Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-06-2013, 07:26 PM   #41
Spaz91
Turd polisher

Our friendly neighbourhood mod has unlocked the thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakkwyldefan79
I'll re-open it but everybody needs to keep it at a calm discussion. If anyone goes overboard I will be giving out warnings and bans. If you see someone has gone a little too far tell them to calm down and edit their post. Because if it gets too bad I'll be forced to close it again and it won't be re-opened.

Please take note of this, this is an important discussion that I'm sure a lot of us, including myself, can get a lot from. Keep it civil, keep it friendly and keep it as an educational discussion; that way we can keep it open!
Spaz91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:03 PM   #42
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91

Though I'm sure Bill Hicks would disagree.

Not a chance. After being beaten within an inch of his life and then nailed to one of those things until he died, I'm pretty sure Jesus would be happy to never see a cross again. That was three hours of his life he could probably have done without.

No, he's a Fender Jazz guy through and through. Maple fretboard; metallic red with black pickguard. Bone stock, of course. Jesus is not an ostentatious guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote:
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
FatalGear41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:06 PM   #43
JustRooster
Organ Donor

This community is just a very small fraction of the Bassists out there in the world. The vast majority of everyone in my area still plays Fender.

BUCKY
JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:27 PM   #44
fudger
Im a ninja of love..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRooster
This community is just a very small fraction of the Bassists out there in the world. The vast majority of everyone in my area still plays Fender.

Yeah pretty much. Outside of a few metal guys playing Schecters, a random spector or two and some custom builds almost everyone plays a fender or a knock off of it. They have classic styles which will probably never go away.
Bandcamp

I'd rather be Phishing...
fudger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:35 PM   #45
Sudaka
Novice Bass Player

I like this thread, let's keep it nice and easy! I'll post my opnion tomorrow, now i can't!

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Sudaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:33 PM   #46
Sliide90027

Thanks Spaz91.

Thanks for helping me see what is going on.

You proved that it was not just me.

I am going back to the Front alone, all by my myself, and looking at David King, Status, and Ken Smith Bolt-on Pin-ups while I wear out my BTB's.

Yes, the hardware in the 400 series have something left to be desired, but I will deal with that as I can. Will cost more than the Basses, but they are mine.
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Boss: SYB-5, PS-2, OD-20, EQ-20, PH-3,BF-3, CE-20, DD-20
Morely A/B
Sliide90027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:56 AM   #47
chatterbox272

I'm not a fan of the Fender price tag, but there are just some tones that just can't be nailed without a Fender. Fender has it's niche in the market, and were it a recent upstart it would have died in a hole by now, but unless you know another instrument that sounds exactly like an MiA Fender P Bass then it has it's place.
Masquerade: #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Caboose
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:12 AM   #48
Spaz91
Turd polisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRooster

I sometimes get a feeling that everyone has a Fender simply because everyone has a Fender, especially in the bass guitar world.

Like was discussed before, some of us have felt pressure to use Fenders out of familiarity.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:28 PM   #49
John Swift

Quote:
I sometimes get a feeling that everyone has a Fender simply because everyone has a Fender, especially in the bass guitar world.

Like was discussed before, some of us have felt pressure to use Fenders out of
familiarity.

Fender being in the business to make money naturally so the earning potential of budget priced instruments, many shops stock lower end Fenders but very few the top end of the market so it is very difficult to asses the quality/value for money compared to many other up market brands.
I have yet to come across a UK store that stocks G&L L2500s, I acquired mine by accident.
Stingray 5s are equally rarely on display.
Having played and liked a Line 6 4 string bass I was interested in the 5 string version but no store would get one in for me to try.
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
John Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:37 PM   #50
anarkee
oh the horror!

I am lucky that I do have a shop that sells the gamut on Fender and interestingly enough, Spector. Another shop in town is the Gibson authorized reseller. However, if you go over the hill to SJ, Guitar Center seems to have an odd mash up of Musicmen, lower end Ibbys and Fenders in stock. Since most first time buyers end up a place like GC, I imagine that Fender and Ibanez may have a bit of a foot in the door with beginning players.

I do agree that most shops carry the lower end Fenders and such. I'd have to go a bit out of the way to get someplace to try out say a Warwick. But as I've said previously, I think the options for intermediate to advanced players who are knowledgeable are better now. I also think with the evolution of music from the 60s - 90s, the music itself has pushed bass innovations and desire to move beyond the traditional Fender bass sound.

Fender still has a name, but like Ben said, its because they started it all. Still relevant, yes. Still has a place in music yes. Top of the heap? Up for debate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutter_101
Don't you mean "Why do we alcoholics keep taking about bass?"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LHWok-9xhc Yup.
anarkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:51 PM   #51
John Swift

Hi Tams Happy New Year to you and yours from Me & Val.

We've just had a quite large music store open in Sheffield (whilst others have closed down).
The bass department is still quite low profile with few decent basses

BTW You want to look up Little Richard on You Tube 'Long Tall Sally' circa 1956, you'll see his Bassist using a Gibson Violin Bass that McCartney's Hofner was modelled on.
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn

Last edited by John Swift : 01-07-2013 at 02:54 PM.
John Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:55 PM   #52
OtamotPuhctek

They're all tools.
Yes, some boarder on works of art, but unless you're hanging it on the wall for display, it's still a tool. If it feels right, sounds right, then it's relevant.
OtamotPuhctek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:40 PM   #53
Black Ox
Registered Abuser

As much as I enjoy Fender basses, it would be nice to see some new options such as ebony, 24 frets and EQs on the intermediate levels. I know not everyone likes ESP ltd basses and I've said this a lot but it's hard for me to want buy an expensive Fender when my ltd has a lot more to offer, in my opinion, for the same price of a MIM.

SIX GUN KID https://www.facebook.com/6gunkid
Black Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:15 PM   #54
Alucard817

Quote:

Like was discussed before, some of us have felt pressure to use Fenders out of familiarity.

I own my Fender P bass (which I now have to sell) cuz nothing else quite gets that P bass growl and tone, least not what I paid for it. The only others I've heard that match the growl and tone cost as much as a mid level used car. Sure others come close, in the case of Squier, damn close, but still not perfect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Ox
As much as I enjoy Fender basses, it would be nice to see some new options such as ebony, 24 frets and EQs on the intermediate levels. I know not everyone likes ESP ltd basses and I've said this a lot but it's hard for me to want buy an expensive Fender when my ltd has a lot more to offer, in my opinion, for the same price of a MIM.

Fender did offer a 24 fret jazz bass (jazz bass 24) with active EQ. They discontinued it due to poor sales.

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Alucard817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:02 PM   #55
dark Mass
ZORK

Just a fun fact about Fender in Japan.

Fender P-basses make up 50% of the total bass sales. While the J-bass is slightly lower 45% with Mustang and Jaguar making a meager 5%.

Why?

Fender just markets them at the right price and doesn't throw lawsuits around like Gibson or EBMM.

show
Old 01-07-2013, 10:06 PM   #56
Spaz91
Turd polisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard817
Fender did offer a 24 fret jazz bass (jazz bass 24) with active EQ. They discontinued it due to poor sales.

This was a real shame, it was arguably the best bass they ever made. I think the problem was it was either jet black or some sort of boutiquey flamed maple. If someone is looking at a classic Fender shape then I doubt they want either of those things, the Select series will be next.

Speaking of ebony, why do Fender fretlesses come with an unfinished rosewood board? I think I'd rather have the ebanol board of a Squier! I think that goes from personal preference and is certainly a design flaw.

Last edited by Spaz91 : 01-07-2013 at 10:08 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:11 PM   #57
dark Mass
ZORK

Quote:
This was a real shame, it was arguably the best bass they ever made. I think the problem was it was either jet black or some sort of boutiquey flamed maple. If someone is looking at a classic Fender shape then I doubt they want either of those things, the American Deluxe series will be next.

Speaking of ebony, why do Fender fretlesses come with an unfinished rosewood board? I think I'd rather have the ebanol board of a Squier! I think that goes from personal preference and is certainly a design flaw.

Three things.

1.They don't want their standard line instruments getting "exotic" woods.
2.Avoiding federal criminal investigations and seizure.
3.Tradition
Old 01-07-2013, 10:44 PM   #58
Tostitos
Barely Awake

Quote:
This was a real shame, it was arguably the best bass they ever made. I think the problem was it was either jet black or some sort of boutiquey flamed maple. If someone is looking at a classic Fender shape then I doubt they want either of those things, the Select series will be next.

IIRC they were only figured maple tops in either tobacco burst or cherry burst finish. Great basses, even if some people had issues with the preamps. I believe they weren't selling particularly well and something about Fender deciding not to continue with Korean manufacturing. Fun fact, there was an MIA version, the FMT Jazz with a blocked neck.

Spector and Markbass

DeviantART
Crevado
Tostitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:01 PM   #59
anarkee
oh the horror!

Quote:

The Jazz 24 came in tobacco and cherry. There was also some issues with pickup hum when you soloed on one pickup or the other. Everyone I knew who had one ended up replacing the pups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutter_101
Don't you mean "Why do we alcoholics keep taking about bass?"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LHWok-9xhc Yup.
anarkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:03 PM   #60
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

Quote:

A Fender representative addressed the use of rosewood fretboards on their fretless basses: "Just like Jaco!" It also alleviates the problems associated with ebony fretboards - namely, the wood costs on average 12 times what rosewood costs, and even without fretting it, it is a bitch to work.

I wish Fender would offer ebony fretboards as an option on all of their standard bass designs, but that just ain't going to happen.

Also, my Jazz 24 CSB is stock. I've never had a problem with the pickups, but I almost always run them both wide open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote:
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!

Last edited by FatalGear41 : 01-07-2013 at 11:04 PM.
FatalGear41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: