User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-08-2013, 06:01 AM   #61
Spaz91
Turd polisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tostitos
IIRC they were only figured maple tops in either tobacco burst or cherry burst finish. Great basses, even if some people had issues with the preamps. I believe they weren't selling particularly well and something about Fender deciding not to continue with Korean manufacturing. Fun fact, there was an MIA version, the FMT Jazz with a blocked neck.

They lost a lot of good stuff with that factory, I always wanted a Big Block Precision.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anarkee
The Jazz 24 came in tobacco and cherry. There was also some issues with pickup hum when you soloed on one pickup or the other. Everyone I knew who had one ended up replacing the pups.

This is the one I played:
show

But I suppose neither of those two finished were exactly out of the box either.
I've never played a Fender lower than MIA Deluxe that had a decent preamp, sadly. Even whatever it is they put in the Miller jazz instead of an Aguilar is shit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalGear41
A Fender representative addressed the use of rosewood fretboards on their fretless basses: "Just like Jaco!" It also alleviates the problems associated with ebony fretboards - namely, the wood costs on average 12 times what rosewood costs, and even without fretting it, it is a bitch to work.

I wish Fender would offer ebony fretboards as an option on all of their standard bass designs, but that just ain't going to happen.

I knew it'd be something like that. Did they also know that Jaco lacquered the fingerboard and still refused to use it aside from recording and gigs? Honestly the ebanol board does a much better job.

To be fair, they shouldn't be using rosewood or ebony, they're both endangered. They should move onto Pau Ferro, especially for fretlesses.
Spaz91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:03 AM   #62
John Swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtamotPuhctek
They're all tools.
Yes, some boarder on works of art, but unless you're hanging it on the wall for display, it's still a tool. If it feels right, sounds right, then it's relevant.

I have a workshop where I build cabs, rack units etc.

I tend to buy cheap use and abuse battery drills etc for general woodworking because the expensive power tools I own are not cost effective.
The same applies to my Basses.
I use the Squier Affinity 5 most of the time in my band that plays everything from Eagles soft rock to their Rocky Mountain Way and Fleetwood Macs Loved Another Woman, Dreams and the much heavier Go Your Own Way.

The Squier Affinity 5 at 210 GBP cuts it on all of them to the point where my G&L L2500 stays in its gig bag most of the time (forgot to mention I did fit a spare J-retro kit on the Affinity).

I use my home build 1x15 which cost me less than 100GBP to put together and I'm usually asked to turn it down.
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn

Last edited by John Swift : 01-08-2013 at 07:45 AM.
John Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:26 AM   #63
Alucard817

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
To be fair, they shouldn't be using rosewood or ebony, they're both endangered. They should move onto Pau Ferro, especially for fretlesses.

Actually only Brazilian rosewood is endangered. Theres quite a few different species, some that aren't even true rosewoods.

To Fenders credit, and quite a few other companies. More and more of them are using farmed trees rather than cutting down 100 year old forests.

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Alucard817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:30 AM   #64
Spaz91
Turd polisher

Yeah I was just reading up on Indian rosewood. Was it Gibson who got intro trouble about the Brazilian rosewood or was it something else?

I still think Pao Ferro should be the standard for fretless Fenders, it looks similar enough to rosewood but its a lot harder.

Edit: The Jaco sig uses pau ferro while the "Just like Jaco!" standards use rosewood.

Last edited by Spaz91 : 01-08-2013 at 06:32 AM.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:10 AM   #65
Tostitos
Got Mead?

Quote:
I still think Pao Ferro should be the standard for fretless Fenders, it looks similar enough to rosewood but its a lot harder.

Interestingly enough Fender does use pau ferro, but not on fretless. The MIM Deluxe Active Jazz 5's have Pau Ferro fretboards.

Spector and Markbass

DeviantART
Crevado
Tostitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:17 AM   #66
Spaz91
Turd polisher

My Fender Standard Jazz V, the one with the in line tuners and shite pickups was Pau Ferro.

It looks just a shade lighter than rosewood, maybe that's why they don't use it more often?

The jazz felt nice to play and looked great but I just couldn't get any sound I wanted out of it.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:00 PM   #67
Tostitos
Got Mead?

I actually like how it looks more than rosewood in most cases.

There are other good alternatives too like chechen and granadillo. I think chechen would make a pretty fretless board.

Spector and Markbass

DeviantART
Crevado
Tostitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:15 PM   #68
Spaz91
Turd polisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tostitos
There are other good alternatives too like chechen and granadillo. I think chechen would make a pretty fretless board.

Chechen looks pretty cool, quite red; granadillo looks indistinguishable from rosewood, you might be onto something.

The least Fender could do is supply their rosewood fretlesses with flatwound strings.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:45 PM   #69
dark Mass
邪魔よ&

Quote:
It looks just a shade lighter than rosewood, maybe that's why they don't use it more often?

Pau ferro causes allergic reaction in eyes and skin. It's also a sensitizer meaning the more you use it the more you react to it.

I hate working with the stuff since I break out in hives and rashes on hands and neck.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:03 PM   #70
Spaz91
Turd polisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark Mass
Pau ferro causes allergic reaction in eyes and skin. It's also a sensitizer meaning the more you use it the more you react to it.

I hate working with the stuff since I break out in hives and rashes on hands and neck.

Damn, that sucks. What do you think of Tostitos' suggestions?
Old 01-08-2013, 04:32 PM   #71
dark Mass
邪魔よ&

Quote:
Damn, that sucks. What do you think of Tostitos' suggestions?

Out of the two Granadillo since it's a much nicer wood to work with and doesn't have the issues of Chechen.

Chechen ages better and but it does like to split when it gets below 15% humidity.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:48 PM   #72
Spaz91
Turd polisher

We have oils to stop that, surely.

On a side note, cooking oil works just as well as lemon oil.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:17 PM   #73
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

Quote:

Try carving a set of gun grips out of Sneezewood. There's a reason they call it that. If you don't wear a respirator during sanding (and like an idiot, I didn't), it will absolutely wreck you. The sawdust from it also irritates the hell out of your skin. Not to mention the fact that it is as hard as a rock, so your expensive carving blades go dull in about five minutes.

Never again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote:
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
FatalGear41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:45 PM   #74
dark Mass
邪魔よ&

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalGear41
Try carving a set of gun grips out of Sneezewood. There's a reason they call it that. If you don't wear a respirator during sanding (and like an idiot, I didn't), it will absolutely wreck you. The sawdust from it also irritates the hell out of your skin. Not to mention the fact that it is as hard as a rock, so your expensive carving blades go dull in about five minutes.

Never again!

I have work with it before it's plain nasty to work with.

Also try working cocobolo it can cause upper respiratory and eye infections even with respirator and goggles on. It also hates glues and likes to spread it's orangish-brown color to lighter colored woods. This is the reason I hate the Dalbergia genus of woods.

Anyways maple gives you rashes and ash decreases lung capacity.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:01 PM   #75
Spaz91
Turd polisher

What about Wenge?
Old 01-08-2013, 06:45 PM   #76
dark Mass
邪魔よ&

Quote:
What about Wenge?

Wenge looks nice but I wouldn't want to work with it everyday.

It sands unevenly, splinters like nothing, and has a nasty trait of making wounds go septic.

It also blunts cutting tools and has a faint bitter scent when sanding.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:48 PM   #77
Spaz91
Turd polisher

That would explain the strange pattern Warwick use on their fingerboards. They use massive CNC routers for everything anyway.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:52 PM   #78
Deliriumbassist
UG's only DB

Hickory has always seemed an interesting and possibly useful wood for guitar building.

Deliriumbassist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:56 PM   #79
dark Mass
邪魔よ&

Quote:
That would explain the strange pattern Warwick use on their fingerboards. They use massive CNC routers for everything anyway.

It would explain why they use bell brass instead of the standard nickel silver or stainless steel frets.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:27 PM   #80
Spaz91
Turd polisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliriumbassist
Hickory has always seemed an interesting and possibly useful wood for guitar building.

What are its properties?

Quote:
It would explain why they use bell brass instead of the standard nickel silver or stainless steel frets.

How come?

I'd like to see more basswood basses, the stigma needs to go. Personally I like the idea of a guitar or bass that sounds like my playing and the pickups I choose rather than a piece of wood.

Rate This Thread: