Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Original Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-07-2013, 01:06 AM   #1
aaron aardvark

2 new songs to review (Will C4C, I promise!) New as of Jan. 6th!!

I put 2 new synth songs in my music website: "Stuck on You" is the song on top, and "The Way" is the next song down. Please tell me how you like these songs and how they can be improved. If you review me, I will review you. I promise! Here is the link:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/def...m?bandID=224436
aaron aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:01 AM   #2
Gregjr22

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron aardvark
I put 2 new synth songs in my music website: "Stuck on You" is the song on top, and "The Way" is the next song down. Please tell me how you like these songs and how they can be improved. If you review me, I will review you. I promise! Here is the link:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/def...m?bandID=224436

HI Aaron,
Thanks for reviewing my track I appreciate the input. I listened to your tracks and I enjoyed them. They have an old school feel to them, remind me of something you would hear during a movie. I also liked all the sound effects used, and the mix sounded good. Keep recording! Thanks again.
Gregjr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:51 AM   #3
Pyrotechie

Checked these out after you reviewed my track, I love it! Stuck on You has a real 80's groove to it which is very unique nowadays. The Way was my favorite, the dance-y feel mixed with the dirty vocals really gives a certain accent to the song that works really great. Would love to hear more from ya!
Pyrotechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:57 PM   #4
DancesWithSheep
Muchacho Moderno

"Stuck"

- Interesting intro - attention getter

- 0:38 and 1:47 - like the rise effect

- 0:45 - Lyrics and melody?!!! Way to go! Reminds me of David Byrne

- 2:00 - Great riff rebirth

- 2:56 - like the ending

Not a techno fan - but the cut is unusual and well mixed and produced! Good job!

"The Way"

- Snare seems thin - but it fits & was probably done this way on purpose. Matter of personal taste I suppose...

- Love an artist who has interesting lyrics and melodies, though I did have a hard time catching the words.

- 2:00 - gets a LITTLE repetitive here, but par for the course for this genre - no big deal.

- 3:23 - Another good ending.

Good job on both!

Keep recording, and thanks for your review of Dance the Land of the Funky!

DWS

Muchos gracias, muchachos modernos!
DancesWithSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:54 PM   #5
link55588

Listened to Stuck on You

Very interesting, not a huge techno person but interesting. I like the arrangement of the song, when it kinda halts around 2 mins then the main riff comes back. Sounds very like 90's video gamey.
link55588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:44 PM   #6
SweetenerCorp

I listened to the way. Really like the vocal effects on this track, love that swooping sound. I like the main melody but those drums are distracting not sure exactly why maybe because they're too tinny or because they just sound a little too electronic.
SweetenerCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:49 PM   #7
salamander121
Drummer

Hey thanks for the positive comments man! Here's your crit!:

"Stuck On You" is pretty well produced but from the get-go I'm not a fan of straight up MIDI sounds but it's clear that with this song you've gone for an old-school approach (or at least it seems that).

Ignoring the synths, I think the song is in fact well written - all the parts are interesting and quite separate but seem to lock very well as well as having your voice over the top. The reverb once again does give it an 80's-vibe but like I've said, it seems that was the style here.

So while the synths are up my street, I like the way the songs been written so kudos in that respect.

My solo stuff: Finlay Cable (Soundcloud)
salamander121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:51 PM   #8
tomrgane

Stuck On You
Love the bass riff and you've got a really nice percussion sound. I also really like the little breakdown after the first chorus up to about 2.00

The Way
Preferred the intro to this one, liked the buildup and when they do come in the effects on the vocals are really good, especially in the chorus (about 1.30) and I enjoyed the little solo that followed.

Wish I could be more in depth, but I really don't know much about techno/electronic music outside of DnB
Old 01-11-2013, 02:35 AM   #9
HaydenHohns
Maths/Music Enthusiast

@aaron aardvark: Thanks for the crit, I really like the slap bass sound you have in "Stuck On You", would you mind sharing some settings or tips? That would be awesome.

Stuck On You: I've already said I think the bass sounds awesome. The vocals although fine, are not for me. I thought the use of samples and "decorations" of electronic percussion to be very refreshing. Would have been nice to see more dynamics in the piece. It sort of felt like it just existed. Maybe add more instruments or a solo of some sort. It needs that "wow" factor.

The Way: Much of what I said about the above piece applies here. The samples, the vocals. It was nice to hear a synth solo and such. That was pretty cool. It reeks of 80's Pop. Take that as a compliment if 80's Pop was your intent. Otherwise...

These are probably a little too poppy for my tastes but I'm sure there would be people who froth over this stuff.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:57 AM   #10
aaron aardvark

Gregjr22, Pyrotechie, DancesWithSheep, link55588, SweetenerCorp, salamander121, tomrgane, HaydenHohms,

Thank you for the reviews! I appreciate it! The bass sound in "Stuck On You" is from a Roland Sound Canvas SC-55 synth tone module. I am also capable of playing my electric bass (picked, fingered, or slapped), but I didn't use it in that song. I am into the 80's alternative sound.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:59 PM   #11
KevinFreund
UG Newbie

Sorry it took me a little bit to get back to you Aaron. Listening to "Stuck on You" Exactly what I expected from you. The nice melody and counter melodies. The vocals come in at a good point to keep interest in the song. I like the middle after the first verse. (That ping pong effect) it was really cool. Recording was really clear, good quality. Keep up the nice work
KevinFreund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:03 AM   #12
zymn

Oh hey I remember you! Glad to see you're still making stuff. Your stuff still has that cool 80s theme music sound to it, very John Carpenter/Terminator stuff. Keep going strong man!
zymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:13 AM   #13
\m/Gaz

Listened to stuck on you, liked the bass part in the intro, and the little leads after about 1:30 were great, the vocals were quite well done and fit perfectly for this type of music (also the lyrics fit well). All in all a good representation of what I assume you set out to achieve
Old 01-16-2013, 02:27 AM   #14
bigblockelectra

Is that the machinegun sound effect from a Roland E-20/E-30 that I hear in there?
bigblockelectra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:47 PM   #15
aaron aardvark

KevinFreund, zymn, Gaz, bigblockelectra,
Thank you for your comments! I appreciate it! The machine gun sound is from a Roland Sound Canvas SC-55 synth module, but maybe it's in one of the units you mentioned also.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:47 AM   #16
bigblockelectra

I have an E-30 which predates that unit you mentioned.

Do you also have the jet takeoff sound? That one sounds really cool through a good stereo. Also the clown laugh?
bigblockelectra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:17 AM   #17
aaron aardvark

bigblockelectra,
It does have a jet take off sound. The clown laugh sounds vaguely familiar, I know there are some laughs. If there is any music of yours that you wish me to review, just leave me a link. I tried looking & couldn't find any.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:44 PM   #18
GirlGerms
Stardog Champion

I like the bass in Stuck On You, really nice tone and grumbly feel. I like the song, kind of 80's feel, reminds me of New Order a bit. This track is mixed excellently too, lots of warmth and brightness in the mix.

"I'm just a*Stardog Champion*...
I'm a
*Stardog Champion*
I'm a
* Stardog* baby...
I ain't gonna let ya down, yeah
I'm gonna let ya down.
"
GirlGerms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:41 PM   #19
VíctorG

I agree on the 80's-ish feel for Stuck On You, I think it's pretty original even though I'm not too much into the electronic genre. I liked better The Way, did you make the vocals?

Oh, and thanks for commenting on my song before!
VíctorG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:33 AM   #20
aaron aardvark

GirlGerms & VictorG,
Thank you for the reviews! I appreciate it! I did everything in both songs, including the vocals.

Rate This Thread: