Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-06-2013, 03:41 PM   #1
TheWho2
Eric Clapton is G0D

NGD! Blacktop Jazzmaster

I got a Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster for about $340 off eBay.
(big pictures)
show

I read people having problems with the Tremolo and Bridge but I have yet to run into a problem with them. The tremolo works fine and does not make the guitar go out at all, unless of course you are really rough and attempt to do a dive-bomb or something stupid like that.
The neck is a bit wide/bigger than a Strat neck(which I am used to playing) but it is very playable and feels nice in my smallish hands.

show

There is one master tone and one master volume. The tuners work as they should, keeping the guitar in tune.

show

The pickups are pretty good, though I probably will be replacing the bridge pickup with either a P90 or Filterton style pup.

The bridge humbucker sounds like your typical humbucker, powerful and cuts through. It sounds good, but humbuckers aren't for me.

The Neck pickup is a normal Jazzmaster pickup. It kind of sounds like a beefier P90, it has a nice bell-like tone but thicker than a Strat.

The two pickups together have a unique sound to them. They kind of sound like a in-between setting on a Strat, there is a slight quack and twang. It is kind of hard to describe This is probably my favorite sound on the guitar as of now.

(not so big of a picture)
show

This is a very nice guitar both in play-ability, looks and great for a modern sound.
But I have yet to find a guitar as comfortable as my Strat.

Also if anyone knows how to figure out the serial number, that will be greatly appreciated.

There are more pictures on my Tumblr if you care to look.
TheWho2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:57 PM   #2
its_minchew

Looks like a good score! I've been considering a black top tele myself. HNGD!
its_minchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:32 PM   #3
TheWho2
Eric Clapton is G0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by its_minchew
Looks like a good score! I've been considering a black top tele myself. HNGD!

Ah yes, the Tele was my second choice.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:04 PM   #4
|Long|
String Theory

Congrats! The trems are amazing on JMs, but the bridge's are terrible. If you hybrid pick or strum/pick heavily, you'll notice that the string will jump out of the saddle.

You can buy a mustang bridge which is substantially better or a mastery bridge which is almost the cost of your guitar.

I really don't like what they did with the black tops, I find it very difficult to find a reasonable priced authentic JM (SCs, trem, jazz circuit). But the body and necks are always awesome!
Hydroxic acid, kills thousands of people every year. Studies have shown lakes and rivers all over North America contain high levels hydroxic acid. Currently governments have taken no action against this life threatening chemical.
|Long| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:29 PM   #5
TheWho2
Eric Clapton is G0D

I just tested out hybird picking on it, it only popped out if I plucked up really hard, like a lot harder than I would normal do. Only thing I found annoying with the bridge is the saddle screws rattle a bit.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:43 PM   #6
redandwhite12
red and also white

Hawt HNGD

My Youtubez

http://www.youtube.com/user/redandwhite12?feature=mhee
redandwhite12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:39 PM   #7
SteveHOC
Used Register

HNGD! I'm considering one myself!
SteveHOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:38 PM   #8
kangaxxter
tune up turn on rock out

HNGD! What's the serial number? I bet I could date it at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWho2

The pickups are pretty good, though I probably will be replacing the bridge pickup with either a P90 or Filterton style pup.

I'd go with at least a humbucker shaped Pickup, like a TV Jones Filter'tron or if on a budget the GFS copy, just to make it easier to replace.

Guitar

Whenever I hear someone say that they play exclusively a single genre, I always assume that they're just a terrible guitarist.

Last edited by kangaxxter : 01-06-2013 at 09:39 PM.
kangaxxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:49 AM   #9
TheWho2
Eric Clapton is G0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangaxxter
HNGD! What's the serial number? I bet I could date it at least.

I'd go with at least a humbucker shaped Pickup, like a TV Jones Filter'tron or if on a budget the GFS copy, just to make it easier to replace.

Yeah that is what I was thinking. Either a GFS Mean 90 or A GFS Retrotron Liverpool.

And the serial starts with a "MX", I can't find anything on "MX" I just know it is after 2008.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:25 AM   #10
kangaxxter
tune up turn on rock out

What's the next three numbers?

Guitar

Whenever I hear someone say that they play exclusively a single genre, I always assume that they're just a terrible guitarist.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:12 PM   #11
TheWho2
Eric Clapton is G0D

Quote:
What's the next three numbers?

"112"
Old 01-07-2013, 08:39 PM   #12
kangaxxter
tune up turn on rock out

It was made in February or March 2011 in Mexico. That's about all you can from Fender SS/N.

Guitar

Old 01-07-2013, 09:02 PM   #13
TheWho2
Eric Clapton is G0D

Quote:
It was made in February or March 2011 in Mexico. That's about all you can from Fender SS/N.

Ahh good enough for me, thanks.

And I like the saying in your signature.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:28 PM   #14
thegarbearman

I just want to give a little perspective to people who are looking into blacktop jazzy's and may have stumbled across here. There are people out there who are still high off their recent purchase and, therefore, glorify this model as well as some people who have nothing but nasty things to say about it. I'm trying to be unbiased as possible but I feel I have to warn anyone who wants to buy this guitar: don't do it.

It's not that this guitar is bad, it's just not worth its price, and I got it for $350. The J Mascis Squier is better than this guitar and will likely require less work. If you get this you WILL have to do the following: Cut and file the intonation screws on the low strings (otherwise they hit the string and cause a dead buzzing sound everywhere on that string), file down the slots on the saddles (otherwise the string will come out at inconvenient times), and you will have to bend the insertion point of the whammy bar in order to get it to stay in the slot (otherwise it just pulls out). Likewise, you will have to solve the bridge buzzing problem, otherwise it will drive you nuts. This will require playing with 11's or 12's, which is a no go for people like me with small hands (too much tension) or clever tricks with Loctite (putting it on the grub/intonation screws and even between the saddles so as to stop them from rattling against each other) or putting on a buzz stop (has to be put on backwards on a blacktop and it will up the string tension--this worked for me) or get a mastery bridge.

Once you do all this, you have a very mediocre guitar. That's what pissed me off. I put a lot of work into my strat and made it an AMAZING guitar--I put a lot of work on this and all I did was stop the buzz (and it still frets out at 15 on the low e string). I found myself playing my strat more just because the blacktop jazzy was so disappointing. Again, it's not a bad guitar, it just requires massive amounts of work and in the end you don't get any sort of superior sound. The soap bar pickup sounds great, but the humbucker by itself is a little muddy for my taste. The tremolo system is kind of boring compared to a strat tremolo (you can't get all those funky squealing sounds--it's way more surfy/subtle.) If you don't believe me, go look at how many of these things you can find on ebay and craigslist--would people be selling them so fast if they were great guitars? I'm currently trying to get rid of mine. Big disappointment.

You have to remember that Jazzmasters and Jaguars became popular in alternative and surf music due to the fact that they were cheaper and readily available at pawn shops...In other words, you got what you paid for and people were just happy to have a Fender if they couldn't dish out the money for a strat. When you take the price/value factor away, there's really no point in getting them anymore unless they can solve the chronic bridge and tremolo problems (people keep saying the tremolo doesn't put the guitar out of tune and I can't figure out what the hell they're talking about, mine always goes down half a step when I use this guitar's tremolo, unlike my strat.)
thegarbearman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:19 PM   #15
SteveHOC
Used Register

Dude, this thread is 2 months old, why not just start a new thread?
This is also a totally subjective, generalizing view, making sweeping statements about a whole group of guitars. That's fine, but don't shit on someone else's new guitar day thread just to air-out your issues with the guitar.

Edit: ...and that was your first post.

Just read that whole rant again. Have you noticed how many Strats there are on eBay and Craigslist? Sometimes people just don't connect with guitars, that doesn't mean they're pieces of junk.

Last edited by SteveHOC : 03-16-2013 at 02:28 PM.
SteveHOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:54 PM   #16
TheWho2
Eric Clapton is G0D

I've had very little problems with my Jazzmaster.

I replaced the humbucker, because I don't like humbuckers.
I put super glue on the height adjustment screws to stop them from buzzing.
The tremolo bar, only comes out when I want it to come out. And only goes out of tune if I'm hard on it, but the tremolo isn't made to do dive bombs or be rough, it is supposed to be for subtle and smooth tremolo.
Also when I was looking on eBay for one, it was hard to find a used one. There are more used strats on eBay that blacktop jazzmasters.

I do love my strat more than my Jazzmaster, but it is a close second.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:35 PM   #17
SteveHOC
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWho2
I've had very little problems with my Jazzmaster.

I replaced the humbucker, because I don't like humbuckers.
I put super glue on the height adjustment screws to stop them from buzzing.
The tremolo bar, only comes out when I want it to come out. And only goes out of tune if I'm hard on it, but the tremolo isn't made to do dive bombs or be rough, it is supposed to be for subtle and smooth tremolo.
Also when I was looking on eBay for one, it was hard to find a used one. There are more used strats on eBay that blacktop jazzmasters.

I do love my strat more than my Jazzmaster, but it is a close second.

Glad you still dig it. The screw rattle is common, and you fixed it the way most people do. What did you drop in place of the humbucker, just out of curiosity?
Old 03-16-2013, 03:40 PM   #18
Ippon
Amped

Congrats!

Old 03-16-2013, 05:35 PM   #19
kangaxxter
tune up turn on rock out

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegarbearman
I just want to give a little perspective to people who are looking into blacktop jazzy's and may have stumbled across here. There are people out there who are still high off their recent purchase and, therefore, glorify this model as well as some people who have nothing but nasty things to say about it. I'm trying to be unbiased as possible but I feel I have to warn anyone who wants to buy this guitar: don't do it.

It's not that this guitar is bad, it's just not worth its price, and I got it for $350. The J Mascis Squier is better than this guitar and will likely require less work. If you get this you WILL have to do the following: Cut and file the intonation screws on the low strings (otherwise they hit the string and cause a dead buzzing sound everywhere on that string), file down the slots on the saddles (otherwise the string will come out at inconvenient times), and you will have to bend the insertion point of the whammy bar in order to get it to stay in the slot (otherwise it just pulls out). Likewise, you will have to solve the bridge buzzing problem, otherwise it will drive you nuts. This will require playing with 11's or 12's, which is a no go for people like me with small hands (too much tension) or clever tricks with Loctite (putting it on the grub/intonation screws and even between the saddles so as to stop them from rattling against each other) or putting on a buzz stop (has to be put on backwards on a blacktop and it will up the string tension--this worked for me) or get a mastery bridge.

Once you do all this, you have a very mediocre guitar. That's what pissed me off. I put a lot of work into my strat and made it an AMAZING guitar--I put a lot of work on this and all I did was stop the buzz (and it still frets out at 15 on the low e string). I found myself playing my strat more just because the blacktop jazzy was so disappointing. Again, it's not a bad guitar, it just requires massive amounts of work and in the end you don't get any sort of superior sound. The soap bar pickup sounds great, but the humbucker by itself is a little muddy for my taste. The tremolo system is kind of boring compared to a strat tremolo (you can't get all those funky squealing sounds--it's way more surfy/subtle.) If you don't believe me, go look at how many of these things you can find on ebay and craigslist--would people be selling them so fast if they were great guitars? I'm currently trying to get rid of mine. Big disappointment.

You have to remember that Jazzmasters and Jaguars became popular in alternative and surf music due to the fact that they were cheaper and readily available at pawn shops...In other words, you got what you paid for and people were just happy to have a Fender if they couldn't dish out the money for a strat. When you take the price/value factor away, there's really no point in getting them anymore unless they can solve the chronic bridge and tremolo problems (people keep saying the tremolo doesn't put the guitar out of tune and I can't figure out what the hell they're talking about, mine always goes down half a step when I use this guitar's tremolo, unlike my strat.)

cool story, bro.

Guitar

Old 03-16-2013, 05:51 PM   #20
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegarbearman

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
eddiehimself is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: