Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-04-2013, 04:31 PM   #1
TheHiddenWeasel

Question broadening my music horizons

Hello everybody.
Recently i have noticed that i have a hard time playing solos over funk or fusion backing tracks. This led me to conclusion that i have to listen overall to more music genres, because i haven't gone far from rock - metal and it's subgenres.

Can you suggest me some: fusion, funk, modern blues artists? Or any other genres that contributes to your playing.
When it comes for fusion, i really like MVPs Centrifugal, so anything similar would be great.

Thanks!
TheHiddenWeasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:05 PM   #2
CryogenicHusk
wannabe guitarist

How good of a player are you? If you've got the chops, I suggest you study some Guthrie Govan, Wolfgang Muthspiel, Shawn Lane, Al Di Meola, and Pat Metheny, if you don't know them all already... I don't have the chops, but love their music.

As for funk, I'm kind of new to the genre myself, but here are some good tunes:
show

show

show

Last edited by CryogenicHusk : 01-04-2013 at 05:07 PM.
CryogenicHusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:37 PM   #3
TheHiddenWeasel

I'm still a pretty bad player. Have played for about 2 years and my sweeps and legato started comming together pretty ok. I am familliar with Shawn Lane and Guthrie Govan. I searched briefly Pat Metheny and Wolfgang Muthspiel, and at this hour in time they don't appeal too much for me. And thank you a lot for remembering me of Al Di Meola. My dad showed me few years ago him with Paco de Lucia live, and i really liked them.

Also, those funk tunes are great! I have already came up with some interesting phrases when fooling around my guitar while listening to them.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:39 PM   #4
Hail
kill both bass players

i love when people want to hear fusion but don't want to hear jazz

also:

guitars are so limited, expand your horizons, mboy. even holdsworth is a self-loathing horn-emulator, and he's top of the line in the guitar world
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:31 PM   #5
TheHiddenWeasel

That scared the shit out of me when i pressed play.
And i never said i don't want to hear jazz. I'm not used to it and i'm really tired now to start listening to it right off.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:30 PM   #6
crispykids

guitars like any instrument has as many possible sounds as there has been people born throughout all of humanity there are no limits when it comes to music
crispykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:01 AM   #7
food1010
Bassist

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispykids
guitars like any instrument has as many possible sounds as there has been people born throughout all of humanity there are no limits when it comes to music
Right you are. There is a very limited amount of notes (well, strictly speaking in terms of 12tet), but an unlimited amount of sounds you can make with those notes.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:04 AM   #8
Scott Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHiddenWeasel
Hello everybody.
Recently i have noticed that i have a hard time playing solos over funk or fusion backing tracks. This led me to conclusion that i have to listen overall to more music genres, because i haven't gone far from rock - metal and it's subgenres.

Can you suggest me some: fusion, funk, modern blues artists? Or any other genres that contributes to your playing.
When it comes for fusion, i really like MVPs Centrifugal, so anything similar would be great.

Thanks!

Go listen to Oz Noy, Scott Henderson and Tribal Tech, John Scofield, Wayne Krantz. All killer in the style in which you're interested.
Scott Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:39 PM   #9
Hardlycore
Now it's a party

James Gang.
Hardlycore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:53 PM   #10
Usernames sucks

When i started to get into prog, it opened a wide horizon of musical styles for me
https://soundcloud.com/kjartan-thor...fe-in-purgatory
Usernames sucks is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: