Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-04-2013, 06:07 AM   #1
greenlasteve

What is the structure of this music

Hi there,
This is my first post.I want to learn music composing.I have roughly completed theory from Here.Live performance is not necessary to me.I need to build up the scores and VST would play that for me.Lately I am beginning to feel curious of soundtrack of a game called "God of War". I am trying to understand the composition and theory behind the music.For example look at this track.
Escape of madness

There is a music behind the voice.I do not know what kind of instrument used or what cord in what scale.Can any of you tell?
greenlasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:32 AM   #2
greenlasteve

anyone does not know this??
Old 01-08-2013, 06:05 AM   #3
LiquidSkies

Have you seriously never heard of this thing called an "orchestra"? Űo
It's completely VST in that track, but still, an orchestra.
LiquidSkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:54 PM   #4
greenlasteve

orchestra is a combination several instruments,right? Can you say what kind of instruments involved behind the voice? Somekinda flute like instrument I suppose,but I need to be sure and specific. I am using finale.I need to know the cord progression and other stuff to compose this kind of music. I can manage GPO if you say.But again I need to be sure about instrument.Plz shed some light on theory of this kind of music.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:08 PM   #5
AeolianWolf
Tonal Vigilante

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlasteve
orchestra is a combination several instruments,right? Can you say what kind of instruments involved behind the voice? Somekinda flute like instrument I suppose,but I need to be sure and specific. I am using finale.I need to know the cord progression and other stuff to compose this kind of music. I can manage GPO if you say.But again I need to be sure about instrument.Plz shed some light on theory of this kind of music.

it sounds more like brass & strings than winds to me.

you need more experience with music as a whole if you want to write music like that. going by chord progressions really isn't going to do you much good -- you need to learn to think of music as a whole.

gain some more experience first. this is not the type of music you just plunge yourself into and make. it is the culmination of musical study and ability acquired over a period of time, practice, and application.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSkies
Have you seriously never heard of this thing called an "orchestra"? Űo
It's completely VST in that track, but still, an orchestra.

no, what you're hearing is actual performers.

xbox gamertag: Aeolion
psid: Blackwindsamurai (holy **** i want a shorter one)

Last edited by AeolianWolf : 01-08-2013 at 04:09 PM.
AeolianWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:43 AM   #6
greenlasteve

Hmm I think I need to know more to dive into this type of music.@AeolianWolf,I have problem and confusion with some terminology.Can I shoot it now or in another thread?
Old 01-09-2013, 04:15 AM   #7
GoldenGuitar

I suggest you buy Samuel Adler's The study of Orchestration. Helped me out a lot when I was learning orchestration. Also get some practice arranging. Arranging and Composition go hand in hand.

And read this and go through the exercises here.
http://www.garritan.com/index.php?o...apper&Itemid=34
Also listen to real Orchestras, if you want to pull off a VST Orchestra and make it convicing, you'll need to pay attention to certain parameters such as dynamics, articulation, timbre, where the instrument families are located in a soundstage. So when you mix your Orchestrations they'll sound closer to their real counterparts.
GoldenGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:53 AM   #8
LiquidSkies

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeolianWolf
no, what you're hearing is actual performers.

Hm, sounded too lifeless for real people. Then it was the production.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:40 PM   #9
AeolianWolf
Tonal Vigilante

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSkies
Hm, sounded too lifeless for real people. Then it was the production.

you don't have much experience composing this sort of music, do you?

Quote:
Hmm I think I need to know more to dive into this type of music.@AeolianWolf,I have problem and confusion with some terminology.Can I shoot it now or in another thread?

you can go ahead and do that here. what terminology is throwing you off?

xbox gamertag: Aeolion
psid: Blackwindsamurai (holy **** i want a shorter one)
AeolianWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:05 PM   #10
greenlasteve

Thanks guys for kind replay.
In my quest of emulating some good choir music like in here (please hear a fine female voice that begin from 14 second to roughly 28 second),I have found a pretty good tutorial on youtube.
There a guy were saying a word many times.It is "voicing a minor cord with a melody blah blah octave higher". I know what "voicing cord" is.
But I do not know what "melody few(do not remember one or two he said,I accidentally deleted the browser history ) octave higher" means.
What is melody?
What is harmony?
Melodize how ?
Harmonize how?
"Cords in a key" is equal to "cords belong in a scale"?
If I choose a key signature in finale's score sheet,that means all cords on that chef must belong to same scale?
Can we approach like "placing note in first two measures in major scale,then placing note on third and forth measures in minor scale,then placing note on fifth and sixth measures in major scale"?
If we do it,then surely we can not use key signature,can we?
and
the following screenshots tell the rest.

and

More I dive into the ocean, more I feel I know little of music theory .But I want to learn.Bring the light guys.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:56 AM   #11
GoldenGuitar

Quote:
"Cords in a key" is equal to "cords belong in a scale"?
If I choose a key signature in finale's score sheet,that means all cords on that chef must belong to same scale?

Nope, that's not right, you can still place a key signature on finale and not stick to diatonic chords.
Quote:
Can we approach like "placing note in first two measures in major scale,then placing note on third and forth measures in minor scale,then placing note on fifth and sixth measures in major scale"?
If we do it,then surely we can not use key signature,can we?

Nope, you can still use a key signature even if you decide to temporarily modulate every 2 bars, however if you write how you described your melody is not going to be coherent. Also the idiom you want to write in doesn't do this often.

Last edited by GoldenGuitar : 01-10-2013 at 02:57 AM.
GoldenGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:38 AM   #12
food1010
Bassist

A chord can be notes played simultaneously or in succession. Some notes in a chord can even be implied but not actually played.

That's a little too complicated for what you're trying to learn, so don't worry about that. For now, think of a chord as notes played simultaneously.

Also, a key signature doesn't just limit you to the 7 notes that are "in that key." You can add accidentals such as sharps (notated "#", raises the note by a half-step), flats (notated "b", lowers the note by a half-step), or a natural (notated "♮", which takes away a sharp or flat from the key signature).

For example, if you are in the key of Db, which is the key signature shown in your example (5 flats, Bb Eb Ab Db Gb), your 7 diatonic notes are Db Eb F Gb Ab Bb C. These are the notes that you don't have to write an accidental (#, b, or ♮) for on the staff. To notate an Eb in this key signature, you just put a circle/dot on the bottom line of the staff, with no "#" or "b". However, if you want to notate E, you would have to write a natural sign before the dot so you would know to revert the Eb back to an E♮. You would very rarely see a sharp in this key, but theoretically if you were to write a C#, you would just put a # sign next to the C note.

If you are going to be switching between a major and minor key every two bars, I would just keep the key signature as the major one and write in accidentals.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:17 AM   #13
greenlasteve

ooo,So we use key signature to save time from "writing too much #,b"?
About the question above,Wikipedia tells me that melody is horizontal aspect of music.Vertical aspect is called harmony.So when we discuss about cords or "playing two instruments together say violin and piano" then we essentially use notes simultaneously.So in this situation,we will use the word called harmony.But if we analyze-write-think of what note will go ahead,will it be "c-f-g-a" or "c-d-g-a",then we describe the situation as "melody"?

In that sense what does these words mean "melody to a few octave higher"?
I have found another word called "tonal music".Could you guys say it's meaning?
Old 01-10-2013, 07:39 AM   #14
LiquidSkies

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeolianWolf
you don't have much experience composing this sort of music, do you?

Your train of thought escapes me.

Rate This Thread: