Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-07-2013, 03:46 PM   #1
Fost0681

Opinion On My Singing please!

So I'm a new musician sort of, "7 years of guitar, two years of songwritting", and I know by playing music for people that It's good, but I want to know if I'm great, good, or descent from an outside source because I don't play shows, here's an unmastered song I recorded, and a demo, thanks

reverbnation.com/pigeonhill/song/15724921-i-took-root-on-rolling-cloud-unmastered

youtube.com/watch?v=e9tR4JkxlIY
Fost0681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:02 PM   #2
chronowarp

I don't know that I'd say you're a great singer, because with this style of singing it's really difficult to tell.
With that said, you sing this style of music very well.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:17 PM   #3
Fost0681

Thanks , I guess I want to see if someone more educated than me notices anything
Old 01-07-2013, 06:38 PM   #4
food1010
Bassist

Your voice definitely works well for the style you're going for.

However, speaking of technique, it's pretty bad. Your diaphragm support is pretty weak and it sounds like you strain your vocal chords a little much. You can hear how your intonation is a bit wobbly on some notes.

It definitely adds character to the song though. You remind me of something in between Marcus Mumford and this guy. Your technique is better than the Tallest Man on Earth, but it has some similar tendencies. Honestly, that's one of the things that defines folk music. Hell, look at Bob Dylan.

You're definitely a better singer than Bob Dylan, but you get my point that proper technique isn't necessary for this genre.

Edit: I thought you were a little too wobbly on the song on ReverbNation. I really liked Fiery Eyed Mammoth though.

What are some of your influences?

Last edited by food1010 : 01-07-2013 at 06:45 PM.
food1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:52 PM   #5
HotspurJr

It's abundantly clear that you're untrained, and I think you could gain a lot from some lessons. It's not that what you're doing is bad, but it's just, well, amateurish. And you're hiding some of that behind production value, but it's still pretty obvious. Go work on your fundamentals, and this will get so much stronger.

I mean, look, this isn't bad - but it's obviously amateur.
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:19 PM   #6
Fost0681

Oh well thanks thats exactly what I wanted to hear "food1010 and hotspur jr", I could never pay for lessons, do you have any suggestions?. I'd like to get the wobblyness out, it's not always there but when it is I can't seem to control it, and also be able to sing loud "properly". I'd say my influences for my folk music were always kind of bad technical singer, early conor oberst, early jack white, Andy Hull, but I'm just not sure I pull off the off pitch, pouting little kid sound, and I don't know how to hear things vocally so it's nice to have gotten some feedback
Old 01-07-2013, 09:08 PM   #7
HotspurJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fost0681
I could never pay for lessons

Why not?

You could almost certainly find some group lessons in your area that aren't too expensive. If this is important to you, why not attack the problem the best way you can?

It's really hard to work on singing technique any other way.
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:28 PM   #8
dbzrkyyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fost0681
Oh well thanks thats exactly what I wanted to hear "food1010 and hotspur jr", I could never pay for lessons, do you have any suggestions?. I'd like to get the wobblyness out, it's not always there but when it is I can't seem to control it, and also be able to sing loud "properly". I'd say my influences for my folk music were always kind of bad technical singer, early conor oberst, early jack white, Andy Hull, but I'm just not sure I pull off the off pitch, pouting little kid sound, and I don't know how to hear things vocally so it's nice to have gotten some feedback

go to youtube Search eric arceneaux. once you find his channel search for his videos about singing from the diaphragm, watch them, do them, then incorporate it into a daily routine. He also has good vocal warm up videos ( 4 i think ) watch and do those.

it may seem like a lot of time, but after you go through the videos once, and know the theory you can skip straight to the actual vocal exercises so the daily routine rarely goes over 30 minutes or so.

Best of luck. I love this genre of music and you sound extremely familiar!
dbzrkyyh is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: