Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-10-2013, 10:09 AM   #21
amitm9s6

Also, from the bands I've gave above, you think the Epiphone Les Paul would fit better then a Fender Standard Stratocaster?

Thanks!
amitm9s6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:39 AM   #22
woad_yurt

Humbuckers sound thicker, single coils, thinner. For the bands you mentioned, a humbucker guitar would be better.
woad_yurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:21 PM   #23
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitm9s6
I've found this guitar which is like 15$ more then the normal Strato strandard guitar :
'Fender FSR Standard HSS Stratocaster'

Which looks like this :
http://images.guitarcenter.com/prod...4.001_black.jpg

Is this the HSS you ment ?

Probably.

Can you link us to the store you're shopping from? Would make it a lot easier for us to see what you're dealing with.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:40 PM   #24
LP1951

HSS or HSH SuperStrat is what you need. Kramer FR 422s or 424s are great guitars at great prices. You can buy them on ebay or CL for $250 or less.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:12 PM   #25
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Can you try the guitars in a store? That's the only way to tell which one of them is the best. Some people prefer Les Paul, others Stratocaster. It's your decision. At least IMO a pickup upgrade would do good to the sound of the Les Paul. The stock pickups aren't that great. Can't say anything about the Strat. But first try them and find out if you like them stock (I would try to buy a guitar that I don't need to mod). You might like the stock pickups of the Les Paul. I didn't think they were bad at all before I got my Charvel that had a lot better pickups.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:10 PM   #26
amitm9s6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
Probably.

Can you link us to the store you're shopping from? Would make it a lot easier for us to see what you're dealing with.

Purchasing from a store that is in hebrew...
Old 01-10-2013, 02:20 PM   #27
gregs1020
Hi mom!

kosher HSS strat.

no seriously, you need to try a few and see what feels best to you. like others have said i'd agree with the fact that you want a humbucker pick up in the bridge position.

meaning this configuration, if you prefer the strat feel.

it's your first guitar, and if you stick with it you will wind up with a few before too long.

having a strat, les paul and a tele style guitar at some point is always a good thing.
(or several of each and a few prs doesn't hurt either).

if i've ever aspired for anything...
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:39 PM   #28
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Quote:

I bet it's a good place to find a guitar for playing some Black Shabbat, Godschmuck, Schmotörhead...

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:45 PM   #29
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Quote:

I'm sure I can stumble my way through, with the help of Google Translate.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Old 01-10-2013, 03:05 PM   #30
amitm9s6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
I'm sure I can stumble my way through, with the help of Google Translate.

The guitar selection isnt that big..

In my range of the money, those are ALL the possebilites :
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard
- Yamaha Pacifica PAC112V
- Ibanez ARZ300
- Epiphone Les Paul Custom
- Fender Standard Stratocaster
- Fender FSR Standard Stratocaster Electric Guitar
- Fender FSR Standard HSS Stratocaster
- Fender Standard Telecaster - Brown Sunburst

maybe (pretty low chance) Ill be able to get Fender FSR Standard HH Stratocaster

Also, I've tried the standard stratocaster & epiphone les paul standard for about 5 minutes each (didnt had time at the moment, just went there to change my strings), and I liked the stratocaster better then les paul, though I did not touch any of the pickups or anything, just played on the same pickup I got it on... though your saying Ill have a pretty problem with the distortion.. (played Kryptonite by 3 doors down on distortion, and had a pretty good distortion sound!)

Last edited by amitm9s6 : 01-10-2013 at 03:07 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:08 PM   #31
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Personally I'd go for the Yamaha out of that list. I'm very fond of Yamaha, in my experience their products are far better than their price tags would lead you to believe.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Old 01-11-2013, 11:16 AM   #32
amitm9s6

Guys check this out :

Sound pretty good, no ?

By the way, I can allways go for a distortion pedal that will make the strat sound better, right ?
Old 01-11-2013, 11:32 AM   #33
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Most distortion pedals don't sound that good, until you're dropping at least $200 on them. That video doesn't tell us anything - He's playing through a Mesa Rectifier, and he's probably using a noise gate for the 60 cycle hum. Do you have those things? Because if not you're not going to get that sound.

It's a common misconception to think that the guitar really shapes your sound, but it has very little impact on it overall - it's more like the guitar determines the nuances of your sound. A Les Paul or a Strat through a Rectifier are both going to sound like someone playing through a Rectifier - just a slightly different sound between the two.

The most important job of the guitar is to feel good in your hands - if you really like the way the Strat felt when you played it, then go for it.

As has been mentioned here, we say get humbuckers because they are much quieter when you're using high gain if you don't have a noise gate. If you like single coils, there's nothing wrong with going SSS - just be aware that you may get a lot of hum and noise.

An HSS setup is a good choice because it gives you both: humbuckers and single coils in the same guitar.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Old 01-11-2013, 12:01 PM   #34
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Quote:
Guys check this out :

Sound pretty good, no ?

By the way, I can allways go for a distortion pedal that will make the strat sound better, right ?

I don't think that sounded really metal. It was too twangy and harsh for metal riffing. The sound would suit other styles much better.

I don't think you will get rid of the Strat sound if you are playing on a Strat. It will always sound like a Strat, even if you play through a distortion pedal. So if you want that humbucker sound, get humbuckers. There's no point in buying a cool looking guitar that sounds like crap and trying to fix its sound by investing on pedals.

I would buy the HSS Strat because you seem to want a Strat and a humbucker sound.

What kind of amp do you have/are going to buy? (Strange that nobody had asked it before.)

BTW, FSR stands for Fender Special Run. I'm not sure what that means feature-wise (it might have a cool finish or something) but I'm pretty sure it's pretty close to the Standard Strat.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c

Last edited by MaggaraMarine : 01-11-2013 at 12:02 PM.
MaggaraMarine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:29 PM   #35
amitm9s6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggaraMarine
I don't think that sounded really metal. It was too twangy and harsh for metal riffing. The sound would suit other styles much better.

I don't think you will get rid of the Strat sound if you are playing on a Strat. It will always sound like a Strat, even if you play through a distortion pedal. So if you want that humbucker sound, get humbuckers. There's no point in buying a cool looking guitar that sounds like crap and trying to fix its sound by investing on pedals.

I would buy the HSS Strat because you seem to want a Strat and a humbucker sound.

What kind of amp do you have/are going to buy? (Strange that nobody had asked it before.)

BTW, FSR stands for Fender Special Run. I'm not sure what that means feature-wise (it might have a cool finish or something) but I'm pretty sure it's pretty close to the Standard Strat.

To be honest, I liked the sound of the strat more then the sound of the epiphone les paul...

and Ill probablly will get Fender Mustang 1

Rate This Thread: