Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-06-2013, 09:13 AM   #21
AshersUK

My first guitar was a Pacifica just like that. I went to an Epiphone Les Paul after that and found the strings too far apart, so I sold it! I have fairly short fingers.

So, maybe you need not look any further than a Les Paul of some sort? definately wider than the Pacifica of which I have experience.

Hope you find one that works for you. I settled on a fender Mustang - definately not what you want!

Ashers UK
AshersUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:45 AM   #22
azrael4h

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshersUK
My first guitar was a Pacifica just like that. I went to an Epiphone Les Paul after that and found the strings too far apart, so I sold it! I have fairly short fingers.

So, maybe you need not look any further than a Les Paul of some sort? definately wider than the Pacifica of which I have experience.

Hope you find one that works for you. I settled on a fender Mustang - definately not what you want!

Ashers UK

Yeah, I have a LP and a couple of Strats, the strings of the LPs are definitely further apart.

Without seeing the OP's fingers, I can't say if it'll be enough, but then there's always a good reason to head to a guitar store and start playing. Unless it's someplace like the one in Memphis which told me not to touch the guitars when I first walked in the door.

You could also consider a 12 string, just use 6 strings. You might want to check if that will be fine for the guitar, since I know the necks are designed around the extra tension of the 12 strings. But I remember watching a guy play who did just that; took a 12 string, and strung only 6. Bluegrass player at a festival.
azrael4h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:36 AM   #23
steven seagull
not really a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by abourdeau
1. I am a new player but I tell you that when I press on a string with 3rd and 4rd finger well it touches any other strings near. It's that bad.

2. No idea, I'm new to all this stuff, but I guess it would help later.

3. Good idea but won't be cheap...

To be brutally honest what you're describing is normal and something experienced players make great use of for muting purposes. I really don't think there's anything wrong with your hands at all, it sounds like you're worrying overly about it simply because you're finding out that learning guitar is simply a lot harder at first than you thought it would be.

It's common for newbies to fixate on something physical that would explain away he difficulties they're having when the truth is, it's NOT that easy, certainly not in the first few months.

there's unlikely to be anything physically wrong with you that prevents you from learning to play

likewise phyiscal size in relation to the instrument is unlikely to be any kind of barrier

you're learning a new skill and you're not very good at it yet, that's most likely all there is to it

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:32 PM   #24
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
As you can read in the title, I have long and very fat fingers... This is due to some genetic problem called 'hand hyperketarosis'.

I do not believe that the size and shape of your hands is related to a skin disease (that you can't even spell by the way).

Suck it up and practice, you just suck and there's nothing wrong with that. There's only something wrong with sucking if you do nothing about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:34 PM   #25
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

I would recommend using your talent, I mean fingers to their strengths.

Go find women, show them your fingers. Profit.

Can you get a 50s neck Epiphone LP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:43 PM   #26
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I do not believe that the size and shape of your hands is related to a skin disease (that you can't even spell by the way).

I think it was a typo. According to the Internet the condition can cause skin growth and calluses, which could manifest as larger fingers?

I'd say give him the benefit of the doubt about that mate. But I would say the problem is that he needs to practice.

I have a friend who was born with another pinkie. It was cut off. Imagine his skills if he'd have kept it, anyway, because of this finger he has trouble with his normal pinkie, and the tendon that shares the ring and pinkie also shared the removed one so you can imagine that he had some trouble. He has learned to have more control over it now.

I don't think he'll be a ridiculously fast shredder but he'll be able to do well.

All I'm getting at is, he used to say "I can't do that, my finger". I told him to practice and he'd get there. I'm sure you will too, there are many people who are fat who play guitar awesomely. (I don't mean you are fat, I mean other folk who may have fat fingers)

Quote:

Last edited by Mephaphil : 01-06-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:46 PM   #27
halfj06

Tony iommi became a riff god without a peice of finger
halfj06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:50 PM   #28
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfj06
Tony iommi became a riff god without a peice of finger

Agreed, as did Django Reinhardt...but that's a completely different issue.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:58 PM   #29
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephaphil
I don't think he'll be a ridiculously fast shredder but he'll be able to do well.

Watch the video of Rick Renstrom that Steven_Seagull posted and then we'll see what is and isn't possible.

Quote:
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:22 PM   #30
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

While I think some of his issue is definitely that he's still new and getting comfortable, if he really does has abnormally large fingers, then there is nothing wrong with him wanting to get a wider guitar. I hate this argument that "if person X can do it with a disability, then you need to suck it up". It reminds me of the "starving people in Africa" argument that most people have probably heard at some point, that you shouldn't ever complain about your food because there are people starving who would love to have it. While it might be true, no one is going to eat whatever slop comes their way out of some sort of appreciation if they have other options.

That being said, I think the TS should get a guitar with a wider neck if he has legitimately fat fingers that will cause him more grief than if he had average sized fingers.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:22 PM   #31
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Quote:
Watch the video of Rick Renstrom that Steven_Seagull posted and then we'll see what is and isn't possible.

That's what I mean, it's totally possible. My friend was all like nah, 'I can't do that' but then he could.

Sometimes people put limitations on themselves when they should be pushing themselves as they could be surprised.

In any case, my post said that I agree with you.

Quote:

Old 01-06-2013, 02:38 PM   #32
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
That being said, I think the TS should get a guitar with a wider neck if he has legitimately fat fingers that will cause him more grief than if he had average sized fingers.

The point is, however, that his fingers aren't what's holding him back. At all. The only thing that's actually holding TS back is that he's a newb and he sucks. All that he actually needs to improve is practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephaphil
In any case, my post said that I agree with you.

I know, I just like pointing out that video, posting it in threads like this is usually my trick!

Quote:

Old 01-06-2013, 02:42 PM   #33
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Quote:
I know, I just like pointing out that video, posting it in threads like this is usually my trick!

It's a good video!

Are there 50s neck Epi LPs? Google didn't give me as much info as I hoped it would.

Quote:

Old 01-06-2013, 02:47 PM   #34
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
The point is, however, that his fingers aren't what's holding him back. At all. The only thing that's actually holding TS back is that he's a newb and he sucks. All that he actually needs to improve is practice.

Are you operating under the assumption that his fingers aren't actually fat? Let's say that his fingers are fat, and they are actually making learning more difficult. While he may be able to overcome this in time, to expect him to do so just because others have is ridiculous. If he has the ability to get a guitar that will compensate his fingers and make learning easier, why shouldn't he?

I can see where you're coming from. I don't want to encourage him to make excuses or not learn correctly, but if he has a legitimate disorder and there are guitars available that will compensate for his disorder, then it's no one's place to tell him not to tell him not to get one of those guitars. And I don't know about anyone else here, but when I learned the guitar it was incredibly frustrating without any disorders that would make learning more difficult. I would never suggest a beginner do things the hard way when they don't have to.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:53 PM   #35
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Are you operating under the assumption that his fingers aren't actually fat? Let's say that his fingers are fat, and they are actually making learning more difficult. While he may be able to overcome this in time, to expect him to do so just because others have is ridiculous. If he has the ability to get a guitar that will compensate his fingers and make learning easier, why shouldn't he?

He'd have to have seriously fat fingers for it to actually be what's holding him back. Like the size of a decent peperoni sausage large. Unless he's actually fretting two strings at once even when taking all the time needed to fret accurately then it's really not the problem.

Quote:
I can see where you're coming from. I don't want to encourage him to make excuses or not learn correctly, but if he has a legitimate disorder and there are guitars available that will compensate for his disorder, then it's no one's place to tell him not to tell him not to get one of those guitars. And I don't know about anyone else here, but when I learned the guitar it was incredibly frustrating without any disorders that would make learning more difficult. I would never suggest a beginner do things the hard way when they don't have to.

Neither would I... but unless, as I said above, his fingers are enormous there is no easy way. Either keep it up and practice or quit.

Quote:

Old 01-06-2013, 02:58 PM   #36
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
He'd have to have seriously fat fingers for it to actually be what's holding him back. Like the size of a decent peperoni sausage large. Unless he's actually fretting two strings at once even when taking all the time needed to fret accurately then it's really not the problem.

Neither would I... but unless, as I said above, his fingers are enormous there is no easy way. Either keep it up and practice or quit.

hmmm....perhaps we can convince him to post a picture of his hand?

Do it, TS!
Old 01-06-2013, 04:29 PM   #37
StrykVladzimsky
ESP through Potato

I was going to ask the exact same thing. PICS!

Last edited by StrykVladzimsky : 01-06-2013 at 04:30 PM.
StrykVladzimsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:02 PM   #38
abourdeau

Alright, these are the pictures. As you will see, I have extra-large hands.

http://imgur.com/a/Le1X6

My disease is called "keratosis palmoplantaris". If you search on Google Images, you will see people with green marks or something. I don't have that but my palms and fingers are still thickened. The tips of my fingers are very round with more flesh than more people.

"Group of mostly hereditary disorders characterized by thickening of the palms and soles as a result of excessive keratin formation leading to hypertrophy of the stratum corneum (hyperkeratosis)."

Is that enough?
abourdeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:07 PM   #39
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Yep, it's plenty enough for me to know it's just because you suck. Stop blaming your body and get to work.

Quote:

Old 01-06-2013, 05:33 PM   #40
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Alright, these are the pictures. As you will see, I have extra-large hands.

http://imgur.com/a/Le1X6

My disease is called "keratosis palmoplantaris". If you search on Google Images, you will see people with green marks or something. I don't have that but my palms and fingers are still thickened. The tips of my fingers are very round with more flesh than more people.

"Group of mostly hereditary disorders characterized by thickening of the palms and soles as a result of excessive keratin formation leading to hypertrophy of the stratum corneum (hyperkeratosis)."

Is that enough?

I was seriously expecting to see some huge, gnarled fingers, but your hands look normal. They look like mine. In fact, I even held a CD in my hand to compare, and my hands are even bigger.

Sorry man, you should probably drop this pursuit of a wider neck and keep practicing until this isn't an issue for you anymore. Work past this, and later on try out some other guitars with wider necks and see how they feel. But until you get to that point, stick with what you have because there is no easy way out, only lots of dedication and hard work.

Rate This Thread: