Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-07-2013, 02:38 AM   #1
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

buying from guitar center's used website experience from you all -/+?

i am considering picking up a guitar from the site.

do you guys just kind of order it? and get it at your front step? or do you get it shipped from GC

my old guy (good seller left to be a postman :confused but he said to go down to GC and have a rep call the other store. he said that they will disclose condition better and that the shipping would be free to store.

i know they have a 30 day satisfaction/exchange policy.

has anybody gotten something bad and had to use it? have anybody used it?

i am not worried about not playing prior to purchase, its a prestige ibby, i have two and have played a few more and they were all flawless in terms of quality.

my only real concern is fretwear. when i pick up a guitar i check it like i do, what should i ask them to do to make sure that its accurate.

sorry for all of the questions, yes i probably could have googled some of the answers, but i want to know from you all, as i trust you (most of you as such, and see if there is anything to do different.

experiences? thoughts? advise? any policy i am missing?

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Diamond Compressor
Musket Fuzz
and a few guitars
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:42 AM   #2
sw4l

i bought my line 6 spider IV 15 from GC used and it came packaged well and in really good condition but i bought a store display model so it was pretty much brand new. the only issue i ran in to is that it took them 3 or 4 days untill they shipped it because they said they were "waiting" on the UPS guy to come by.
sw4l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:09 AM   #3
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw4l
i bought my line 6 spider IV 15 from GC used and it came packaged well and in really good condition but i bought a store display model so it was pretty much brand new. the only issue i ran in to is that it took them 3 or 4 days untill they shipped it because they said they were "waiting" on the UPS guy to come by.

thanks. thats not a big deal.

keep 'em comin'

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Diamond Compressor
Musket Fuzz
and a few guitars
Old 01-07-2013, 03:36 AM   #4
Picklelerner
Registered Sex Offender

I've bought a few used things from their site, but it was always a little confusing. They have two different channels in which you can buy used gear and I'm still not sure how it all works out. We've had a few threads about it, I think. Either way, I've never had any issues with anything I bought from them used. I've gotten a few used amps, cabs, and pedals from them online. On one channel/page, you just filter the normal inventory to only used products and purchase it like a normal purchase. On the other, where it seems to be specific to region, you have to call whatever store its at and buy it over the phone. I've done both and find its best to use the second one I mentioned - the prices really vary and theres so much more on there. Plus you get to see what you're buying - the other one just shows a model photo. I don't really mind having to call and order, but I don't understand why they have these two different channels.

I went to the actual store once to buy a cab and really liked one, but not its price. I asked the rep if they had any used ones and he went online for me, found a used one in a different state, and then offered to have me pay for it right there and have them ship it to the store so I could pick it up. He really tried hard to push me into buying a new one which was kind of annoying, but it was really cool of him to do all of that. Not sure if its something they normally do.

However, seeing the condition some of my stuff came in, I wouldn't trust them with used guitars online. Normal wear and tear on a semi-old amp or pedal is a lot different than any sort of wear and tear on a guitar. To be safe I would go through the store to buy it like I did with my cab. Just have them ship it there and test it out in front of them first. If anything is that wrong with it then you could just show them right there and discuss it.

Last edited by Picklelerner : 01-07-2013 at 03:46 AM.
Picklelerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:40 AM   #5
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

I bought a used Tacoma RoadKing from GC last year. Good experience:

1) by having it shipped to the GC nearest me, there was ZERO chance it would get left on my doorstep, stolen or whatever.

2) even though i shopped online, I actually went in store to make the order. That way, I got the salesman to actually call the other stores to have THEIR guys look at the physical guitars I was considering before ordering/shipping.

3) since it arrived in store, I could have the in-store gear tech look at it before I took it home.

...and I STILL had the 30 days to return it.

Of the guitars I went through before picking that RoadKing, there was one which had a hairline crease- possibly a crack- on the top, running with the grain. Returning it was hassle-free.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 01-07-2013 at 03:41 AM.
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:43 AM   #6
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
I bought a used Tacoma RoadKing from GC last year. Good experience:

1) by having it shipped to the GC nearest me, there was ZERO chance it would get left on my doorstep, stolen or whatever.

2) even though i shopped online, I actually went in store to make the order. That way, I got the salesman to actually call the other stores to have THEIR guys look at the physical guitars I was considering before ordering/shipping.

3) since it arrived in store, I could have the in-store gear tech look at it before I took it home.

...and I STILL had the 30 days to return it.

Of the guitars I went through before picking that RoadKing, there was one which had a hairline crease- possibly a crack- on the top, running with the grain. Returning it was hassle-free.

thats exactly what i was looking for. thanks.

any other comments are still welcome.

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Diamond Compressor
Musket Fuzz
and a few guitars
Old 01-07-2013, 04:22 AM   #7
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

I wanted to clarify:

Quote:

Was not me having the right to that inspection- that isn't their policy- but rather, having that as a very convenient option, since it involves walking all of 20 feet to have it done.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:36 AM   #8
Alucard817

I have ordered a bit from GC's used section. I have gotten a 2000/2001 Fender MIM Jazz with Dimarzio pups (Funny enough they never mentioned the pups on the bass so it was basically a freebie), 2008 Fender P bass, '93/'94 Aria Pro II Magna MA-15.

The Jazz wiring was screwed up and the nut was cut wrong. Took it in and after I made it clear to the guy I bought it online (Had to explain it 3 times) they agreed to fix it for free. P bass was in perfect condition. My Magna needs a new pot and want them to check the neck pocket since it isn't flush with the neck. Not a big deal since it doesn't affect the neck. Just want a once over on it.

Only real hassle is since I'm not allowed to drive (vision) it's hard for me to get to a GC.
Also the extra wait if it needs repair sucks.

If you click the more info link on a guitar on that site it gives you the number to the store it's located. I ALWAYS call them personally. I ask millions of questions and make them test it first.

My biggest concern are the frets, and I Always ask them to check the frets for me. Just stay away from anything with 3 stars or less and you're golden. 4 stars may need some minor repairs, 5 stars are perfect.

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.

Last edited by Alucard817 : 01-07-2013 at 04:42 AM.
Alucard817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:39 AM   #9
SteveHOC
Used Register

Ask someone in the store to put eyes on it, to check the frets and any other concerns you might have. I bought my Blackout Tele and Les Paul DC used from GC with great results (the Tele was bought sight-unseen and was in perfect condition aside from pickguard scratching).
SteveHOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:24 PM   #10
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Ordered in a used V33 2x12 Crate amp to the local store, arrived in good order and without problems. They had taken out all of the tubes and wrapped them in bubble wrap and tape prior to shipment, which I thought was a nice touch, since it involved actually taking the amp apart.

Last edited by Arby911 : 01-07-2013 at 12:25 PM.
Arby911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:17 PM   #11
peskypesky

I've only ordered a used pedal from GC so far, but it seems like a helluva lot better way to buy a used guitar on-line than Ebay or Craigslist.

Lots of pluses. The 30-day satisfaction guarantee is HUGE. Also, the fact that you're dealing with a real company, not some potentially shady individual. And then, for me, the fact that the item is shipped to their store seems a lot better than having it left on the doorstep.

Oh, and their prices are almost unbeatable.
peskypesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:52 PM   #12
diskothek
Baby casserole

I bought a re-stock acoustic guitar online, it came from somewhere in the mid-west and it was shipped to my local GC store where I picked up. No shipping charge from one store to the other.

Its an easy way of getting a pretty good deal. And having the 30 days to make sure its the thing you want is pretty boss.
diskothek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:27 PM   #13
jeleopard
Jackson Fanboy!

Ugh. My most recent purchase from GC used is really bumming me out. I got a used Line 6 POD HD500 and it didn't include a power source, nor a USB cable. I've been running all over the place trying to find a 9VDC adapter with 2.5A...

Really annoying.
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
Schecter KM7
83 Gibson Explorer "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
Ibanez SR485
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 POD HD500
jeleopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:42 PM   #14
okiegander

The free shipping from one GC to another GC info is not what I have been told...I spoke to a manager of GC today about getting a used guitar I found online...I was told it would have to be paid in full and I would be charged shipping for it to be shipped from one store to another
okiegander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:55 PM   #15
thebestjoe

I ordered a used ISP Decimation G String back in December. Went into my local one, had them call up the store that had it, and then they shipped it to my house. Came with a ton of bubble wrap quickly (albeit i ordered it from a store that's only ~75 miles north) They gave me some sorta special receipt so that if I had any issues I could get refunded or something like that I mean, for a great noise gate that's $240 new in like new condition for $160 and in box, I wouldn't be complaining anyway as long as it worked when I got it.
RG7621 swirled
Prestige RG1420
AEL207E
thebestjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:58 PM   #16
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

I called once about a used guitar they had for sale on their website. It was actually new, but it was a floor model so they sold it as used(because I guess it technically is). The saleman was a dick, and when I asked if it had and scratches or dings, he basically responded with(in a seriously condescending tone) something like "Yeah, it's a floor model". Here I am ready to buy a guitar based off of one pic and no description on their website, and that douche thought I didn't even deserve a rundown of the wear on the guitar. That was it for me, I hung up and found a killer deal on eBay on the same guitar.

I recently bought a used Sapera I pedal from them. Had it shipped to my door. Great pedal, fast shipping, and got it for much less than the jokers on eBay and CL were asking.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:03 PM   #17
deadsmileyface
Banned

Location: ~~~ lost in the patterns of youth where the windows shine brightly back at u ~~~
I hate to be that guy, but I never buy used gear sight unseen. New gear, maybe. But I don't trust the pictures on GC to show the condition of the used guitar/amp/pedal in question.
deadsmileyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:28 PM   #18
peskypesky

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsmileyface
I hate to be that guy, but I never buy used gear sight unseen. New gear, maybe. But I don't trust the pictures on GC to show the condition of the used guitar/amp/pedal in question.

they have a 30-day money back guarantee. buy without fear!
peskypesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:13 AM   #19
deadsmileyface
Banned

Location: ~~~ lost in the patterns of youth where the windows shine brightly back at u ~~~
Quote:
Originally Posted by peskypesky
they have a 30-day money back guarantee. buy without fear!

Good point.
deadsmileyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:22 AM   #20
plexi123

I bought an old Univox amp online from Guitar Center. The UPS guy threw it at the door, I guess he didn't feel like walking up 2 steps, so the cab broke and the chassis was hanging on the side. In the picture it was all in one piece so I blame the UPS guy for that, but instead of the Jenson that was supposed to be in the amp, there was a cheap Radio Shack speaker. I had to pay to ship it back, but at least I got most of the money back.
plexi123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: