Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-14-2013, 02:58 PM   #1
skilly1

br80 hooked upto amp

I have a br80 micro multi-track recorder, is it ok to use it through my amp as an effects pedal/drum machine?
skilly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:18 PM   #2
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

That depends on your amp. If it has an aux input for playing CD players, MP3 players etc, you could plug it into that. Don't try plugging it into the standard guitar input though.

The best way to do it would be to take the amp out of the loop altogether, and simply play through the BR80 using either headphones or some PC speakers.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:33 PM   #3
skilly1

Would it cause some damage to the br80 or amp? It doesn't have an aux input, it's just for practicing with friend's, im not after perfect quality,
Thanks
Old 01-14-2013, 06:15 PM   #4
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Seriously, if you have a decent amp don't think about it. If it's a cheap solid state thing, feel free to try it but it's the wrong sort of input so it could potentially damage the amp.

If you want to jam with friends, just use the amp, forget about the rest.
Jet City JCA22H
Old 01-14-2013, 06:57 PM   #5
skilly1

Ok, cheers dude
Old 01-20-2013, 03:15 PM   #6
skilly1

Any suggestions what speaker I could buy, im thinking upto 50 if possible, nothin too expensive, also what cables do I need to buy to connect it to the br and to power supply

Thanks
Old 01-20-2013, 05:40 PM   #7
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

At that price range you're not going to get some proper monitors, so the best bet would be to surf around Amazon & ebay etc and find the best pair of PC speakers you can afford, they're designed to take input from a headphones socket so they'll work fine for what you're after. They should come with their own power supply and the right cable to connect to the BR.

They won't be great for mixing, but they'll be good for playing along to.
Jet City JCA22H
Old 01-20-2013, 06:08 PM   #8
skilly1

Old 01-21-2013, 04:45 AM   #9
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

It's a speaker, it should work

I'd recommend getting the pair though, it's only an extra 20.
Jet City JCA22H
Old 01-21-2013, 07:44 AM   #10
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!

Whoa, whoa, let's back up here! What are you trying to do?

The BR80 will run into a guitar amp, yeah. If you want to plug it into a guitar amp to use as a drum machine, that's a good idea. You'll need a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter though, and will lose some stuff with the stereo>mono. It won't sound amazing but will work.

However, using it for guitar effects is not going to work well at all, I really don't recommend it. You can grab a Line6 Pocket POD off Gumtree or eBay for about 35, all the effects and amps you'll ever need!

Those JBL Control 1 speakers are passive, which means they need a separate power amp. Don't bother.

Try these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/M-Audio-Stu...s/dp/B0010B0BPW
If you're going to a friend's to jam, you can just take the one speaker with the power amp in it and plug the BR80 into it. When you're at home, they make fantastic speakers for listening to music, playing games, mixing etc.

Head honcho at Stubborn Sound!
https://soundcloud.com/stubbornsound
kyle62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:15 AM   #11
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Don't back up too far!! Plugging the BR80 into an amp isn't the cleverest of ideas - there's a reason some amps have a separate input for that sort of thing (or some have a single input designed to take the different feeds). TS still hasn't told us what amp he has - maybe it will be OK, maybe it won't. I know there's no chance in hell I'd try it with my amp.

Didn't notice the speakers he'd linked to were passive though, TBH I didn't really look at them in that much detail, they just seemed like generic speakers worthy of nothing more than a . The AV30s are almost certainly a better suggestion.

The POD suggestion could work, although he'd be losing the drum machine functionality he's after wouldn't he? Don't know if the POD has one or not. This does though:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/GUITAR-EFFE...58770327&sr=8-1

I've seen them selling for as low as 50 on ebay, it has effects, it has a drum machine and would be OK to plug into his amp. Could be the answer.
Jet City JCA22H

Last edited by GaryBillington : 01-21-2013 at 08:18 AM.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:56 PM   #12
skilly1

I was looking at those m-audio speakers, I'll probably get them, do I need to buy extra cables or do they come with it aswell as a power supply?
The amp I was going to use was an orange micro crush
Old 01-21-2013, 06:24 PM   #13
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Just checked a couple of sites, neither said specifically whether those speakers come with any cables but I'd expect something like that to have a power supply at minimum.

If you've only got a Micro Crush though....

What you really need is a new amp.

To be honest, with a Micro Crush I wouldn't worry about plugging your BR80 into it. It will probably work on something like that although it will sound terrible, but you're obviously playing with pretty low expectations if you're using an amp like that anyway.
Jet City JCA22H
Old 01-21-2013, 06:51 PM   #14
skilly1

Thanks for checking that out for me,
That's just a practice amp for jamming with friend's, I have a proper laney amp too,

I've noticed the bass notes high up the frets on the low E string past the 12th fret sound muddy through the headphones and the orange amp, I think it sounded fine through the laney 30vc last time I played through it a while back. Is this because the micro amp and headphones don't have proper bass settings
Old 01-21-2013, 07:17 PM   #15
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

With the Crush, it's just because it's not very good. It's basically little more than a toy, you're comparing it to a real amp that's pretty highly rated.

With the headphones, it will depend on what headphones they are and what you're plugging them into.
If they're shit headphones, they'll sound shit.
If they're good headphones and you're plugging them into the Crush, they'll still sound shit because you're feeding them with a poor quality signal.
If you had good headphones and were feeding them a good signal they'd sound good.

As you already have a good amp, I'd say the best thing would be to get those AV30s to play your BR80 through. You can use your Crush for that if you want, but the AV30s will sound significantly better. I'd actually say you'd be best off not using the Crush at all, as you have the Laney you should use that for jamming with your friends - just don't try playing the BR80 through it!
Jet City JCA22H
Old 01-21-2013, 07:34 PM   #16
skilly1

Cheers for your help, and thanks for the warning not to play the br through my proper amp, yeah I'll probably end up buying those speakers but the micro amp will do for the time being, it was the br I was concerned about damaging cause its such a good bit of tech, as for the orange amp, I only paid 30 quid for it so it's hardly much of a concern
Old 01-21-2013, 08:06 PM   #17
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!

I really don't think you'll damage anything by running it into a guitar amp.

At extreme maxed out volumes, the added bass frequencies could eventually exceed the speaker excursion and damage it, but that's extremely unlikely. I've run all sorts of crap through guitar amps with no problems.

Those M-Audio speakers are a great purchase though, they're really nice sounding for general listening.

The only lead/adapter you'll need is something to convert the 3.5mm mini-jack on the Boss into RCA for the speakers. Something like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/1-5m-TRS-St...e/dp/B0024CAWS2

Head honcho at Stubborn Sound!
https://soundcloud.com/stubbornsound
kyle62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:43 AM   #18
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Still don't think it would be a good idea - I'm no technician, but the way I see it there wouldn't be amps with specific inputs for that type of signal if there wasn't a reason not to use the standard input.
Jet City JCA22H
Old 01-22-2013, 03:56 PM   #19
skilly1

Both your replies much appreciated

Rate This Thread: