Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-05-2013, 06:19 PM   #1
-Ed-
The Thing Upstairs....

Lightbulb An original and unique question about using a head as a power amp :)

Hi UG

I've just acquired a JMP-1 pre-amp and have had a great day using it plugged into the return on my JVM head and it sounds awesome.

I've also got a DSL1 (yes a 1 watter) which has an FX loop. Can I use the 1 watt amp as a power amp without blowing it?

When using the JVM all the master controls work - MV, reverb, presence and resonance.

When using the DSL1 only the tone shift and deep button have an impact, I can only control volume using the JMP-1.

I've googled this aplenty and all the info is on plugging the 1 watters into a power amp not using the 1 watter as a power amp.

It looks like I'm the first weirdo on the web who wants to use a 1 watt amp in this way - either that or my google-fu is shamefully weak today
-Ed- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:21 PM   #2
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Your JMP is a preamp, which can safely run in the fx return.

All of your preamp controls on your amp head that you are using for a power amp will not work. All the power amp controls suck as presence and resonance will work just fine.

Last edited by R45VT : 01-05-2013 at 06:22 PM.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:48 AM   #3
Tremolo Bum
Addicted to FR

Yes that will be fine. You will use the preamp controls of the JMP and the power amp controls of the DSL1.
Effects - TS9, MXR 10 Band EQ, Carbon Copy Delay
-Digitech RP1000
Tremolo Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:31 AM   #4
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

this thread is of interest to me
Old 01-06-2013, 04:08 AM   #5
-Ed-
The Thing Upstairs....

Thanks folks

There are no power amp controls on the DSL 1 it would seem which is why I thought it odd, and worthy of asking here

311Z - glad I'm not the only one
Old 01-06-2013, 04:44 AM   #6
jaybals
guitarchitect

just make sure the DSL has some sort of dummy lead to take the power amp, othewise it could blow!

Dr. Octafuzz
Fulltone Wah
Ibanez TS7
Carl Martin Chorus
Malekko 616
HoF Reverb

http://www.facebook.com/SpecialBruise
https://soundcloud.com/special-bruise
jaybals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:28 AM   #7
GABarrie
Call me Gordon

Any amp with an effects return can be used as a power amp, however there are a few things that will act as serious tone sucks.

Firstly, parallel effects loops. A) the signal from the unused preamp is still mixed in. This will result in low volume and a thinner sound. B) Many parallel loops attenuation the return signal and you will get some unwanted and serious volume drop.

Secondly, and for much of the same reasons, fx loops with the signal path break on the send jack. This will result in low volume and a thin sound again but is easily fixed by plugging a jack from a spare cable into the send jack.
Archer "Dry Ice" Overdrive
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
GABarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:33 AM   #8
GABarrie
Call me Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybals
just make sure the DSL has some sort of dummy lead to take the power amp, othewise it could blow!
umm... wut?

He's talking about using it as a power amp and therefore connected to a speaker which is the only connection that would result in an amp blowing if it was missing.
Archer "Dry Ice" Overdrive
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
GABarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:39 AM   #9
-Ed-
The Thing Upstairs....

After digging about a bit it would seem the key difference between JVM and DSL is that on the DSL the volume controls are before the FX loop which explains why when using it as a slave none of the knobs work.

So, are we absolutely sure that I can plug my JMP-1 preamp into the return on the 1 watt DSL with no fear of blowing up my little DSL1?

Last edited by -Ed- : 01-06-2013 at 11:39 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-06-2013, 12:34 PM   #10
GeetarHeero
Philosophizer of Time

Preamp signals are weak, man. I know the DSL is relatively small at 1W but you're not feeding that power section anything it can't handle with your preamp.

Dean VMNTX (EMG set)
Peavey 6505+ 112
+ a buncha teh pedlulz
GeetarHeero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:51 PM   #11
Emperor's Child
PUT YOU IN MY OVEN!

Not really a new/unique question but it should work fine. When you plug into the FX return you are effectively just using the power amp part of the DSL1, no different than using a dedicated power amp of any wattage.

I'm not sure about the stuff GABarrie mentioned. That could be an issue but I'm not very knowledgeable on FX returns, let alone the DSL1.
Emperor's Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:42 PM   #12
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ed-
So, are we absolutely sure that I can plug my JMP-1 preamp into the return on the 1 watt DSL with no fear of blowing up my little DSL1?

yes.

your DSL-1 has a preamp that feeds it's power section. by plugging in the JMP-1 in the effects return of the DSL-1 you are only bypassing the DSL-1's native preamp and running an external preamp in it's place: Nothing To Worry About

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:26 PM   #13
-Ed-
The Thing Upstairs....

Superb, thanks all.

I've given it a go and confirm that I do not own a smouldering mess of marshall - it worked fine. I was uncertain because these were only 1 watt that the pre-amp from an external source would over power it.

Testing it works fine so anyone with a DSL1 or JVM1 will be able to do this. The only downside is that as the JMP1 output gets towards the top end, it gets a bit muddy, but to be honest, if you want it that loud, there are better amps than the 1 watters.
Also been using my JVM 205 with it, which if I'm honest is a bit better - I don't know whether thats the MV, presence/resonance or whether its down to the better (or bigger) o/p transformer
Old 01-06-2013, 10:07 PM   #14
AcousticMirror
loves cheesecake

it's that the one watters are terrible.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:08 AM   #15
Perverockstar69

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311ZOSOVHJH
this thread is of interest to me

+69

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Laney LC15R
Orange PPC212OB
Gibson SG Standard
LTD Viper-500
Catalinbread Ottava Magus
Jim Dunlop CFH
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzzhugger Algal Bloom
Ibanez TS9DX (mods)
Perverockstar69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:45 AM   #16
boyomarga
Banned

You will use the preamp controls of the JMP and the power amp controls of the DSL1.[img]*********************************/images/47.gif[/img]
boyomarga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:03 PM   #17
-Ed-
The Thing Upstairs....

I thought I'd update this one for perv and 311.

I also pinged this question to Marshall on Friday as it was a 1 watt amp and I wondered if it was different from a standard amp and they have confirmed there's no problem using it as a power amp with the JMP-1 preamp.

Having spent a good few hours playing it now, I can confirm it sounds awesome. I will retract my earlier comment comparing it to the JVM as the variance was down to EQ - there is no noticeable quality difference between using the DSL or the JVM 205 as the power amp. Either that or I need to sniff some corks as I have cloth ears

Signal chain is:

Guitar->TC Tuner -> Maxon OD -> NS-2 ->JMP-1 (in the JMP-1 loop there is TC Nova System -> KK MXR 10 band -> NS-2{x connected, I've only got 1 NS-2}) -> DSL1 -> Zilla studio 212 (GT12 + V30).

The JMP is controlled using a midi connection from the Nova.

I'm absolutely amazed at some of the sounds I've dialled in. This setup sounds "teh awsums" all the way from reasonable TV volume through to antisocial. I'm very happy with it

It is more complicated than my POD HD setup but I'm now thinking I'll sell the pod HD and maybe invest in a g-major and bigger midi floor board with the proceeds.

The only additional note I will point out as its been said a couple of times on this thread - there are no volume controls on a DSL1 (and maybe the bigger DSLs too) when using it as a power amp. The Fx loop is after the volume. Deep, tone shift and 0.1 (isn) watt buttons work but that is it.

Rate This Thread: