Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-11-2014, 03:11 AM   #1
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

how do you get plug-ins to go to reaper?

i have a Focusrit 2i4 i know it sounds dumb, but i really am not the most savvy computer kind of guy.

i want to find a good compressor. i don't want to pay more than i need for anything. maybe some reverb. delay isn't necessary.

and how do you find drum tracks/machines?

i read through the hot to thread up top, but most were amp models and things like that.

i also wouldn't mind putting my synth into it but have no idea what cables i need.

i have no need for amp sims, i have what i need in my studio.

i appreciate it in advance. i apologize for my lack of knowledge.

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Diamond Compressor
Musket Fuzz
and a few guitars
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 04:11 AM   #2
chatterbox272

Download the Kjaerhus Classic pack, and Antress Modern pack. That should give you a pretty flexible set of plugins. Other ones to look into are smartelectronix, specifically the ones by Bram and Magnus (down the side) and Variety of Sound. Magnus' Ambience plugin is one of the best free reverbs out there.
To put them into reaper all you do is put the .dll files into your VST directory, the default path is something like C:\Program Files\REAPER (x64)\Plugins\FX

No idea about finding drum tracks, but the best free drum vst is Sennheiser DrumMicA, assuming you can navigate the german website (thank god for translate-enabled browsers). For connecting a synth, it will probably either need a USB cable (possibly USB-A to USB-B) or a MIDI cable, depends on the connectors of the synth. You could also just plug it's audio output into the input of your 2i4.
Masquerade: #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Caboose
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:27 AM   #3
Spambot_2
UG's redhead

have a trip to KVRaudio.com

Drum tracks you find looking for drum tracks on google, for the microkorg (it was a microkorg yeah?) you may only use it as a midi controller connecting the midi out to the scarlett's midi in, and if you want its sound as well connect the two audio outs to the scarlett.

Drumic'a I really didn't like the sound of.
It also is not free.
I mean it's free itself, but it's a kontakt 5 library and you need kontakt's full version to use it, which costs around 500 IIRC.

Look for drum samples online and load them into your sampler of choice.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:04 PM   #4
chatterbox272

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spambot_2
Drumic'a I really didn't like the sound of.
It also is not free.
I mean it's free itself, but it's a kontakt 5 library and you need kontakt's full version to use it, which costs around 500 IIRC.

Nah it comes with Kontakt Player which uses it just fine. The sound is very raw, takes a fair bit of processing to get most modern sounds but I've always found it easier to augment it than to build something up from scratch.
Masquerade: #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Caboose
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 08:11 PM   #5
CarsonStevens
Rocksmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
i want to find a good compressor. i don't want to pay more than i need for anything. maybe some reverb. delay isn't necessary.

Reaper actually comes with a ton of plugins already, including all of those you listed. Click the FX button on a track, and you should see a list of them all.

They've been sufficient for me (I used the included Real Sampl-O-Matic for drums before I got SSD), but YMMV.
CarsonStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 10:15 PM   #6
diabolical

I think you just play "Don't Fear The Reaper" and vsts go to the Reaper

Seriously though - I think the compressor that is built in is decent enough. Usually DAWs, including Reaper install effects in certain folders, so you'll have to point the new vsts to install in that folder, or install in certain folder. In my case I have c:\vst and c:\vst64 for 32bit and 64bit vsts, then I point my applications in these folders to recognize the plugins.

Try Camel Crusher for "attitude" compressor:
http://www.camelaudio.com/camelcrusher.php
diabolical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 02:14 AM   #7
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

thank you all very much!

yes i have a microkorg

i am going to try the drum ones, are they like programmable? or would that be when a midi controller wold come in or the micokorg?

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Diamond Compressor
Musket Fuzz
and a few guitars
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 02:59 PM   #8
CarsonStevens
Rocksmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
i am going to try the drum ones, are they like programmable?

Yes, they are. You create a Virtual Instrument on a blank track and then insert a MIDI item onto the track, then edit the notes in the MIDI editor.

Here's a tutorial I wrote back in the day on using Reaper's supplied plugins and free drum samples to get yourself up and running.
CarsonStevens is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: