Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 01-04-2013, 05:58 PM   #1
leigh596
Gaming and Guitar
 
leigh596's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Glenrothes, Fife, Scotland.
Ibanez RG821

Im starting to get kinda bored of my Fender Blacktop Strat and im debating selling it. I thought at first it would be pretty versatile but i later found that it only really does one thing well and thats classic rock which really my thing (I prefer to play stuff by bands like August Burns Red, Lamb of god, Parkway Drive, Killswitch Engage, Periphery, Veil of Maya etc). Sure it can do high gain and stuff but its pretty bad at it. Ive been looking into buying an Ibanez RG821 as ive seen them online for around 420 (lol) which is pretty cheap compared to the 550 price tag that they get on alot of sites. Does anyone have any experience with them or have any of you heard anything about them?

link -http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eg_page12.php?area_id=2&data_id=196&color=CL01&year=2012&cat_id=1&series_id=72

inb4 buy a new amp - Its not worth saying this, i wont be able to get one until late next year and tbh i can get some alright tones out of that piece of shit i call an amp.
__________________
My Rig
Fender Blacktop Strat HH MN > Joyo JF-01 Vintage Overdrive > Boss ME50 > Line 6 Spider IV 30

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic
Yamaha 12 string acoustic

New Amp Fund
300/700
leigh596 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:18 PM   #2
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
 
Dave_Mc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern Ireland
can you stretch to the 550? cos if so i think dolphin music (think that's the one) had a 1451 for that in the after christmas sale. might be worth considering. or not. I've actually heard the MIJ Ibanez quality has dropped a bit in recent years, but i haven't tried any recently (or the 1451).
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blew1
I've seen some great videos on YouTube e.g The Tone King


er....



Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.
Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:26 PM   #3
leigh596
Gaming and Guitar
 
leigh596's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Glenrothes, Fife, Scotland.
I probably could but id have to save for a while for one, like a couple of months. I dont know if im just being picky but i prefer the look of the 821 solely because it doesnt have a pickguard haha, im really not a fan of pickguards, especially on RG's, i suppose if it meant having a guitar as good as that i could put up with it or take it off! The other thing pulling me towards the 821 is the new bridge thats kinda like the evertune, it looks pretty cool
__________________
My Rig
Fender Blacktop Strat HH MN > Joyo JF-01 Vintage Overdrive > Boss ME50 > Line 6 Spider IV 30

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic
Yamaha 12 string acoustic

New Amp Fund
300/700
leigh596 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:22 PM   #4
Soccerguy
Bloo
 
Soccerguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh596
I probably could but id have to save for a while for one, like a couple of months. I dont know if im just being picky but i prefer the look of the 821 solely because it doesnt have a pickguard haha, im really not a fan of pickguards, especially on RG's, i suppose if it meant having a guitar as good as that i could put up with it or take it off! The other thing pulling me towards the 821 is the new bridge thats kinda like the evertune, it looks pretty cool


You wouldn't want to take the pickguard off, unless you wanted all your electronics to just hang loosely...
Soccerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:29 PM   #5
ChucklesMginty
lol
 
ChucklesMginty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
can you stretch to the 550? cos if so i think dolphin music (think that's the one) had a 1451 for that in the after christmas sale. might be worth considering. or not. I've actually heard the MIJ Ibanez quality has dropped a bit in recent years, but i haven't tried any recently (or the 1451).


Yeah I've got a 1451, it's a good guitar but not quite what I'd expect for a Prestige. Still one of the best guitars in the price range IMO, although I'd still like to swap out the pickups (as is sadly the case with a lot Ibanez guitars.)

The problem is once you've dropped 150 - 200 on a great set of pups you could've spent that money on a more expensive guitar.
ChucklesMginty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:29 PM   #6
leigh596
Gaming and Guitar
 
leigh596's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Glenrothes, Fife, Scotland.
I didnt know they were attached to the pickguard on them haha i thought they were in a cavity in the back!
__________________
My Rig
Fender Blacktop Strat HH MN > Joyo JF-01 Vintage Overdrive > Boss ME50 > Line 6 Spider IV 30

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic
Yamaha 12 string acoustic

New Amp Fund
300/700
leigh596 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:57 PM   #7
leigh596
Gaming and Guitar
 
leigh596's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Glenrothes, Fife, Scotland.
I dont have a job yet so when i want an extra 150/200 then i have to wait until christmas/birthday, i might not even get a new guitar, im just kinda looking for ideas right now, i dont think id go for the 1451 though, its atleast an extra 100 which would leave me saving for a while and the 821 sounds pretty good stock from what ive heard
__________________
My Rig
Fender Blacktop Strat HH MN > Joyo JF-01 Vintage Overdrive > Boss ME50 > Line 6 Spider IV 30

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic
Yamaha 12 string acoustic

New Amp Fund
300/700
leigh596 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:09 PM   #8
TunerAddict
UG Freak
 
TunerAddict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bing, bitch
I'm failing to see how the strat is the problem when you are playing through a Spider.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by willT08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_the_fox
Hey man believe it or not I got other things in life to do aside from trolling assburger kids yaknow?


No you don't

lol
TunerAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:10 PM   #9
ChucklesMginty
lol
 
ChucklesMginty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
I would personally get your Vypyr Tube first, the blacktop is a good guitar.
ChucklesMginty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:00 PM   #10
leigh596
Gaming and Guitar
 
leigh596's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Glenrothes, Fife, Scotland.
It doesnt suit my needs though, im playing metal through amp sims on my computer and its not cutting it, the vintage tremolo is a piece of shit too. I hardly play through my amp, i only really use the line in for music, thats it.
__________________
My Rig
Fender Blacktop Strat HH MN > Joyo JF-01 Vintage Overdrive > Boss ME50 > Line 6 Spider IV 30

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic
Yamaha 12 string acoustic

New Amp Fund
300/700
leigh596 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:12 AM   #11
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
 
Dave_Mc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChucklesMginty
Yeah I've got a 1451, it's a good guitar but not quite what I'd expect for a Prestige. Still one of the best guitars in the price range IMO, although I'd still like to swap out the pickups (as is sadly the case with a lot Ibanez guitars.)

The problem is once you've dropped 150 - 200 on a great set of pups you could've spent that money on a more expensive guitar.


ah right, i haven't tried them. thanks for the info. that's a very good point about the pickups, too- at 700 or so you probably have other options (I got my NOS charvel and rg3270 for 700, lol- granted, "right place right time" kind of one-off deals, but deals do come around every so often if you're patient).

i remember i loved the rga121 but that's a fair while back. it's been discontinued for a good while.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blew1
I've seen some great videos on YouTube e.g The Tone King


er....



Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.
Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:51 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.