Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-08-2013, 02:16 PM   #21
Deadpool_25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthV
RG1550m? Or if you don't like pickguards (or maple fretboard), the rg1570. Basically, in 2003 the rg550 & rg570 were renamed rg1550 and rg1570. The largest difference was the change from the Edge (or Lo Pro Edge) to the newer Edge Pro trem. Plus the Prestige name added on

As to what were the best out of the 20+ years of production of the Rg550/570/1550/1570, everyone would have their own take on the subject. Personally, I prefer the original wizard neck with the AANJ and the lo pro edge bridge. That combo was only made in 1996 for the rg570

That being said, I find that my 2008 1570 fits my hands better than my older '93 s540 or newer 2010 rg3570.

Well, I was more asking what the newer version of those were...I don't think they are still making any of those models?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyze250f
http://tucson.craigslist.org/msg/3448888961.html

Says the pups need to be wired but that's no big deal really... for $250 you'd be getting a pretty damn well playing guitar assuming the neck is good.

Hell you could even hold on to the $750 and pick up another guitar when something comes around.

Thanks, I'll check that out.
- Epiphone Bonamassa LP
- Epiphone Dot

Amp
- Tweed Blues Jr. NOS
- Vypyr 60

Deadpool_25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:17 PM   #22
Deadpool_25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
+1 RG1550/1570 all the way. The old block heels are ****ing aweful, no idea how they get so much love. I also think the Edge Pro is a nicer trem than the original Edge.

That aside, do you have a neck profile preference? Body shape preference? Wood preference?

Hm. A dissenting opinion. I have been looking for a RG1550 or 1570 for a decent price. Any out there that you noticed that look good?
- Epiphone Bonamassa LP
- Epiphone Dot

Amp
- Tweed Blues Jr. NOS
- Vypyr 60

Old 01-08-2013, 02:32 PM   #23
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadpool_25
Hm. A dissenting opinion. I have been looking for a RG1550 or 1570 for a decent price. Any out there that you noticed that look good?

Not sure exactly what you're asking, but personally I'd go for an RG3120 or 3520, maybe a 2620, because I don't like middle single coils. Pretty much any Ibby Prestige can be found used for under a grand... you just have to watch eBay and snipe 'em. They're really amazing bang for buck used.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:53 PM   #24
DarthV

Quote:
Well, I was more asking what the newer version of those were...I don't think they are still making any of those models?

They still make the rg1570, but it's now the 1570z, with the edge zero bridge. With the ZPS enabled, it's stupidly stable and double stop bending friendly. Doesn't have the feel of the edge pro tho.

What you'd want to look for are the pre-prestige rg550, 560, 570, 750, 760 & 770 models. I'd stick to only ones with the AANJ (1993+). Or any Prestige badged RGs. If you branch out to the sleek S series, I'd avoid the MiK prestiges that were produced from 2003/4 til 2008.

Offworld, that's why 99% of Ibanez players have the middle single coil as low as it can go I'd much prefer not having the middle pup, but when buying used (and good used deals) means you can't be TOO picky I really should order a replacement pick guard for my 2550 and remove the middle pup

And that deal for $250, if it's in good operational shape (no locking nut or neck joint cracks + non rusted/mangled trem knife edges), I'd snap it up. I don't really have room for any more, but Oh wait, that's doesn't have the AANJ, it's definitely not 11 years old, more like 20!
Kemper KPA
DarthV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:04 PM   #25
J_W

I picked up a RGR1570 Prestige a few months back in perfect condition for 400 bucks. I see them every now and then on CL for under 500. I friggin love this guitar. So much so that I want to sell off some of my other guitars for another Prestige but a HH configuration. Singles aren't my thing.

So what Im saying is, here is another vote for a used prestige. Great bang for your buck.
J_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:55 PM   #26
Deadpool_25

I found one on eBay. I'm not sure the description is right. I don't think that's the edge zero. Thoughts on this one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380538230191?
- Epiphone Bonamassa LP
- Epiphone Dot

Amp
- Tweed Blues Jr. NOS
- Vypyr 60

Old 01-08-2013, 06:34 PM   #27
Deadpool_25

LOL Nevermind. I thought I was submitting an offer but that offer got instantly accepted. It's a new 2012 RG1570. Guess I'll have a new guitar soon.

Thanks for all the help!
- Epiphone Bonamassa LP
- Epiphone Dot

Amp
- Tweed Blues Jr. NOS
- Vypyr 60

Old 01-08-2013, 07:11 PM   #28
whyze250f
UG's OCD resident.

nice, congrats man!!!

Guess we'll be seeing a NGD from you soon.
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
whyze250f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:49 PM   #29
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher

Nice!

I miss my old 1570. Very solid capable all round guitars.

1977 Burny FLG70
Tom 1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:57 PM   #30
J_W

Quote:
LOL Nevermind. I thought I was submitting an offer but that offer got instantly accepted. It's a new 2012 RG1570. Guess I'll have a new guitar soon.

Thanks for all the help!

Congrats, you will love it.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:42 PM   #31
DarthV

Same year as mine, you'll love it. One note, if you want to upgrade the pickups, it's possible that the pickup cavities are routed more shallow than you'd expect. I can't install any higher output Dimarzios in mine. Tried a crunchlab/liquifire set, no luck. I do know most Bare Knuckles will
Kemper KPA
Old 01-08-2013, 08:55 PM   #32
dannyalcatraz

Quote:

Thanks for all the help!

H(immanent)NGD!

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:06 PM   #33
Deadpool_25

Thanks all. I'm excited. Now to figure out whether to ditch my JVM. Hmmm....

Quote:
Same year as mine, you'll love it. One note, if you want to upgrade the pickups, it's possible that the pickup cavities are routed more shallow than you'd expect. I can't install any higher output Dimarzios in mine. Tried a crunchlab/liquifire set, no luck. I do know most Bare Knuckles will

Good info there, thanks. I hear the V7/8 combo is pretty good but it's good to know changing them out may not be a simple plug and play deal.
- Epiphone Bonamassa LP
- Epiphone Dot

Amp
- Tweed Blues Jr. NOS
- Vypyr 60

Old 01-09-2013, 02:52 AM   #34
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

i just ordered my third prestige. 1570 from GC's used site for $503 to my door. five star rating and just has a small ding, and is supposedly mint.

i love prestiges. i have a 3550MZ (a tad under $700 brand new from GC) a 2570EVSL ($380 from CL) and now the 1570 which should be here before monday. i don't know what year is but its "gunmetal"

you will love it.

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
looking for an attenuator.

Last edited by trashedlostfdup : 01-09-2013 at 02:55 AM.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:42 AM   #35
Controlpanel
qɐuuǝp

^that's nuts...a 3k series Prestige for under a grand?

Jelly.
Originally Posted by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
Controlpanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:19 AM   #36
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Controlpanel
^that's nuts...a 3k series Prestige for under a grand?

Jelly.

it was new. i think in another thread where i was talking to dannyalkatraz that some jurisdictions don't allow a lay-a-way (unpaid) to be sold as new, and he thought that it could have been an unpaid lay-a-way. also it was a year and a half old when i got it.

it was sitting at the highest tier off in a corner of the wall hanging area. under $700. the only issue is that they didn't have a trem bar but it was like $15 so that wasn't a big deal. took three months to get from japan, but he gave me another one that he found free after a few inquires (so i got one arm free).

it was mint and it actually still is. the total was a tad under $700.

honestly comparing the 2k series to 3k series, other than a different trem, inlays and pickups (real dimarzios), they are both stellar instruments, in terms of quality and construction they are equal. i have one in STD one in Drop-D and the new one will be in C# standard.

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
looking for an attenuator.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:23 AM   #37
DarthV

Quote:
Good info there, thanks. I hear the V7/8 combo is pretty good but it's good to know changing them out may not be a simple plug and play deal.

The stock pups are nothing to write home about, been mulling over upgrading them. But I have a great Master of Puppets profile built on my Kemper that seems to fit the v7/v8 pair perfectly, so I don't really want to ruin that :P
Kemper KPA
Old 01-09-2013, 11:43 AM   #38
constructbot
Big Bird Approves

RG3120 Prestige if you can find one. I have one and it's great.
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
constructbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:36 PM   #39
J_W

Quote:
The stock pups are nothing to write home about, been mulling over upgrading them. But I have a great Master of Puppets profile built on my Kemper that seems to fit the v7/v8 pair perfectly, so I don't really want to ruin that :P

I still have the stock pickups in mine as well, they really aren't that bad. I'm sure in the future I will swap them out, but for now they do the job just fine.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:44 PM   #40
whyze250f
UG's OCD resident.

Quote:

IMO the v8 (bridge pick up) is the worst one out of the set, at first I didn't think that they were that bad but as time went on they started bothering me. I put a vintage 3 conductor dimarizio that I had laying around and it sounds pretty good, will probably be putting some nice pups in soon tho.
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
whyze250f is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: