Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-07-2013, 06:47 PM   #1
McTome

Beginner guitarist. Lessons/songs?

After playing bass for 8 years, I got myself a new guitar and amp today. It's the first time I've thought about seriously learning guitar, so I want to do it right. Usually, I would just mess around with random riffs and easy songs on my older brother's guitar.

Simple questions.

I am going to browse the lessons on the main site tomorrow, but are there any recommendations of which ones to use?

From personal experience, which songs are good for beginners? I mostly played metal, rock and pop stuff on my bass, but I am open to new stuff and anything that will help with technique.

In the future, I want to be able to play melodic solos, nice chord oriented songs, palm muted riffs and stuff where you can feel the mood, in a way.

I need help getting started. Any help is appreciated.
McTome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:01 PM   #2
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Use www.justinguitar.com it's very structured. Use the tab here for songs and lessons here for when you are given stuff on that site.

But that's a second best to having a teacher. You will progress 10x faster with one, plus the information you get will be filed properly, unlike me where I had to unlearn everything and relearn it all again in the right order with the right information. Consider it.

What bands do you like?

Some good easy stuff to play would be;

Satisfaction
Highway to Hell
Smoke on the water
Brown eyed girl

Just learn all the major chords and their minor counterparts from justinguitar or YouTube. Start with A, C, D, E, G. Then move onto Am, Am7, Amag7, B7, Bm7, DM, E,M, E7, EM7, F. Then learn the m7 and major 7 chords. Then move on to barre chords and learn B and Fm and ta daaa you've got a load of songs under your belt

That's just a start. What bands/songs/guitarists do you like? It's best to learn songs with the chords in them, gives you motivation.

That's my advice anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Last edited by Mephaphil : 01-07-2013 at 07:12 PM.
Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:49 PM   #3
charlie__flynn
sex...beer...charlie!

^This is good advice, I would also add to learn a couple of songs that you enjoy and that are easy (not sure what this is for you), but for me it was simple punk songs like the misfits or songs like seven nation army by the white stripes, that way if I was getting frustrated I could just jam along to a simple track and remember how fun it is to play guitar.

A good teacher is always the best option though.

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
charlie__flynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:25 PM   #4
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Seven nation army is a good one! You'll probably know the bass line!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:35 PM   #5
triface
Drenched in Syrup

This may not be to your liking, but I thought Heroes by David Cook was pretty effective at forcing me to learn switching between palm muting and... Not palm muting. If you're interested, I just checked and it's on YouTube.

Member of the 7-String/ERG Legion
triface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:56 PM   #6
JimDawson
Storywriter, Guitar nerd.

Well, I came into this thread thinking you were a noob to music in general. I was going to suggest "House of the Rising Sun" by The Animals. Actually, I still recommend it because it shows you the basic open chord shapes (except G Major, but **** G Major). I don't know how familiar you are with chords on bass (probably not very familiar I would guess).

Even if it isn't your bag, this song is a classic and a great way to figure out them open chords and get on to some finger picking. I imagine you have some sense of rhythm being a bass player, but try to focus on how pitch can develop a song.

Sorry if any of this sounds condescending, but I really don't know how much you know and you did say you wanted beginner info.

Actually, since you seem to be into metal, if you want try figuring out some of the riffs to "Angel of Death" by Slayer. It's fast, but not really as complex as you might think. You have a background in a rhythm instrument, so I think you could have a good shot at it. Slayer does lots of palm muting and fifth (power) chord rhythms really fast.

Last edited by JimDawson : 01-07-2013 at 09:00 PM.
JimDawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:15 PM   #7
McTome

Awesome stuff, guys. The website Mephaphil linked looks REALLY good. I will definitely be using that.
Lately, I've been listening to a lot of CKY, Nightwish, Florence + The Machine, Children Of Bodom, Bon Jovi, Disney songs and Audioslave.

Seven Nation Army is a good idea! I will learn that, too!

@JimDawson: Don't worry about being condescending. I haven't played any instrument for about 3 years since I moved to Germany. Slayer IS a good idea for palm muting, I remember attempting to learn Raining Blood ages ago. I'll give those two songs a go again.

I can't really afford a teacher right now, so the online stuff will have to suffice.
McTome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:27 PM   #8
stijnhendriks

i now play about 1.5 years electric guitar and I play now about 4 years acoustic guitar but i need better sound on my electric guitar. i've now got: an fender squier guitar and a line 6 spider IV amplifier 15 watts but how do I make it sound like linkin park or avenged sevenfold or do I need new stuff? help plzz!
stijnhendriks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:27 PM   #9
JimDawson
Storywriter, Guitar nerd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stijnhendriks
i now play about 1.5 years electric guitar and I play now about 4 years acoustic guitar but i need better sound on my electric guitar. i've now got: an fender squier guitar and a line 6 spider IV amplifier 15 watts but how do I make it sound like linkin park or avenged sevenfold or do I need new stuff? help plzz!

Don't jack the guy's thread. For that matter, a guitar techniques forum isn't even the right place for this.
JimDawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:34 PM   #10
beau05
UG Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie__flynn
A good teacher is always the best option though.

I agree, with you and the guy that posted above you

I took lessons for the first time after learning shit off the internet for 6 years, and I learnt more in the first lesson than I ever did trying things out by myself

What made it even better was that not only was my tutor classically trained (he was in the middle of a Classical degree at Uni), but he was also a wedding guitarist playing heaps of simple yet effective songs. It was the best of both worlds

Doing it on your own works, but with the right tutor its even better

Edit: freelicks.net <--This is pretty good too, I learnt most of shit from here haha

Last edited by beau05 : 01-08-2013 at 07:41 PM.
beau05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:11 AM   #11
malibusunset

I agree with beau05, you could spend years tinkering about playing songs you like but it's only by doing the discipline of structured lessons that you will really challenge yourself and progress your technique.
malibusunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:23 PM   #12
InfiniStudent

Where to start? I highly recommend reading Freepower's Sticky threads in this very Forum:
"Read me beginners!"
&
"READ THIS STICKY: (guide to All Techniques") - may take awhile to absorb but good to get it rattling around in your mind (and re-visit often)

Great Stuff!

Also, YouTube has some GREAT free stuff on it (especially the stuff from "obviously real" instructors like those from GuitarWorld magazine)

One song good for Beginners is "When I Come Around" by Green Day, it's ALL power chords with good typical (different) song/verse progression blocks, AND even has a super easy mini-solo. (If you want to do the "more advanced" version of the song you can add/include palm muting and pick raking to try and make it "sound just like the CD" - in the beginning these can be flubbed)

I also started off as a Bass player. Guitar was just too F'n hard and I was too eager to play songs (without putting in the time Guitar requires). I played bass for 4 or 5 years (hoping to pick up common foundation - I did).
I finally "Quit" playing guitar (dropped all expectations) and just started "playing" guitar whenever I had free time. After a loooooong time of just "hobbying" and keeping my hands occupied, something magical happened!!! It all started coming together and for the first time I could see that becoming an "actual guitarist" was now really doable.
Then I switched gears and formally started studying again.

(It's not everyone's path, nor the best path, it just happened to be mine.)

A LOT of it in the beginning is simply the time it takes for your left hand to get strong enough.

Happy Jammin!

Last edited by InfiniStudent : 01-11-2013 at 05:25 PM.
InfiniStudent is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: