Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-07-2013, 04:24 PM   #1
IhaveAnAlexi600

Suggestions for acoustic guitars

looking for a cheaper but decent one with a price range of 400.
i have been looking at the ltd xtones as their necks seem ideal to me.

any other options would be great.

thanks
IhaveAnAlexi600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:49 PM   #2
mark.bark
Laugh often and sleep in

dollars or pounds?

Ive got a dean exotica splated maple and i love it, and was only £350
mark.bark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:16 PM   #3
stepchildusmc

for 400 US you can get some really great entry level guitars. what about the necks on the ltd's works for you? smaller faster electric type necks? what kind of music are you planning on playing with it?
stepchildusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:43 AM   #4
IhaveAnAlexi600

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepchildusmc
for 400 US you can get some really great entry level guitars. what about the necks on the ltd's works for you? smaller faster electric type necks? what kind of music are you planning on playing with it?

i like faster necks
Old 01-08-2013, 03:32 AM   #5
dannyalcatraz

Then you probably want to look at Ovations- there necks are the most like electrics.

And they're good, solidly built guitars, too.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 01-08-2013 at 05:36 AM.
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:35 AM   #6
IhaveAnAlexi600

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
Then younprobablynwant to look at Ovations- there necks are the most like electrics.

And they're good, solidly built guitars, too.

awesome thanks will do
Old 01-08-2013, 07:52 AM   #7
unplugged89

Everything about this thread is making me sad.
unplugged89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:56 PM   #8
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by unplugged89
Everything about this thread is making me sad.

A very helpful threadcrap.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:26 PM   #9
unplugged89

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
A very helpful threadcrap.

Sorry, I was sad and that made me a bit douche-y.

I'll make a proper contribution now.

So none of the guitars named in this thread are to my personal liking. I've never heard of LTD making acoustics, so I looked up an example of the sounds on youtube and I was a bit disappointed. I've seen other companies like Ibanez and Fender try to make acoustic guitars and I always think the same thing; these guys should stick to electric guitars. Their acoustics always sound a bit thin, sterile and heavy on the treble end.

I don't like Ovations either, partly because of the sound, but mostly for a much more fundamental reason. They tout themselves as being the guys who improved the acoustic guitar, and they just haven't. If they had, then they wouldn't be the only company making acoustics with those peculiar curved backs. I've tried them a few times and they're not comfortable to hold and they didn't sound like an acoustic guitar should.

I would recommend looking into companies who have a speciality in acoustic guitars. I own a Blueridge guitar and it is fantastic. Plays nicely, has a beautiful booming acoustic sound and it was 1/3 the price of the Larrivee I was comparing it to (and 3x better in my eyes). I would say look them up.

Also look up Yamaha. Please, hear me out on this one. I noticed that one of the qualities you're looking for is an acoustic that plays like an electric, and Yamaha fits this very well. Mine has super-low action, very high radius on the fretboard and fast-playing frets. It also sounds very nice, if not slightly flat (but that could be because it's my only dreadnought in a rack of OM style acoustics). They're also very affordable and well built, which would be good for you if you decide that electric guitars are more your thing.

Anyway, I hope this has been helpful, and I would like to remind you that this post is a rather subjective view on what qualities to look for in an acoustic guitar. Ultimately, if that LTD fits you best and allows you to sound as good as you can, that is the right one for you.

P.S. Also, look at Taylor. Very nice necks.
unplugged89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:00 PM   #10
dannyalcatraz

More like it.

I actually own a Yamaha and an Ovation.

Of the Yamahas, I will say that they make very good acoustics- good sound, good value for money.

I personally prefer Seagulls (and the acoustics made by Godin's other subsidiaries)*, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with Yamahas.

Of Ovations, it is true that they have a sound that is different, and may not be to everyone's liking. However, there are several pros who use them extensively- Robert Fripp, Kaki King, Al Di Meola and Melissa Etheridge, to name a few. In the end, they ARE well made, and can take the punishment most people dish out.

* definitely worth looking at, too: http://godinguitars.com/

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 01-08-2013 at 04:02 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:53 PM   #11
IhaveAnAlexi600

awesome thanks guys
Old 01-08-2013, 09:48 PM   #12
stepchildusmc

i'll follow Danny. i own a stupid amount of guitars( more than my ability dictates that i should). most have their special purpose as do unplugged's. the music im playing dictates which guitar i use. i do tend to go with my Ovations more because they fit the style of music i play most often(A7X,5FDP,shinedown type stuff). the neck profile is very electric like and im comfortable with that. they have a good down n dirty sound that works well with that kind of music.
when i'm playing lighter stuff like mayer i tend to use my Taylor or Seagull. when i'm accompanying someone else i like my Yamaha's deep rich sound.
all suit their purpose.
one thing that they all have in common is onboard electronics so i can amp 'em up if needed. and amped up, the Ovations really shine on their own.
again...this is all personal taste but, i do try to keep an open mind about guitars( i picked up the Yammie and Seagull because of the reviews i read here about them... figured if i was gonna spend someone else' money for them, i should have some experience myself with it.)
Old 01-08-2013, 10:02 PM   #13
dannyalcatraz

Heh...I still need to get myself a Seagull. Probably an S6, but I've also been thinking of a 12-string.

Which then gets me thinking about Breedloves. *sigh*

Old 01-08-2013, 10:11 PM   #14
stepchildusmc

oh god...not another suggestion danny ! i'm running out of wall space and i'm "saving " for a very special custom shop Les Paul. i'm good on the 12 string, had one a while back that didn't fare so well with me, although i've dropped 60 lbs since then and i probably wouldn't toothpick it this time.
i do really enjoy the Seagull(S6 slim... neck like my O's). the cedar is such a nice diversion from spruce.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:33 PM   #15
IhaveAnAlexi600

i played some yamahas today and i did like them. i still want to try an ovation cause the neck sounds ideal to me as you guys say they are built like electrics
Old 01-08-2013, 11:00 PM   #16
stepchildusmc

the O's are great. you hafta remember though, they were designed from the start to be played plugged in. amped up, they're spectacular. they sound good unplugged if you choose the right ones. the sound is different than a traditional guitar... no mistaking that. i would recommend trying a mid or deep bowl one. the shallows are really crappy unplugged and lets face it... thats when you'll play it the most. not many in your price range new, but a used guitar is just as good if not better than a new one in my opinion... if you find one that wasnt hacked away at by some idiot with rockstar dreams.
my list of ones to look for would be a used Seagull S6, an Ovation Elite series or mid-depth celebrity or just any Yamaha( just plain good guitars for the money) i love my AC3M but thats a bit out of your price range.
once you get some finger time in... search out a Carbon Fiber guitar to try... another world entirely!
Old 01-09-2013, 02:50 AM   #17
IhaveAnAlexi600

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepchildusmc
the O's are great. you hafta remember though, they were designed from the start to be played plugged in. amped up, they're spectacular. they sound good unplugged if you choose the right ones. the sound is different than a traditional guitar... no mistaking that. i would recommend trying a mid or deep bowl one. the shallows are really crappy unplugged and lets face it... thats when you'll play it the most. not many in your price range new, but a used guitar is just as good if not better than a new one in my opinion... if you find one that wasnt hacked away at by some idiot with rockstar dreams.
my list of ones to look for would be a used Seagull S6, an Ovation Elite series or mid-depth celebrity or just any Yamaha( just plain good guitars for the money) i love my AC3M but thats a bit out of your price range.
once you get some finger time in... search out a Carbon Fiber guitar to try... another world entirely!

i have been looking around and its hard to decide
Old 01-09-2013, 07:28 PM   #18
stepchildusmc

don't rush it. when you find the one you want, you'll know. me... they all call to me( may you never get GAS). if i were in your shoes i'd prefer the yamaha fgx730 myself. good guitar, onboard tuner/electronics( much easier to buy it with built in electronics, cheaper and easier than trying to retrofit later) you'll never add a pickup later as good as the factory can do it. even if you dont plug it in all the time, its there when you need it.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:45 PM   #19
dannyalcatraz

Patience is your friend. It took me 3 years to decide on a car, as well as to pick out my first electric guitar.

It took another year and a half after that for me to pick out my amp.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:29 PM   #20
stepchildusmc

holy crap Danny !( and speaking of those, you must plan those out a few weeks in advance !) car was easy, as soon as i could walk again the Boss 302 was hitting showrooms. for everyday driving i picked up the first car i saw on the side of the road... a '99 Corolla !...shoulda gone for the second car i saw in hindsight....sigh.

Rate This Thread: