Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-04-2013, 06:05 PM   #1
pacf16

HELP! buying new amp

This is my first post here, i've been searching in other threads but im ****in lost. seriously. Im worse than before. So here's the deal, i need an amp for practice and small gigs.

I play stuff like led zeppelin, white stripes, black sabbath and stuff like that. Im really into hard rock and rock/blues.

My budget is around 260 €, or about 350 $.

I really dont mind if it is a tube amp or solid state.

recently i've seen two used amps that caught my attention. One is the peavey valveking 212, which is around 250 $ the other is marshal valvestate 8280 which is around 340 $. Are they good? do you recommend anything else?

Sorry for any mistakes, im from portugal!
Cheers!
pacf16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:12 PM   #2
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Valveking will work and that's a pretty reasonable price. Avoid the Valvestate.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:14 PM   #3
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

+1 (well... i haven't tried the older valvestates... by most accounts they're better than the newer ones. but the newer ones are shite, so "better than shite" still might not be much of a recommendation...)

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:22 PM   #4
pacf16

yeah, the dude that is selling the valvestate told me that. the first series were really good, on the other hand, the other series of the valvestates are bad, for the price that you have to give. So, between those 2, should i buy the valveking?
Old 01-04-2013, 06:26 PM   #5
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacf16
yeah, the dude that is selling the valvestate told me that. the first series were really good, on the other hand, the other series of the valvestates are bad, for the price that you have to give. So, between those 2, should i buy the valveking?

Yes.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:28 PM   #6
roaddawg07

Definitely the Valveking
Fender Labrea electic/acoustic
Peavey tour 450
Peavey tour 410/115
Galien-kruger Backline 600
Black Heart BH15h
Gibson Les Paul gold top (Knock off)
roaddawg07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:34 PM   #7
pacf16

so, what you guys are saying is that for my budget, the valveking is the best option? what about a fender blues jr? will it serve my needs?
Old 01-04-2013, 06:52 PM   #8
red.guitar
Imagine All The People

Look at the Jet City JCA series.. a JCA20 should be in the price range, especially used.

I got the 50watt head version. It would smoke a VK any day. It can go from a barely od tone, all the way to thick metal dist.

Def worth taking a look at.
1985 MIJ Contemporary Strat
1997 Snake Pit Les Paul
2008 MIM Fender Tele

Amps:
Jet City JCA 50H
Peavey Ultra 112
Mesa Boogie 212

Check out my band CITIES GATEWAY
red.guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:57 PM   #9
pacf16

thanks red guitar, but i cant find any jet city amp for sale in portugal. :/
Old 01-04-2013, 07:19 PM   #10
red.guitar
Imagine All The People

Quote:
thanks red guitar, but i cant find any jet city amp for sale in portugal. :/

My bad, I didnt notice where you were located!

I'd go with the VK over the Marshall.

The valavestates are pretty shitty amp. They are a hybrid. solidstate power section, and a tube preamp I believe.

What stores are in your area? I'm might be able to find you something better!
1997 Snake Pit Les Paul
2008 MIM Fender Tele

Amps:
Jet City JCA 50H
Peavey Ultra 112
Mesa Boogie 212

Old 01-04-2013, 07:29 PM   #11
pacf16

the stores in my area are really shitty stores. im also thinking of buyin an used amp, but if you dont mind helping, you could show me some cool amps to buy, from www.musicstore.de, i can find almost all of the stuff they sell there, here in portugal in somes stores or in sites that sell used stuff, and might also buy directly from music store if the deal is good. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-04-2013, 07:40 PM   #12
red.guitar
Imagine All The People

I'm sort of having a hard time navigating thorught that site

I seen a Vox AC4TV there. I own the head and cab version. They are great for rock/blues, especially if you throw a od pedal in front of it.

You may be better off going with the VK tho. The vox is pleanty of loud for practice, but you would need to mic it for sure for gigs. Its also a single channel amp, so you wouldnt really be able to have clean and od, unless you have a dist or od pedal.
1997 Snake Pit Les Paul
2008 MIM Fender Tele

Amps:
Jet City JCA 50H
Peavey Ultra 112
Mesa Boogie 212

Old 01-04-2013, 07:48 PM   #13
jjbarnes
You read these?

Valveking should work fairly well. Without a super super efficient speaker in the ac4 you won't get any cleans at all. You might try and look at getting a modeling amp of some kind. I don't know what you have now, but you could go for one of the fenders. I didn't like the mustang I had, but I also didn't like the complexity nor did I know anything about dialing tone on a modeling amp or how amplifiers worked so that I could get a better tone from it.
Vox Night Train
Raven 1x12
Digitech Whammy
TC Electronic Polyphonic Tuner
Earthquaker Devices The Hoof Fuzz
Carbon Copy
BYOC BBO
TC Arena Reverb
jjbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:53 PM   #14
pacf16

y, the site is ****ed up, even you change language that shit still show some things in german. x) but thanks anyway. I think i'll go with the VK. it seems versatile enough, its loud, which is good for gigs, and for the price, i dont think i can find anything better. thanks for all the replies!
Old 01-04-2013, 07:57 PM   #15
pacf16

do you think that a fender mustang is better than a VK? i mean, in my view the mustangs are good for bedroom amps, like you can emulate all those effects, and plug it in directly to pc, to work in your musics and what not, but are they good for gigs? cause that is my main concern.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:25 PM   #16
MokaZ54

Quote:
do you think that a fender mustang is better than a VK? i mean, in my view the mustangs are good for bedroom amps, like you can emulate all those effects, and plug it in directly to pc, to work in your musics and what not, but are they good for gigs? cause that is my main concern.

Boas, tbm sou tuga =).
Tenho um Mustang mas para Gigs não prestam pah. Experimenta um Marshall Class 5
=======

Hey
I own a mustang and they aren't good for gigs. Try a Marshall Class 5 =).
MokaZ54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:47 PM   #17
katalyzt13

I like a Blues Jr. with pedals better, but a 212 Valveking would do nicely as well...
katalyzt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:19 PM   #18
ikey_

blues JR would be good, used night train or tweaker 15 would be good.

honestly, i was quite happy with my bugera v22 easily has new for 350 or way cheaper used. very hard to beat for that price. good amp...really.

solid it on craigs list for 200 with an extra 5751 tube. i mean it appears that what the market was on it, but the tone some dude got for 200 in a 22 watt tube amp, solid buy.
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:24 PM   #19
Paddynbob

I might have to suggest something else here... You say you like a lot of bands with different sounds there - for example Zeplin and White Stripes. I'd suggest a backstar, because they've got the ISF feature so you can switch between British and American voicing... I've got one, it can do slash as well as it can do jack white. Great value for money and tone.
Paddynbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:35 PM   #20
jjbarnes
You read these?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddynbob
I might have to suggest something else here... You say you like a lot of bands with different sounds there - for example Zeplin and White Stripes. I'd suggest a backstar, because they've got the ISF feature so you can switch between British and American voicing... I've got one, it can do slash as well as it can do jack white. Great value for money and tone.

My issue with blackstar is that they sound like toys, honestly, and the ISF is a bit of a gimmick. It doesn't change the tone all that much for the better and the clean channel is too clean and the dirty channel starts at saturation. Zep and Stripes actually aren't all that different. They're both cranked amps and some fuzz thrown in every once in a while.
Vox Night Train
Raven 1x12
Digitech Whammy
TC Electronic Polyphonic Tuner
Earthquaker Devices The Hoof Fuzz
Carbon Copy
BYOC BBO
TC Arena Reverb
jjbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: