Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-06-2013, 11:11 AM   #1
GuitarDTO

Am I Crazy? (Thinking of selling my amp)

Hi everyone. Need some advice. I currently have a Mesa Boogie Mark V combo amp that I am considering selling, but I have a few reservations. The amp is awesome, there is no question about that, but I simply don't utilize it that much. It stays in my home as a practice amp. I'm not in a band, nor do I plan to be any time in the foreseeable future. I don't jam with people very often, and when I do, it's a pain in the as$ to lug the 60+ lbs around.

Enough about that, a few things have me considering selling it now besides all that. Photography is another big hobby of mine, and I have a few lenses in mind that I could get with the money from selling the amp. (Can't escape Gear in any hobbies!!). The other reason, I just picked up the AmpKit app for my Macbook, and I'm VERY impressed with it. There is no replicating the tone from my Mark V, however Ampkit has very good high gain tones that are good enough to the point where it has me thinking about this. The caveat? Ampkit only seems to sound good through headphones. I haven't experimented too much, but right now my setup is:
Guitar-->Apogee One Interface-->MacBook Pro, and the Apogee One has a headphone jack as an output.

I'm wondering how, and if it's even possible, to output the tones from Ampkit to a larger/louder speaker setup that I could use to play live and with a group. The only thing I've tried thus far is using an auxiliary cable from the Apogee One headphone jack to my home theater system, and it sounded very "Tinny" and nowhere near as good as through headphones. I don't understand why you can output music from iTunes the same way, and it sounds great just like it does through headphones, but AmpKit sounds completely different.

Anyways, am I crazy for even considering this? I don't "Need" to sell my amp. It would merely be to buy photography gear but I don't "Need" that either. What about the Ampkit setup, does anyone else use a similar type setup where they run an amp simulator/laptop through a PA system and it sounds good? I think I would play live with other people more often if it were as easy as carrying my laptop and guitar interface with me and just plugging into a speaker system, but I don't understand exactly what the best way to do that is (If I need other equipment, etc)

Thanks

Last edited by GuitarDTO : 01-06-2013 at 11:13 AM.
GuitarDTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:51 AM   #2
SimplyBen
Call me Ben :)

You'll regret it. My amp is broken and I've been using ampkit and such a for a while now until I can get it sorted and it sucks ass.

There's just so much to miss about a proper loud ass tube amp that you can't really get with an amp sim, IMO.
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

SimplyBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:55 AM   #3
Robbgnarly

Unless you have to sell, keep the Mark. You will deff regret selling it
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:20 PM   #4
GeetarHeero
Philosophizer of Time

Sell Mark V. Buy older used Mark III and photography gear. Sorted

Dean VMNTX (EMG set)
Peavey 6505+ 112
+ a buncha teh pedlulz
GeetarHeero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:29 PM   #5
Danilo Luz

I have a Mesa Boogie MarkV also.. I will never sell it unless Mesa puts out a "MarkVI" amp and I wouldn't have the money to get it.. I love the awesomeness of playing through the best tube amp money can buy in my own opinion and taste mesa Boogie MarkV :-)
Danilo Luz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:37 PM   #6
gregs1020
Hi mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarDTO
I'm wondering how, and if it's even possible, to output the tones from Ampkit to a larger/louder speaker setup that I could use to play live and with a group.

nothing that will be any easier to move around than the mark. you could run it to a PA or keyboard amp but it won't sound the exact same as the headphones and it's just as much of a PITA to move around.

there's nothing wrong with having great tone at home.
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:58 PM   #7
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Sell that ish

You don't need it. Focus on your real love. Photography. AmpKit/Apogee is just as good.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:05 PM   #8
TremontiAddict

I'll give you $500 for it...
TremontiAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:11 PM   #9
omidmash

Don't sell the Mark V. Sold mine, and I regret it every single day. I know that lenses are expensive as ****, but I'd recommend you to look for 2nd hand lenses as if you have a more traditional branded DSLR (Canon, Nikon) since the old lenses fit the new camera models they make. Of course I'm just saying this on top of my head, so do ask around but I am 100% against you selling such a great amp.
omidmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:11 PM   #10
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:29 PM   #11
Mossis

Depends on what lenses you're thinking of buying.
It's like he was destined to be a shady sexual creep
Mossis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:31 PM   #12
ikey_

well thats on the heavier side for a 1x12 combo, but a tube amp of any significant wattage is going to be heavy regardless.

sounds to mee like you could use a high quality lunch box style low wattage amp and a high quality 1x12.....the most portable setup a guitarist can have besides something like plugging straight into a blues junior.

also gives flexibility if you just want to change heads.

unfortunately, like any good item, both together will cost a pretty penny depending on which ones you choose.

all in all, unless you go for aserious downgrade in quality i think your taking a loss.

its like selling your car because of gas milage. ok so you pay less every week, but you have this car payment.... might as well just kept the SUV (unless you travel constantly for work or something).
(crybaby, GFS tuner, CMAT Signa Drive, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Xotic EP Boost)
ikey_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:32 PM   #13
gregs1020
Hi mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311ZOSOVHJH
Sell that ish

You don't need it. Focus on your real love. Photography. AmpKit/Apogee is just as good.

says the guy with a 100 watt splawn tucked in his man cave.

gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:46 PM   #14
GuitarDTO

Thanks for the advice everyone, I'm leaning towards just keeping it. It's good to hear from a few who have sold theirs and regret it. We don't have a big house right now but eventually my wife and I do plan on moving and I would definitely be setting up a man cave where I could put the Mark V to better use. Someone pointed out that being able to play through a decent set of speakers with AmpKit would probably also entail lugging around a PA speaker, so I'm realizing that it may not be quite as portable as initially thought.

The lens I would be buying right away is the new Sigma 35mm 1.4.
GuitarDTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:05 PM   #15
Dempsey68
UG's John Mayer Fanatic

keep amp, save for lens.

simples

or is it not at all possible to get the lens on some sort of 'finance' thingy...

here in the UK we have a camera shop/chain called "jacobs" and they do 0% interest 9-month finance things, you just need to put 10% down and then the other 9-months are again 10% of the price... i got a Canon EOS 550D, 4 lenses lenses, a rucksack style carry case for them all, 2 spare batteries, and a flash gun... i'm paying just over 190 a month for the lot each month... i've only got 3 more months of paying monthly and i've paid for the lot xD

just thought maybe finance would be a consideration for you than selling what is a top quality amp (though i would prefer an original AC30 or a classic fender amp, but that's just me, i'm a blues player...) and regretting it for ever.
Dempsey68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:01 PM   #16
icronic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarDTO
...Someone pointed out that being able to play through a decent set of speakers with AmpKit would probably also entail lugging around a PA speaker, so I'm realizing that it may not be quite as portable as initially thought...

It would also sound awful. Generally speaking the more volume you play anything like that the worse it ends up sounding. As you noticed headphones are generally ok, but once you get it through speakers it starts sounding thin/tinny/fuzzy once you start adding volume it only really brings these issues out even more. There are some modelers that are better than others, PodHD, 11R, Kempler, Axefx2 etc... But even these options can be pricey.

If you had a PA to plug into when you jam, then you could probably grab a used 11R for $500 and go direct. Otherwise you'd need a decent powered monitor or a rack PA + passive monitor. This option would be easier to transport, but after selling the Mark and buying what you needed you really wouldn't have a lot of cash to spare.

Keep the combo. If weight is an issue I'd suggest buying empty head / cab shells and converting your combo into a head and cab. More weight, but far easier to carry and the whole process isn't that expensive... Or just buy a dolly
icronic is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: