Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-14-2013, 06:13 AM   #1
dazzzer30

Question / theory

I noticed that some music songs use the first and third strings - example would be third string - 2nd fret Note A . then first string 1st fret F that is the movable shape up and down the fret and some times you can slide the shape . Now my guess is this is a minor if you add the note D then you have a triad or could it be a Dm 7 ? Anyway I just want to know I am on the right track as i am not sure and I do like to know the theory behind what I am playing and what this is called ?.

Last edited by dazzzer30 : 03-14-2013 at 06:45 AM.
dazzzer30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:57 AM   #2
llBlackenedll
Serial Thread Hijacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzzer30
I noticed that some music songs use the first and third strings - example would be third string - 2nd fret Note A . then first string 1st fret F that is the movable shape up and down the fret and some times you can slide the shape . Now my guess is this is a minor if you add the note D then you have a triad or could it be a Dm 7 ? Anyway I just want to know I am on the right track as i am not sure and I do like to know the theory behind what I am playing and what this is called ?.

It's slightly ambiguous without more notes but you've got the basis for F Major there (where F major triad is FAC) so you have the root (F) and the major 3rd (A). If you add the D to the F and the A you just get a straight D minor triad (DFA), a Dm7 would be DFAC.

This ain't no wobbly-headed doll caper.

Last edited by llBlackenedll : 03-14-2013 at 06:59 AM.
llBlackenedll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:15 AM   #3
dazzzer30

Quote:
Originally Posted by llBlackenedll
It's slightly ambiguous without more notes but you've got the basis for F Major there (where F major triad is FAC) so you have the root (F) and the major 3rd (A). If you add the D to the F and the A you just get a straight D minor triad (DFA), a Dm7 would be DFAC.

So it could be F major or D minor related I know the song is in D minor key and the chords D minor and F major are both used in the song.
dazzzer30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:52 AM   #4
llBlackenedll
Serial Thread Hijacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzzer30
So it could be F major or D minor related I know the song is in D minor key and the chords D minor and F major are both used in the song.

Entirely isolated on it's own it's going to sound more like an F major, it pretty much depends on context (for example, what the other instruments are doing, what comes around it.) If the bass is playing a D for example then yeah it's helping to make up a D minor. You get that a lot in jazz, where the bass plays the root note of the chord and the guitar plays the rest of the notes of the chord or an inversion.

This ain't no wobbly-headed doll caper.
llBlackenedll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:22 AM   #5
cdgraves

It is called an interval, and that one is a 6th. Moving 6ths around on a pair of strings is a pretty common and effective technique.

You can work this out on your own, too: spell out some basic major and minor triads in each inversion, and then find which ones contain an interval of a 6th.

Examples:
C major - C E G; E G C; G C E

A minor - A C E; C E A; E A C

The notes forming intervals of a 6th are in bold type.

All you have to do is find what chord is being played, and then see which 6th sounds best over it, since each chord has two you can use (containing the root and third, or the 5th and third).

Last edited by cdgraves : 03-14-2013 at 09:24 AM.
cdgraves is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: