Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-04-2013, 12:24 PM   #1
Tyler.Allain
Up and Coming Tech

Pedal coloring my tone in a good way?

Okay, so I recently starting experimenting with different pedals in my process of building a pedal board and I noticed something very strange....

When I run my Rogue Analog Delay in the FX loop of my DSL50, it positively colors my tone...

Yeah, weird.

Suddenly the highs that sound like bees buzzing in a tin can are gone. The mids/low mids are more pronounced and the tone is tighter and more "round." Even when all of the knobs on the pedal are rolled down to 0.

Is this abnormal? Is something wrong with my amps effects loop?
Tyler.Allain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:48 PM   #2
Tremolo Bum
Addicted to FR

Usually some of the high frequencies are first to be lost when running through pedals/cables. It doesn't sound like anything is wrong.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Tremolo Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:54 PM   #3
Tyler.Allain
Up and Coming Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremolo Bum
Usually some of the high frequencies are first to be lost when running through pedals/cables. It doesn't sound like anything is wrong.

I didn't think so. I just don't understand how a $25 pedal can make an amp that costs hundreds sound that much better. I don't want to turn my delay pedal off, but that kinda defeats the point of it being a footswitchable pedal as I'd have to roll the knobs up to get the delay sound and role them down to disengage the effect while retaining the coloration.
Tyler.Allain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:11 PM   #4
Robbgnarly

Try a Digitech Bad Monkey or Hardwire CM-2 as a boost pedal infront of the amp and you can get some awesome sounds from the Crunch setting. I use the BM on my DSL100 and it adds so much body to the sound. And th BM is only like $45 new and you can get it for$30ish used.

A boost pedal and the crunch ch is my favorite tone out of the DSL it sounds like a really pissed off Plexi. However I normally use the Ultra 1 ch with the gain set at 1 'oclock and use the boost to push it hard for my bands.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:24 PM   #5
Tremolo Bum
Addicted to FR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler.Allain
I didn't think so. I just don't understand how a $25 pedal can make an amp that costs hundreds sound that much better. I don't want to turn my delay pedal off, but that kinda defeats the point of it being a footswitchable pedal as I'd have to roll the knobs up to get the delay sound and role them down to disengage the effect while retaining the coloration.

I suggest getting an EQ pedal. You can cut some of the harsh high freqs out, similar to what your delay pedal is doing.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Tremolo Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:29 PM   #6
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler.Allain

that could easily happen. a $25 overdrive or eq will affect how your amp sounds too, and if that's what it needs it could easily affect the tone for the better. i know it sounds like it shouldn't be right, but that's the way it is.

is it happening with the pedal on or off?

the other thing is, it may even be the limitations of the cheaper pedal which are improving your tone... you might be losing highs (which ordinarily is a bad thing), but if your amp has too many highs that might end up being a good thing. use a cheapo high capacitance cable with an amp which is too bright and you may well think it's improved the tone... but it's actually made it worse, just made it worse in such a way that it actually sounds better.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:40 PM   #7
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.

There probably exists a sandwich that tastes better with shit on it.
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:51 PM   #8
AcousticMirror
loves cheesecake

no something is wrong with your amp...
it's called someone put a can of buzzing bees in that stupid thing.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:40 AM   #9
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

I keep a basic Dunlop Wah in my chain, but out of sight, for precisely this reason. It seems t rob away a little bass or low-mids from the original signa, and I like that. If I take it away, even though I don't use the pedal itself, I'd have to change my amp settings, other pedal settings, pickups...

If it sounds good to you, roll with it. That's all that matters.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:20 AM   #10
Darkflame
officialBOSS pedals hater

It's a 25$ pedal, get a second one for your switchable needs
Also, double-delay is awesome.
I've experienced that a lot of times. Actually, I've experienced the same thing with all the BOSS pedals I used on my board. This is actually the reason my RC-2 is never on my pedalboard, even though I occasionally need it. It colors my tone in the same way yours does, but in my case, it doesn't make my amp sound good.
My band (Facebook)
My band (Bandcamp, free EP)
Darkflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:45 AM   #11
Offworld92
One among the fence.

"Coloring" is and should be a neutral term. It literally just means changing in some way. It could be good just as easily as it could be bad.

Anyway, you should just get an EQ with at least 7 bands. Then you never have to worry about how a pedal will "color" your tone.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:52 AM   #12
cjb2293

If you find that you like how the pedal effects your tone there really is nothing wrong with that. I'd say if you like it, keep it how it is.

Endorsements/Sponsorships
Cactus Picks
Curt Mangan Strings
cjb2293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:16 AM   #13
Griffin Effects

As most delay, chorus, and flanger effects mix a "wet" signal with a "dry" signal, a lot of times the bypass just cancels the wet signal and leaves the dry signal. This leaves a lot of the circuit in your signal which can color your tone. Whether you like this coloration or not?????
True bypassing it will get rid of this in bypass but it sounds like you like so I wouldn't do that. If the pedal is already true bypass and it colors your tone in bypass, that IS strange.

Doesn't that amp have a buffered FX loop? Maybe that's what's doing it.
Griffin Effects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:51 AM   #14
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

one amp i had (can't remember which one) it was really bright, but i threw something in the loop and it tamed it a little bit. so what did i do? run two 20' cables with something TB in the loop. it did nothing but that 'coloring' for me was positive. i probably even played shows with it that way.

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
looking for an attenuator.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: