Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-08-2013, 02:42 AM   #1
kevC4
UG Senior Member

I don't get it... (headphones weirdness)

I don't know if I should've post this in the headphones thread, but I feel like it's a different subject kinda.

So I've been using these sony MDR-EX50LPB earbuds for a while now and really like them. Only problem is they always break, but anyways that's not the issue. After going though 3 sets of these, I finally decided to get real deal headphones, like the big bose or sennheiser stuff. So I went to some headphones & audio shop where they have a shitton of headphones that you can try with your mp3 player. After trying a bunch of sennheiser (including the hd280 pro) and a lot of other stuff, I couldn't find anything better than those sony earbuds except a bowers & wilkins p5 (even there I don't find them as good) and some 350$ bose headphones. I bought the b&w p5 because they were cheaper and to give it a try for a longuer period of time. I'm not disappointed, but I still think that those sony earbuds sound better, and they're around 20$ now (they were around 50 one or two years ago).

I feel like with the earbuds, each instruments are easier to hear, they also sound clearer. The sound isn't muddy at all, very clear and the bass is pretty heavy too. The only thing the p5s has that the earbuds don't is some more 'punch' in the bass. And the seinnheiser hd280 pro really sounds bad compared to the earbuds too, which I couldn't believe since it's very popular on the internet apparently.

Anyone got any suggestions about this? Any headphones recommendation that might sound better? That might have what I'm searching for?

Last edited by kevC4 : 01-08-2013 at 02:44 AM.
kevC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:47 AM   #2
RPGoof
DT Ambassador

The Sennheiser HD280 Pro have a flat frequency response, which means all the frequencies (in theory) coming out of the speaker are reproduced evenly and naturally, giving you an accurate sound output. The only thing with these is that the bass response is a tad underwhelming, I'll admit. However, you can EQ accordingly - these will rattle your brains if you push them hard enough.

And speaking of pushing them hard enough, what you hear through your headphones is largely dependent on what they are plugged into. I get frustrated using my Sennheiser HD280's with my phone because it sounds bad in all the worst places and it doesn't get as loud as easily as earbuds tend to do. However, when plugged into my USB audio interface, all the audio is crystal clear and even more beautiful than just plugging it into my PC. The capabilities of the device you're plugged into influence the quality of audio more than most people think about, and high quality equipment pushing your high quality speakers makes a world of a difference.

That said, I love my HD280's. I constantly see them in use in music and movie studios so they've got a good following going like you said

Schecter Hellraiser C-8 : POD HD Desktop : Devi Ever Hyperion Fuzz : Squier VM Jazz Bass V

YouTube:Facebook:Soundcloud

LEGAL DISCLAIMER
:This post is fictional and intended for entertainment purposes only.

Last edited by RPGoof : 01-08-2013 at 02:51 AM.
RPGoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:49 AM   #3
ryan_nadon
ass brain

I got some Sennheiser HD598s and the bass sounds amazing on them. Not loud or punchy, just there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexanirider78
You have balls. I like balls....(awkward silence)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

...but the rape never came
ryan_nadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:55 AM   #4
kevC4
UG Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGoof
The Sennheiser HD280 Pro have a flat frequency response, which means all the frequencies (in theory) coming out of the speaker are reproduced evenly and naturally, giving you an accurate sound output. The only thing with these is that the bass response is a tad underwhelming, I'll admit. However, you can EQ accordingly - these will rattle your brains if you push them hard enough.

And speaking of pushing them hard enough, what you hear through your headphones is largely dependent on what they are plugged into. I get frustrated using my Sennheiser HD280's with my phone because it sounds bad in all the worst places and it doesn't get as loud as easily as earbuds tend to do. However, when plugged into my USB audio interface, all the audio is crystal clear and even more beautiful than just plugging it into my PC. The capabilities of the device you're plugged into influence the quality of audio more than most people think about, and high quality equipment pushing your high quality speakers makes a world of a difference.

That said, I love my HD280's. I constantly see them in use in music and movie studios so they've got a good following going like you said

That does make sense I guess. Although it still frustrates me that these earbuds sound really awesome to me compared to all these headphones.

As for my mp3 player, I use my cellphone, a samsung galaxy s2 lte. But if I got it right, you're saying that with a good equalization, they could sound better?
Old 01-08-2013, 03:09 AM   #5
Ascendant

You're used to your old earbuds, when you get new headphones you'll have to adjust to their frequency response which can take a while.
Ascendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:11 AM   #6
ali.guitarkid7
Lonely Pup

*makes thread about headphones*
*says he doesn't know if this should go in the headphones thread*
*begins talking about headphones*
ali.guitarkid7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:14 AM   #7
captaincrunk
See, I Got News for You.

Just don't get headphones for bass. You're dealing with speakers like the size of a dime, you're not gonna get bass. I have a set of HD380 PRO sennheisers. Yeah, there's "bass" down to 20 hz, but it's not the same. It's physics, you're not gonna get bass out of a speaker that small at an appreciable volume.
#15 in the 2012 top 100
#23 in the 2010 top 100

NEW UG ALBUM! GET UG ELECTRONIC ALBUM: DISC THREE TODAY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by element4433
I respect crunk.
captaincrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:22 AM   #8
kevC4
UG Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali.guitarkid7
*makes thread about headphones*
*says he doesn't know if this should go in the headphones thread*
*begins talking about headphones*

What I meant is that it's not really about the headphones themselves, but about my perception of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincrunk
Just don't get headphones for bass. You're dealing with speakers like the size of a dime, you're not gonna get bass. I have a set of HD380 PRO sennheisers. Yeah, there's "bass" down to 20 hz, but it's not the same. It's physics, you're not gonna get bass out of a speaker that small at an appreciable volume.

I don't care about the bass at all really, it's mostly about how clearly I can individually hear each instruments. With the earbuds, it is very easy to distinguish each instruments and it helps a lot when tabbing songs, but mostly, it is a feature that is very enjoyable to my ears. To me, it's as if most headphones make the instruments blend with each others. The only headphones that actually had that characteristic too for me were these 350$ bose ones.

Rate This Thread: