Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-05-2013, 10:56 PM   #1
abourdeau

I have long and very fat fingers

Hello.

As you can read in the title, I have long and very fat fingers... This is due to some genetic problem called 'hand hyperketarosis'.

I have a Stratocaster but it's very difficult to play. I know some of you guys will tell me to man up and play but I tell you it's not easy and I know that I will have problems with smaller frets in the future.

Can you guys give me names of guitar models with large string spacing and a wide neck that I could buy that is affordable?

Thank you!
abourdeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:59 PM   #2
ZepJunkie
Strataholic

definenetely not a rickenbacher.
ZepJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:01 PM   #3
Darkflame
officialBOSS pedals hater

I'm not entirely sure about electrics, but I can tell you the fretboard is much wider on a classical nylon-string guitar than on an acoustic guitar if you ever want to play unplugged
My band (Facebook)
My band (Bandcamp, free EP)
Darkflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:02 PM   #4
dannyalcatraz

With a commercial guitar, you're probably best off with some kind of baritone and/or 7 or 8 string guitar. The first will get you more space lengthwise, the latter gets you width.

However, if you go custom, you could probably get a luthier to make you an extended-scale guitar with a neck suited for an 8 string...but with only 6 strings.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 01-05-2013 at 11:31 PM.
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:17 PM   #5
Alucard817

Quote:
Originally Posted by abourdeau
I know some of you guys will tell me to man up and play but I tell you it's not easy...

Some may be trolls, or even asshats, but not to that extent.

I wonder if you could string an 8 string neck like a six, just skip every other tuner. Someone else might be able to test it.`If all else fails maybe try a bass?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Alucard817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:17 PM   #6
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

First off, how long have you been playing? New players often say things like "my fingers are too short/long" when they really just haven't given enough time and really got comfortable.

Secondly, do you want a longer scale length as well? There are baritone guitars out there, but I'm not sure what is their fretboard width.

Lastly, if you are willing to pony up and pay a luthier to make a new neck, you can fit a longer neck on a strat, and fortunately, strat necks are like the easiest necks to make. A good luthier should have no problem making a neck with a 2" wide nut and scale length conversion that will fit on a strat body.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:27 PM   #7
abourdeau

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
With a comkmercial guitar, you're probably best off with some kind of baritone and/or 7 or 8 string guitar. The first will get you more space lengthwise, the latter gets you width.

However, if you go custom, you could probably get a luthier to make you an extended-scale guitar with a neck suited for an 8 string...but with only 6 strings.

Yeah well I don't think that getting a 7/8/over 9000 strings guitar will change something to the string spacing (or am I wrong?).

Good idea but won't be cheap..

There must be a guitar model with larger string spacing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard817
If all else fails maybe try a bass?

Well I always liked guitar better than bass but yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
First off, how long have you been playing? New players often say things like "my fingers are too short/long" when they really just haven't given enough time and really got comfortable.

Secondly, do you want a longer scale length as well? There are baritone guitars out there, but I'm not sure what is their fretboard width.

Lastly, if you are willing to pony up and pay a luthier to make a new neck, you can fit a longer neck on a strat, and fortunately, strat necks are like the easiest necks to make. A good luthier should have no problem making a neck with a 2" wide nut and scale length conversion that will fit on a strat body.

1. I am a new player but I tell you that when I press on a string with 3rd and 4rd finger well it touches any other strings near. It's that bad.

2. No idea, I'm new to all this stuff, but I guess it would help later.

3. Good idea but won't be cheap...
Old 01-05-2013, 11:29 PM   #8
Pink Muse
V Aww Yeahh. V

Give it a little while OP, but if you've got an actual diagnosed medical condition, you may have to actually find a new guitar. Look at Ibanez, their necks are pretty wide, but they're thin as well. They also have a lot of Strat-style double cutaway bodies, so it won't be a huge change there.

Try some at a shop, if they don't work, the luthier neck may be your best option. :\

Would you run down past the fence?
Tell us, is the black box lying?
Pink Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:29 PM   #9
ZepJunkie
Strataholic

Quote:
Yeah well I don't think that getting a 7/8/over 9000 strings guitar will change something to the string spacing (or am I wrong?).

Good idea but won't be cheap..

There must be a guitar model with larger string spacing!

Well I always liked guitar better than bass but yeah.

1. I am a new player but I tell you that when I press on a string with 3rd and 4rd finger well it touches any other strings near. It's that bad.

2. No idea, I'm new to all this stuff, but I guess it would help later.

I think everybody with normal sized fingers did #1 too. At least most people i know.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:31 PM   #10
Controlpanel
qɐuuǝp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard817
Some may be trolls, or even asshats, but not to that extent.

I wonder if you could string an 8 string neck like a six, just skip every other tuner. Someone else might be able to test it.`If all else fails maybe try a bass?

How would you even string a 6 string onto an 8 neck by just skipping every other tuner? a 9 string yeah. But not an 8.
Originally Posted by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
Controlpanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:32 PM   #11
ZepJunkie
Strataholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Controlpanel
How would you even string a 6 string onto an 8 neck by just skipping every other tuner? a 9 string yeah. But not an 8.

Umm.... You'd need an 11 string to do this....
Old 01-05-2013, 11:36 PM   #12
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:

I don't know, a strat neck is super easy to make. You should check that out before dismissing the idea.

Also, what are you willing to spend? Where are you located?

Last edited by W4RP1G : 01-05-2013 at 11:37 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:43 PM   #13
abourdeau

Sorry guys I don't have a Stratocaster. It's a Yamaha Pacifica. This:

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
I don't know, a strat neck is super easy to make. You should check that out before dismissing the idea.

Also, what are you willing to spend? Where are you located?

I am located in Montreal, Canada.

I would spend $300 max or I'll just sell everything and buy something else lol.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:43 PM   #14
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
Yeah well I don't think that getting a 7/8/over 9000 strings guitar will change something to the string spacing (or am I wrong?). Good idea but won't be cheap.. There must be a guitar model with larger string spacing!

That's what I'm saying: all baritones add length, but if you also need a broader fretboard, only 7+ strings have appreciably wider necks unless you go custom.

But don't let the word "custom" scare you too much. There are American luthiers whose standard prices start right at $1000, and brands like Carvin may be able to help you out slightly more cheaply- maybe $750- you'll just have to drop them an email.

The only real modification you're asking for is an 8- or 12-string's neck width made into a 6 string.

As I see it, there are a few issues involved. The body join might just need a little extra widening. Getting the nut properly slotted will be important. The tricky bits might be the bridge & pickups.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:43 PM   #15
Controlpanel
qɐuuǝp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZepJunkie
Umm.... You'd need an 11 string to do this....

truth..caught not going through a thought all the way...fun.
I only thought it out to 5 strings..lol
Originally Posted by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
Controlpanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:47 PM   #16
dannyalcatraz

There ARE some inexpensive 9, 10, etc. guitars from Agile, though, right?

I know there's this one: http://www.rondomusic.com/septorpro1030lg.html

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 01-05-2013 at 11:50 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:59 PM   #17
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

I'm guessing your yamaha has a 1 5/8 nut(4mm i think)?

You might be able to find an electric with a 1 3/4" nut, maybe a PRS SE or Godin. Whether or not that is wide enough is a different story. Like someone else said, go to a music store and try out some guitars.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:12 AM   #18
abourdeau

I've seen somewhere on these forums that it would be possible to buy a Warmoth Superwide neck and install it, would it be possible on my guitar?

If it's possible, what would be the other steps? I'm a total noob at this.

Thanks, you guys are really helping.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:03 AM   #19
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
I've seen somewhere on these forums that it would be possible to buy a Warmoth Superwide neck and install it, would it be possible on my guitar?

If it's possible, what would be the other steps? I'm a total noob at this.

Thanks, you guys are really helping.

The superwide neck is supposed to be a direct swap for a regular neck. Sounds like a good idea to me, I didn't know warmoth even made those. But I suggest that you find out how well a Yamaha pacifica body accepts a Fender strat neck before ordering one. If it's a direct swap, then I'd imagine that the Warmoth neck would work as well.

Also, this doesn't increase the scale length, which sounds like something that you might benefit from. Just depends on how often you use the high frets.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:41 AM   #20
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Take a serious look at the Ibanez RGD line. Ibanez guitars have a wider fretboard than most guitars (43mm instead of 42mm), and the RGD line has a longer scale (26.5" instead of 25.5" or 24.75"), so the fretboard will have wider spacing in between the strings, and the frets themselves will be farther apart.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: