Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Original Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-20-2013, 07:22 PM   #21
BrickIsRed
Irish maniac

You've come a long way since I was last frequently these forums several years ago.
BrickIsRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:08 PM   #22
CarsonStevens
Rocksmith

I listened to "The Way", "Stuck on You", and part of "Attack of the Killer Bees".

"Stuck on You" was the one that stuck (booo) out the most; it was, as previously mentioned, very '80s. I kept thinking I was listening to the second coming of the Thompson Twins or Duran Duran (that's a compliment). I'd say the only thing about the song that sounded off to me was the final note of the melody; you go up a note halfway through the word "you" and it sounds less "stable" than it would if it were a more solid, final note.

That's my only criticism, though - and considering I don't even really like electronica, if that's the worst I can say about it you're golden.
CarsonStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:20 PM   #23
Jack_White455
New Wave Fan

I really liked Stuck On You. It reminds me a little of Cabaret Voltaire and that whole type sound. I'm a big fan of that 80s alt sound and you have seemed to capture it pretty well.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:06 AM   #24
Metal Turtle

That was pretty cool, It reminded me of DEVO or something like in the mid 80's , and i like 80's style of music and i think you have a great sound. I think the effect you used on the 1:04 "come on down" should be on the part "stuck on you" it sounds to different but i know its the chorus not the main vocal parts, but it sounds better in my opinion like how you have on the track "The Way" keep up the great work

Last edited by Metal Turtle : 01-23-2013 at 12:09 AM.
Metal Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:47 PM   #25
Splitvision

"Stuck on you" - Sick awesome tone on the bass(es), are they all digital? I liked the underlying tune, but I didn't really dig the style of the vocals, except for the part at 1:05-1:23 (and wherever it reoccurs in the song). Liked the sound effects here and there in the song (machine gun, explosions etc.), a good addition. Cool song overall!

"The way" - Really loving all the sounds and the melodies of the song itself, I think it's awesome that you make music like this. Only thing is yet again I feel the vocals are a bit too weird for my tastes, a bit too much all over the place. So other than that I loved this song.

You can find a freshly made instrumental by me here:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1584403
Splitvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:04 AM   #26
aaron aardvark

BrickIsRed, CarsonStevens, Jack_White455, Metal Turtle, Splitvision,
Thank you for your comments! I appreciate it! Everything instrumentally in "Stuck on You" is digital: from a Roland SC-55 Sound Canvas synth module.
aaron aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:42 AM   #27
mattmakaha

"Stuck on You": you know....up to about the 0:28 mark, for some reason I was thinking of a scene in Miami Vice, don't know why. Then around 1:05, I was thinking Devo or even David Byrne.
Anyway, it reminds me of 1980s era. Production wise, it sounds tight. But it seemed to lose a little bit of momentum at around 02:00, to me anyway.

"The Way":
whoa, when the vocals came in, that really sounded like David Byrne to me. Wow that's a pretty unique melody you got there....
It really does sound like the 80s but I think you did that on purpose, I think.
Production wise, for this genre, it sounds right on!! Nice use of delay on the lead vocals from 0:52 to 1:05 mark, that was cool!!

Could you go to my thread and leave a comment there:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1584635

Last edited by mattmakaha : 01-25-2013 at 02:49 AM.
mattmakaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:51 PM   #28
awesomo41894

Stuck on you is really neat. I like everything but the vocals. The bass is awesome in it. The intro is prolly my favorite part.

The way is much better than stuck on you imo. The Way vocal wise sounds kind of punk influenced to me. It fits the vibe of the song really well. I love the synth work on this one. Everything is very well arranged and written. Very original sounding. I really liked this one! Great job man!
awesomo41894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:56 PM   #29
Vlaco

Stuck on You does have a very era specific cinematic feel to it. Somebody else mentioned Terminator (the first one, obviously) and that did pop into my head. You've definitely got a great feel for the genre. It's not the kind of song I personally would throw on for casual listening, but it's a nice piece.

The Way, on the other hand, is exactly the kind of thing I like about the 80's. I recently got into Joy Division and She Wants Revenge, and you're very much in the camp as they are with this song musically. The dissonant and dark feel, the synths, and just the vague creepiness factor.... I don't know why I love this kind of music, but I do, and I really like this piece. Well done.

I've got some stuff here if you wanna take a look:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...75#post30968475
Vlaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:06 PM   #30
STONESHAKER
UG Fanatic

I think I have critiqued your work before... do you compose video game soundtracks? I might be thinking of someone else, but anyways, the instrumentation reminds me of the 80's. The vocals definitely remind me of the 80's as well, overall very retro. From a compositional standpoint, it's good and grooves well. I would like it more of the instrumental traveled a bit further away from where it started, but I like weird prog stuff. The structure of the song matches the vibe and that's what matters. Overall, good.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:28 AM   #31
aaron aardvark

mattmakaha, awesomo41894, Viaco, STONESHAKER,

Thank you for the comments! I appreciate it! I don't compose video game soundtracks. You may be thinking of UVER, from France.
aaron aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:14 PM   #32
saladforkspear

Location: a place in a little town, the only way to get there is to go straight down
so everyone was like "stuck on you!" so i was like, i'll listen to that one... i gotta admit its more my mom's cup of tea than mine, but she's from the 80s soo... yay? haha its pretty chill though.. um.. i used to have to clean to music like this... i suck at the art of critique... should i even put a link? yeah, i'm doing it -> http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...292197553423291

i've got a point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr0gNut
No,they're to high end for me.I usually just walk into a random building and scream "FIX MY BANJO NOW!!!!" until they hit me with sticks and call the police.

TSHM.
saladforkspear is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: