somewhere else besides your house?

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey USA Predator
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:05 PM   #26
thetoastinator
UG Addict

Thats insane dude! Ive had my Vengeance for around a year now and I have never had any issues whatsoever! I would suggest maybe getting some kind of power conditioner before the amp, that way if it is faulty wiring the conditioner would go before the amp itself. I have a Monster conditioner that cost me about $80 that covers all my rack gear, pedals, and my amp.
Custom Strat Copy
Bugera 6260 Head
Peavey XXX Head
Krank Revolution Cab
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Boss NS-2

Like old school heavy metal? Check out Xstrophy!
thetoastinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:54 PM   #27
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:

i think you have it the wrong way. bugera has never been close to reliable in my eyes. even the infinitum (___) have had a bunch of failures.

i don't care what peavey it is, its more reliable than anything bugera has ever made. i have seen a 6505 fall off a full stack and work five minutes later once he re-seated the tubes. it definitly didn't look pretty, but worked.

VK's are solid amps. the reason that people don't like them is because they are trying to get a 6505 sound and think they can do it on a budget with a VK. put tubes and an OD and an EQ in the loop and run it with a decent cab, doesn't sound bad at all.

to note. i am not a peavey fanboy, i have had three heads, an older SS head, a VK, and a 6505+. they are fine amps but i wouldn't buy any of them in my situation.

mesas are solid too - go on youtube and search something along the lines of "Mesa hammer test." i don't think too many other companies do that.

Egnaters are nice amps, but personally i think the Armageddon is a little on the pricey side for what you can get. for $1800 you could find a hundred better things on the used market. or you could pick up a 5153 for the same price brand new.

get a 2ch dual rec or a tremoverb.
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:30 AM   #28
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Are all these amps blowing up plugged in at the same house?
If so, can you say, "common denominator"?
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:45 AM   #29
Viban
UG's resident bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Are all these amps blowing up plugged in at the same house?
If so, can you say, "common denominator"?

Are you suggesting his house is haunted?
Viban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:00 AM   #30
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

somebody already mentioned this, but. are you SURE you are matching ohms?

is there any possibility that your cab could be a different impedance than it is? i am referiring to a 16 ohm cab not rewired down to 4 ohms, and you just didn't know it.

are you sure ALL speakers are working? if you blow a speaker it changes the impedence (due to running on three speakers) that

any of that could kill any amp.
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:58 AM   #31
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdr_salamander
I still like Egnater.

inb4 Blktiger.

You know my opinion on them. I'm a fangirl, but at least I admit to it

Quote:
Originally Posted by R45VT

At least his works. Its always nice to have a guy around who knows what it should sound like and how it operates.

We know the Bugeras are DOA a bunch. Can factor that out...

FedEx UPS.....big factor. Maybe they throw it around since its heavy.

I'll take that as a compliment (of sorts)

Okay, now down to business.

I agree with the other guys that are saying that there is something else at work here. I had no idea Egnater was having QC issues with these amps until that thread. Everyone else I've heard of getting one has had zero issues, and I had zero issues. If my bad luck didn't kick in (KNOCK ON WOOD!) then your problem isn't bad luck.

How many people do you know that have an issue that every pedal they've ever owned wouldn't work off of batteries, but had to be plugged in? You're talking to one. (Although I haven't tried my three newest, I just assumed and bought a 1spot forever ago). Mine ended up being a blessing in disguise, in a way, because now I don't have battery reliability issues, but enough about that.

It's time to do an all-systems check. Before you send this back, take it to a local guitar store and try it with a different cab, speaker cable, instrument cable, and guitar. Take literally everything other than the amp out of the equation. Take your other gear as well. If it works with all different gear (besides the head) then slowly re-introduce your stuff one item at a time.

If it doesn't work, there's a different problem that is likely an electrical issue at your house.

I mean, killing bugeras is fairly normal, but I will say that Valvekings are built like brick shithouses in terms of completely failing. They have some basic issues like solder joints (especially with PCB mounted pots (ask Cath how he feels about those...I haven't heard him bitch about them in a while )). In terms of just bricking entirely, though, it's not something I've heard about.

Two Vengeances in a row, though? No way. First off, I also got mine out of the first run and have (again, KNOCK ON WOOD) had no issues with it. I did have the small issue with the UPC plug on the back, but that was my own fault. Since then, Bruce has been addressing every issue that the have had with QC as he is made aware of them.

You have to figure, each amp you return that is a brick is an amp that they wasted time, money, and resources on. That's costing them money, so even if they weren't concerned about your experience, they WILL be concerned about their profits. They won't make a profit if most of their amps are returned because they're DOA.

I would say that if this amp STILL doesn't work after trying to eliminate all variables, you give them ONE more try (three stikes you're out, right?) and start at the music store this time. If this one AND the third one are indeed DOA (or at least having major issues) then I would say you return the third one and take your business elsewhere, but also contact Egnater and tell them about your experience. You can (hopefully) get a working amp and Egnater can be made aware that there is clearly something gone awry with their QC.

I see that as a win-win. It's definitely worth you making sure there isn't some outside force ruining your amps and making sure the blame isn't with Egnater. Not to mention you were clearly decided on the Vengeance, so you would probably rather have the amp you originally wanted than settling for "second best".

Just my 2 cents. Or I guess like 15 cents with my novel up there...

Also, as an addition, as others have mentioned, you might want to make SURE your cab is the load you think it is, and that you're matching ohms.

Also, just in case, make sure no matter what the case here that you are using a quality speaker cable. It's worth parting with the extra money for one with a lifetime warranty that isn't going to fart out anytime soon. It's THE MOST important cable in your rig. Having it fail means having your OT in your amp fail, which is the most expensive component to have replaced.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:06 AM   #32
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viban
Are you suggesting his house is haunted?
Yep, by an angry gremlin hiding out in the fusebox.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:46 AM   #33
jpatan
UG's only REAL Llama

seven amps DOA?!?!? Something else has to be going on here. Even with 2 or 3 of those being Bugeras, that's still an INSANE failure rate.

Do you know how to use a multi meter? Check the outlets. Do you have issues with other electronics in your house? Ever have lights flickering or dimming, etc? If it truly is seven dead amps that you bought, then you possibly have the worst luck I've ever seen.

I had an Egnater renegade combo, and the thing was built like a tank. I'm not sure what your technical level is, but there are a lot of things in my house that I'd be checking out after maybe TWO DOA amps, much less seven.

EDIT: Does the amp do ANYTHING? Lights come on, etc? Have you checked the fuse in the amp? Put a multi meter across it and check for Ohms (continuity). If you get a reading other than infinite, or out of limit, then the fuse is good. Some (most) meters will beep if there is continuity, depending on how you have it set.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes

Last edited by jpatan : 01-05-2013 at 09:50 AM.
jpatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:48 PM   #34
Vicious_Turtle
UG Member

returned the eganter, got a floor model. works fine. at home too. sounds great
Old 01-05-2013, 12:58 PM   #35
Robbgnarly

Quote:

I hope they threw you some free stuff for the agrivation you went through.

glad you got it sorted though.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:10 PM   #36
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Quote:

Brother, I'm telling you that you still need to check those other variables. There is something wrong here other than just bad luck.

Seven dead amps is absolutely unreal. Even with Bugera, usually people are fine after one Lemon. Not always. It's certainly more likely to get a second one with them.

With the only changed variable here being that you bought this one in person, rather than having it delivered, it very well COULD be your UPS man. When I worked there, "Fragile" meant nothing. Unless it was a TV, it didn't get special treatment. Especially around this time of year. This is their busiest season, and they're just coming out of it, but now is "returns" time.

He could certainly be at fault this time.

However, congrats on finally getting your amp

You should do a NAD! I look forward to reading it

EDIT:

Also,

COME JOIN THE DARK SIDE!

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1339413

We need more people in that thread

Last edited by Blktiger0 : 01-05-2013 at 04:26 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:49 PM   #37
Vicious_Turtle
UG Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
I hope they threw you some free stuff for the agrivation you went through.

glad you got it sorted though.

thats funny you say that, my dad returned it as i couldnt go. and they asked if he wanted any free picks or strings and he said no! he told me that and i was shocked. who says no to free sh*t!!!!????
Old 01-05-2013, 04:50 PM   #38
Vicious_Turtle
UG Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0
Brother, I'm telling you that you still need to check those other variables. There is something wrong here other than just bad luck.

Seven dead amps is absolutely unreal. Even with Bugera, usually people are fine after one Lemon. Not always. It's certainly more likely to get a second one with them.

With the only changed variable here being that you bought this one in person, rather than having it delivered, it very well COULD be your UPS man. When I worked there, "Fragile" meant nothing. Unless it was a TV, it didn't get special treatment. Especially around this time of year. This is their busiest season, and they're just coming out of it, but now is "returns" time.

He could certainly be at fault this time.

However, congrats on finally getting your amp

You should do a NAD! I look forward to reading it

EDIT:

Also,

COME JOIN THE DARK SIDE!

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1339413

We need more people in that thread

what is NAD? haa
Old 01-05-2013, 05:17 PM   #39
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Your Dad is insane. Commit him immediately.

NAD is New Amp Day. You can do general NDG (New Gear Day) posts as well. It's just you getting something new and getting to show it off to your fellow UG'ers. It also helps others if they're looking for info about the amp because you have to include pics and either a review of the amp or clips of you playing it.

Here is the sticky about NGD posts:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1257940

and here is an example of a recent NGD I did, so you have an idea:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1580910
Old 01-05-2013, 06:33 PM   #40
Vicious_Turtle
UG Member

ahhh i see. thanks man. ill do that after work

Rate This Thread: