Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-20-2013, 06:36 AM   #21
LiquidSkies

I do barre by slightly turning my index finger so I press with the side of my index...and frankly, even after 12 years I still can't do a perfect E-minor-shape barre on the 10th+ fret on my Les Paul, the G-string *always* buzzes slightly. I guess that's just how my hand vs. the guitar neck works.

Applying pressure with your index only to the strings that the index finger actually needs to fret is the only actual advice that comes to mind though. Doing a full 6-string barre all the time is just nonsense.

Like for
Am: 577555 -> index puts pressure only on 5xx555.
Dm: x57765 -> x5xxx5
etc.
You don't need to press down all six strings all the time, so that should help.
LiquidSkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:32 AM   #22
QPC_Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSkies
I do barre by slightly turning my index finger so I press with the side of my index...and frankly, even after 12 years I still can't do a perfect E-minor-shape barre on the 10th+ fret on my Les Paul, the G-string *always* buzzes slightly. I guess that's just how my hand vs. the guitar neck works.

Applying pressure with your index only to the strings that the index finger actually needs to fret is the only actual advice that comes to mind though. Doing a full 6-string barre all the time is just nonsense.

Like for
Am: 577555 -> index puts pressure only on 5xx555.
Dm: x57765 -> x5xxx5
etc.
You don't need to press down all six strings all the time, so that should help.

For the Dm, I agree. My index just frets the A and high-E -- which is fine if I'm going to keep the other fingers in place and not play eg: Dsus2, Dm7
But for the Am, I would find it harder to not fret all 6.

As for your G-string buzzing... Turning your finger to the side can encourage the knuckle which will sit above the G-string to bend so that it rises above the string, ie: doesn't press it down.

Rate This Thread: