Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Original Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-04-2013, 11:00 PM   #1
TidalReach

UK {C4C} New Alt Rock demo songs (Home recorded)

Hey guys, my band Tidal Reach have recently produced a home recorded EP which was very kindly reviewed on these forums by many people and the feedback was amazing so now that we are working on a new album for the new year I couldn't help but return and seek out more amazing advice and opinions on the new material we are producing.

I am the vocalist of the band and i'm responsible for the lyric-writing and vocal melodies so feedback on those areas are particularly welcome but if any specific parts of the music strike you, by all means comment on them!

The original EP was a mix of sounds, form acoustic to heavy....but in this new album, we think we have found our definititive "sound". The album itself is entitled "Edge of Reason" and the 2 tracks I am posting here will be the first two songs off the album, not including the instrumental introduction (which is uploaded anyway and entitled "Wasteland" if people like that sort of thing )

Tidal Reach Soundcloud

All of our songs are home recorded using a USB microphone and a mini amp so keep that in mind ^^.

Hope to hear good things and lots of constructive feedback and I will check out other peoples music and offer some feedback too if you can help us out!

On a final note, if you like the stuff, by ALL means check out the other songs such as those from the EP...It's out earlier stuff and I feel we have progressed alot over the short time we have been composing but it is still pretty decent

BIG THANKS AGAIN! You people are awesome!

Last edited by TidalReach : 01-06-2013 at 07:10 AM.
TidalReach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:51 AM   #2
ItsThatDude
I do things.

your links aren't working but I found you anyway. I'll let you know what I think in a second.

So here are the notes I took as I was listening:

"Edge of Reason"

-Vocals are clipping, turn the levels down or re-track them
-I personally would increase the delay time on the vocals, it would sound more epic and I feel that's what you're going for
-Adjust the levels of the tracks for a better balance of sound
-If there is any bass on the track, I can't hear it. The system i'm listening through has subs
-Add reverb to the drum tracks, they're too dry compared to the rest of the tracks

"From the Ashes"
-I would pan the rhythm guitars out of the center, at least for the intro
-Rhythm and solo tones are too similar, they create a muddy sound when played together

that's all I got, I hope it helps you in some way!

Check out my demo, it's not too long. Let me know what you think track by track
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1579270

Last edited by ItsThatDude : 01-05-2013 at 10:08 AM.
ItsThatDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:21 AM   #3
TidalReach

Thats odd they seem to work fine for me...Thank you for the crits! We know production-wise it isn't perfect. We intend to work on that when studio oppurtunites present themselves. However, what do you think of the vocal melodies and guitar riffs. These elements concern us more at the moment as opposed to production....
Old 01-06-2013, 07:32 PM   #4
Indy_Fire

Not forgotten

Kinda creepy intro, slight offtime parts add to the feel.
Drums break in and alter the time and feel riff over the top is cool, great overdubbed secnd part. same feel but distortion kicking in and the layers building.
Great haunting feel. Vox well levelled and sung.
Some great solos in here as well.
How was this recorded? sounds good.

Check mine out?
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1581515
Indy_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:15 PM   #5
TidalReach

USB microphone for everything but drums which are samples till we get to a studio....recorded and composed everything in one night too...was fun ^^. Takeaway and recording is a good night lol. Shall check your stuff out now!
Old 01-07-2013, 03:58 AM   #6
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!

I know you're not too bothered about the production but seriously, that is painful to listen to.

You've done things the wrong way round, with your vocals big and wide, but the guitars crammed in the middle.

If you fix the scratchy, tinny guitar tones and odd stereo placement, you'll have a workable recording there, but as it is now I wouldn't release this. You're going to struggle to get a gig anywhere if people hear that, even though the band itself seems pretty solid.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:07 AM   #7
TidalReach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle62
I know you're not too bothered about the production but seriously, that is painful to listen to.

You've done things the wrong way round, with your vocals big and wide, but the guitars crammed in the middle.

If you fix the scratchy, tinny guitar tones and odd stereo placement, you'll have a workable recording there, but as it is now I wouldn't release this. You're going to struggle to get a gig anywhere if people hear that, even though the band itself seems pretty solid.

Which song are you referring to? Absolutely no-one has said that it is "Painful" to listen to. We've had a ton of gig offers already so I'm not sure that its really as damaging as you make it out to be. Now i'm all for constructive criticism but im pretty sure what you're saying is a bit over the top.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:57 AM   #8
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TidalReach
Which song are you referring to? Absolutely no-one has said that it is "Painful" to listen to. We've had a ton of gig offers already so I'm not sure that its really as damaging as you make it out to be. Now i'm all for constructive criticism but im pretty sure what you're saying is a bit over the top.

Not Forgotten, From The Ashes and Edge Of Reason.

I know you guys aren't hyperserious or anything but it's still wise to only put out your very best stuff.
I'm not exactly Rick Rubin but I do have to get through a lot of demos, and unfortunately production does matter. It doesn't need to radio-ready or polished, but it does have to give a solid impression of what the band sounds like. Don't take it of criticism of the band by the way, there's some quality songwriting in there

If you've got all the stems to your stuff, feel free to upload them and I'll try and put together a quick mix just to give you a point of comparison.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:07 AM   #9
TidalReach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle62
Not Forgotten, From The Ashes and Edge Of Reason.

I know you guys aren't hyperserious or anything but it's still wise to only put out your very best stuff.
I'm not exactly Rick Rubin but I do have to get through a lot of demos, and unfortunately production does matter. It doesn't need to radio-ready or polished, but it does have to give a solid impression of what the band sounds like. Don't take it of criticism of the band by the way, there's some quality songwriting in there

If you've got all the stems to your stuff, feel free to upload them and I'll try and put together a quick mix just to give you a point of comparison.

I'll see what I can do when I get back from University tonight. We aren't majorly publicising the band by any means. Everyone we show these to we say they are very rough demos done with very bad equipment. It's more for us than anything else so we have vague copies of the songs ready for practicing for gigs.
One major problem for example is my voice. It is literally jam packed full of treble so it distorts our poor microphone really easily when i add more power....Things like that make the recording incredibly difficult. So as a result we decided to just take things as they are. We shouldn't experience the same problems when we get to a studio for recording and at least we have a large number of songs to pick from which are already roughly recorded the way we want them to sound - saving time and money. We made it public because alot of our friends still thought it sounded really good from the equipment we use....

Anywhos, ill see if i can sort you out with tonight....As far as echnical things go I'm pretty clueless. We recorded everything on Audacity....that may contribute to the lack of quality in your eyes.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:49 AM   #10
Indy_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by TidalReach
USB microphone for everything but drums which are samples till we get to a studio....recorded and composed everything in one night too...was fun ^^. Takeaway and recording is a good night lol. Shall check your stuff out now!

Not bad for the equipment for sure. I'm just using a line6 guitarport so I'm lacking the real amp sound.
I have used a lot of loops in the past for drums and have found they tend to have the best sound quailty wise, just leads to changes in the song because you can never find that one loop to set up. So I went back to midi.
Indy_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:03 PM   #11
Michael87

I listened to "From the ashes". It's nice song, but I would work on the intro from 0:00 to 0:24 until the solo comes, I would remove it and leave just the solo or change it somehow, because leaving just the solo might not sound too good. It's not like it's SO bad and maybe with proper recording I would see that differently, but to me something is missing, something isn't right. Other than that melodies are fine.

As for the mix and the production you already know it's not like it should be, but if it's just an idea till you get to some studio it's more less ok, although I would still pan it better to make it easier to listen for reviewers. Adding some bass wouldn't hurt too.

All in all keep up the good work
Old 01-08-2013, 01:51 AM   #12
aaron aardvark

Tidal,
"Not Forgotten": Seems to have timing issues much of the time. I like some of the riffs. The vocals are rather good: my favorite part of the song. Lead guitar is mostly good. Please review my music at this link:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1581578
aaron aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:30 AM   #13
TidalReach

Just uploaded the next song on the album "Frontier" check it out
Old 01-11-2013, 08:35 PM   #14
scorpsfan830

Frontier is an amazing song, it has a great hook at the beginning.

Ibanez RG350EX
Yamaha FG730S
Peavey Vypyr 15 watt
Korg CA-40 Chromatic Tuner
Fender 351 Medium Guitar Picks
scorpsfan830 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: