Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-05-2013, 12:48 AM   #1
cminxi

Squier Strat Mod - Deep Sea Gradient

So I've decided to mod my first guitar, a Squier Strat. I tried to strip the original body of its paint for three straight days with copious amounts of industrial-strength paint stripper, but I've abandoned that idea (I only just began to see wood on the third day) and bought an unfinished alder body from eBay. I also bought a quilted maple veneer online and I'm trying to go for something like this finish, but with a liiiittle more turquoise on at the top: http://prsguitars.com/privatestock/gallery/1652.php

I know it's super ambitious, but I've dyed a guitar before and I'm thinking it's just like doing a burst but in one direction... right? Any advice on how to go about creating such a crazy gradient?

I will post photos of the parts once they start rolling in. And a photo of the original guitar, if I get around to it.
cminxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:28 AM   #2
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cminxi
So I've decided to mod my first guitar, a Squier Strat. I tried to strip the original body of its paint for three straight days with copious amounts of industrial-strength paint stripper, but I've abandoned that idea (I only just began to see wood on the third day) and bought an unfinished alder body from eBay. I also bought a quilted maple veneer online and I'm trying to go for something like this finish, but with a liiiittle more turquoise on at the top: http://prsguitars.com/privatestock/gallery/1652.php

I know it's super ambitious, but I've dyed a guitar before and I'm thinking it's just like doing a burst but in one direction... right? Any advice on how to go about creating such a crazy gradient?

I will post photos of the parts once they start rolling in. And a photo of the original guitar, if I get around to it.

I hope you bought some extra veneer, because you've got a lot of practicing to do.

Also, watch this video, it's pretty good. I'd imagine you'd do something like he does:

W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:42 AM   #3
stonyman65
Unregistered User

You can also do it the old-fashioned way by rubbing it in by hand, but that takes a long ass time and is a lot harder to get the lines looking right. Use a spray gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.

Last edited by stonyman65 : 01-05-2013 at 01:46 AM.
stonyman65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:19 AM   #4
cminxi

Hmmm... last time I rubbed the dye in, but had some trouble with the burst. I think I wasn't using enough contrast in the dye color. I was thinking of rubbing it in again, but a spray gun would definitely make light coats easier... do you guys have any recommendations for cheap, good spray guns?
cminxi is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: