Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-05-2013, 06:26 PM   #1
yousef213

Orange TT vs Marshall Class 5 (Both Combos)

I went to guitar center today and ruled out several low wattage combos I was looking at including eganator, bugera, etc, and I am left with the TT and the Class 5.
To my ears the TT had less dynamics, but definitely more gain, and II really liked the mid hump on the marshall. I found the marshalll better in both cleans and moderate, and I am pretty sure it will be loud enough with a full band.
So for classic rock and blues purposes, the marshall seemed much better, which is contradictory to what I expected. I also found that the Class 5 love pedals but the orange is a bit picky.
The reason I liked the marshal better is that it had a much better clarity to it that the terror seemed to lack.
So what is with all of the rage about the TT, am I missing something?
Did my GC happen to have the best class 5 and the worst TT, or do many people agree with me?

Last edited by yousef213 : 01-05-2013 at 06:30 PM.
yousef213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:55 PM   #2
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Class 5 is a great little amp.

Never played a TT.

To be honest though they both suck as combos as they have little speakers. Head paired with a 1x12 or 2x12 would be better. Also are you going to be micing up?
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:58 PM   #3
Robbgnarly

I like the Class 5, but I would not use it for giging unless you will be mic'd up.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:07 PM   #4
yousef213

Quote:
Originally Posted by R45VT
Class 5 is a great little amp.

Never played a TT.

To be honest though they both suck as combos as they have little speakers. Head paired with a 1x12 or 2x12 would be better. Also are you going to be micing up?

Basically imo the combo has an external speaker out if I need it and I like having the portability and versatility of a combo. Every local venue near me has a pa system so I dont have volume concerns, although playing at rehearsals without micing would be good

Last edited by yousef213 : 01-05-2013 at 07:09 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:16 PM   #5
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousef213
Basically imo the combo has an external speaker out if I need it and I like having the portability and versatility of a combo. Every local venue near me has a pa system so I dont have volume concerns, although playing at rehearsals without micing would be good

The class 5 would be fine then.
But for practice with a band, I still don't think it will work very well, unless your band is pretty quiet.

I have truble practicing with a Peavey Windsor Studio with a full band and it is running an EL34 in the power section. We play loud, so don't take it as hard fact, but something to consider.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:05 PM   #6
yousef213

Has anyone else compared the Class 5 to the TT?
Old 01-06-2013, 06:16 PM   #7
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

The Class 5 if you can crank it. If you really want to bring it to life plug it into a cab running greenbacks. The Class 5 has no master volume so you really need to just dime it and use your guitar volume for gain. Do that and it's a marvelous little amp.
The TT is a fine little amp too but quite a different type of sound. It depends on what you are playing really. Tell us what type of music you are playing or else anything we can say would be just pissing in the wind.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:15 PM   #8
DeathByDestroyr
not autistic

I have been playing a TT through an Avatar 4x12 (v30) for the past few weeks. Dynamics do kinda get lost, but it pulls off a really good, heavy, doomey thing. I really like it, cool amps.

Never played the Marshall. Either way don't expect much cleans from either.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:52 PM   #9
yousef213

I play hendrix, zeppelin, floyd, jack white primarily. I also play in my church.
Every venue in my area, including my church, has a pa system.

My qualms are that the TT has a lot less dynamics than the class 5, and I dont need the extra gain that it has. It also doesant seem to take effects well. Ie my line6 dl4 created tons of mud infront of the TT but infront of the class 5 it was acceptable. I am surprised because my friends TT sounded amazing through a valve jr cab, but the combo sounded pretty bad in the store.

My only qualm about the Marshall is band practice, I dont want to throw money on an amp that I cant hear. My reason for the combos is for portability, and both the Class 5 and the TT have speaker outs if where I am gigging has a nice cab. Most likely I will buy the amp from GC on the 30 day return, try it at band practice, return it either way and if I like it get it on ebay.

Last edited by yousef213 : 01-06-2013 at 07:59 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:23 PM   #10
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

You want the Class 5. No question about it. Well really, you'd be better off with a Marshall 18W clone but failing that the Class 5 will do the deed. The only problem you'll have is if your drummer pounds the skins really hard. You won't know really until you try it in situ.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Old 01-06-2013, 08:40 PM   #11
yousef213

Sounds good. I will try it with my band and return it I get buried. Do you understand the rage the TT is generating? I heard it through an epi cab and it was good but the combo sucked. I was geniuenly surprised that my ears liked the marshall more especially given the 10" speaker.
Also I see that you are an amp tech. I saw some mods on MLP and I was wondering if they looked like they are logical.

Original Schematic http://files.onthelam.ca/guitar/C5_...am_complete.pdf

Moded Schematic http://files.onthelam.ca/guitar/C5_...ionic-Audio.jpg
I am buying the amp because I like the stock tone but I decided that I may try the mods anyway if they improved the tone

Last edited by yousef213 : 01-06-2013 at 08:43 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:44 PM   #12
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher

Orange AD5 beats both IMO

1977 Burny FLG70
Tom 1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:58 PM   #13
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Some of those mods look a little peculiar. For example, he's removed the biasing from V1b.
I doubt the changes to cathode bypass cap on V1a would do enough to bother with the effort.
It looks like he is trying to screw a bit more bass out of it. You could probably get the desired effect by removing the shitty OEM tubes and replacing them with JJ's. Much easier, I'd do that long before I started attacking it with a soldering iron.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Old 01-06-2013, 09:09 PM   #14
yousef213

He said that there is a lot of bass in the preamp followed by a high pass filter, so he said he is removing bass before the filter and added it after, then increased the useable range on the bass knob so it isnt always at 0.
I dont understand electronics so I asked, but the forum is here if you are interested in explanations. On MLP a lot of people seemed to have appreciated it so I wanted to show it to another crowd to see the reaction
http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/squ...-class-5-a.html

Last edited by yousef213 : 01-06-2013 at 09:10 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:22 PM   #15
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Well, like I said, I'd try decent tubes in there first and when it comes to Marshalls it's JJ's all the way. In that I'd go with ECC83S and the only EL84's worth pissing on in a cathode biased amp are JJ's. The first thing you do with any new Marshall is throw the original tubes in the bin.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Old 01-06-2013, 09:25 PM   #16
yousef213

okay thanks, the reason I looked at it is that keeping the bass knob always on 0 seemed like a waste for me. And I was planning on retubing it anyway

Rate This Thread: